home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 03-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Default New B230 Fuel Rail no Cold Start Port?

Hey guys

I just bought a brand spanking new fuel rail for a b230FT engine and I noticed a couple of differences from the rail that came off of the engine. Other then it being new and shiny it appears to require different type of retaining clips for the injectors, it has a port between injector 1 and 2 which looks like a schrader valve would fit inside there. In addition it has no port for the cold starting fuel supply which would typically be between injector 3 and 4.

The part number I ordered is 6842429. The car the engine came out of was 91 740 turbo.

This is for a warm weather build so I would imagine the cold start injector is not necessary but I find it unusual that the replacement fuel rail doesn't have a fuel supply port for it.

Has anyone else come across this? If so did you hook up the cold start injector some other way?
smoothdurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

I don't recall when the switch happened, but Volvo omitted the 5th injector at some point. Newer LH ECU didn't use the injector and used the 4 existing for cold start functioning.

I ended up running the new rail on old manifold for a while without the injector hooked up. No problems.

The schrader valve is for testing fuel pressure, and a nice feature over the older rails that didn't have that.

Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post

I ended up running the new rail on old manifold for a while without the injector hooked up. No problems.

The schrader valve is for testing fuel pressure, and a nice feature over the older rails that didn't have that.
Did you block off the port on the manifold for the cold start injector or did you just leave it attached without a fuel supply?

I figured that's what the schrader valve was for. perhaps a more permanent fuel pressure gauge may be attached there ;)
smoothdurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

I just left the injector in the hole, not hooked to anything, they're normally closed operation means there shouldn't be any form of leak from it.
Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

If you stay with the "old" ECU leave the cold start injector attached on both sides of 3. Attached to the inlet manifold and to the wiring. The ECU will trow a code otherwise.
You will need a longer support fuel hose too.
Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
Fa182
Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post
I don't recall when the switch happened, but Volvo omitted the 5th injector at some point. Newer LH ECU didn't use the injector and used the 4 existing for cold start functioning.
I believe the switch was 92+ and the retaining clips are different like you wrote as far as I know.

My 97 230FT uses a rail with just 4 injectors and a schrader valve. No cold start injector.