home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 03-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
Primergy
Board Member

Default 240 Roof insulation material options

I'm planning to pull down the headliner in my 240 to run some wires soon.
At the same time I'd like to insulate it a bite before putting back the liner.
What's proven & tested to keep inside temps moderate and maybe also work on cabin noise?
Old 03-12-2019, 03:15 AM   #2
TIPSP
Got Boost?

I used Dynamat superlite to kill panel vibrations in the 75. I only used where I needed it, so I can't tell you if it made the interior temp drop... (Most likely it did not make any difference in my case).
My car doesn't have tinted windows either, and that is where most of the heat gain comes from. Tint really helps.

Dynamat has an excellent adhesive back, so i would stick it any where. It's pricey, but works well.

Even if you cover the entire interior, The noise will still transmit through all the windows, seals, door seals... etc.
TIPSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPSP View Post
Even if you cover the entire interior, The noise will still transmit through all the windows, seals, door seals... etc.
And a lot of noise comes through the shifter hole if you have a manual.
GeneralBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
sksmith
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBurrito View Post
And a lot of noise comes through the shifter hole if you have a manual.
Probably need one of these.
http://www.vp-autoparts.com/us/main....&artno=1254484
Steve
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primergy View Post
What's proven & tested to keep inside temps moderate and maybe also work on cabin noise?
In my 83 wagon I used some 1/2" polyisocyanurate insulation glued up between the "ribs". I used flexible strips of thin plywood bent slightly to wedge the foam in place until the glue dried. On the wagon, that's a lot of hot metal just above your head when the sun is shining. Total cost about $20.00
buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Yes was thinking about insulation above headliner.. But how to remove the headliner? Started at the tailgate and tried to remove it but after the first foot or so i stopped.. Was doing something wrong.
I have some felt insulation for use in cars. Not that expensive and pretty light even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
In my 83 wagon I used some 1/2" polyisocyanurate insulation glued up between the "ribs". I used flexible strips of thin plywood bent slightly to wedge the foam in place until the glue dried. On the wagon, that's a lot of hot metal just above your head when the sun is shining. Total cost about $20.00
How rigid or flexible was that stuff?
Looks like about $10 for a 4 x 8 foot sheet from Home Depot.
Rmax R-Matte Plus-3 1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-3.2 Polyisocyanurate Rigid Foam Insulation Board

'84 242ti, owned since 2003. Always garaged since brand new. Old-school rounds because. B21FT, iPd Springs/Sways, SDS EFI/IGN, TD04HL-15G, T5Z trans with 0.73 OD retrofitted, 3.91 diff with G80.
Volvo seeks Divorce from Volvo Enthusiast Community: www.prancingmoose.com/#novolvo
Dave's Volvo Page: www.davebarton.com
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
buffalo

Default Rigidity

That's the stuff. Even though it has "rigid" in its name, it will flex enough to fit the gentle curve of the roof. Like corrugated cardboard. The thicker it is, the more rigid. I would stick to 1/2".
buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
Primergy
Board Member

That Polyisocyanurate is nice! Sure better than cheapo silver-backed bubble wrap with adhesive. Good insulation but will do only very little in terms of sound I imagine.

Also looked into 3M automotive insulation but it costs an arm & a leg!
Primergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

When I was in high school I help a friend of mine cover the floor of his tin can Karmann Ghia with leftover house carpet padding. Closed cell stuff that looks like it's compressed of lots of different colored pieces, about 1/2 inch thick. We glued it down with contact cement. The difference was phenomenal in noise reduction.
Dave B
Old 03-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #11
Primergy
Board Member

I can see that. It does have some weight / density to it.
If there is room, maybe I can add that and a layer of insulation.
Primergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #12
PCH
Board Member

TrafficMaster 3in1 insulation from Home Depot worked great for me. It's thin and pliable, you can glue many layers together using spray adhesive. I redid all floor insulating mats under carpet using 5 layers (to get the same thickness as original fiber mats). DynoMat is great for sound but heavy, while TrafficMaster is very light and effective for temp control.

Last edited by PCH; 03-22-2019 at 01:34 PM..
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #13
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
TrafficMaster 3in1 insulation from Home Depot worked great for me. It's thin and pliable, you can glue many layers together using spray adhesive. I redid all floor insulating mats under carpet using 5 layers (to get the same thickness as original fiber mats). DynoMat is great for sound but heavy, while TrafficMaster is very light and effective for temp control.

Tell us how great it was. Did it reduce any temps or sound at all?
Old 03-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #14
PCH
Board Member

For sound it worked better than stock floor insulation that's made from some kind of cardboard/pressed fibers stuff (on my 945). 5 layers added up to same thickness so the carpet fits nice over it. I also used couple of layers under all of the the wagon's plywood floor.
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:30 PM   #15
DD Ranch
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primergy View Post
Planning on insulating the roof of my 91 245 sometime too and was interested in seeing what others have done.

I've had what I consider great results on a TB budget using Frost King duct insulation. I got as far as the floors, butt cheeks and rear doors in my 85 245 before I sold it. To my ears it made a huge difference in the sound damping.

In my 91 245 I've gotten as far as the floor from the firewall back to under the rear seats, butt cheeks and inside the rear panels. Also under the hood. What's interesting there is that on the occasionally cool mornings here in Florida where the car is covered in condensation, the insulated hood area remains covered in condensation and you can see the pattern of the under hood bracing (not insulated) after driving for about fifteen minutes.

I really put it there more as a test and it turned out to really help the engine noise and heat insulation and has stayed put without any loss of adhesion.

So I am going to do inside the doors next and unless someone comes up with something else better here, one of these days the roof with the same stuff.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. There's quite some videos on the You Tube.

Frost King Duct Insulation

Last edited by DD Ranch; 03-26-2019 at 07:05 PM..
DD Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:28 AM   #16
oldnfast
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD Ranch View Post
Planning on insulating the roof of my 91 245 sometime too and was interested in seeing what others have done.

I've had what I consider great results on a TB budget using Frost King duct insulation. I got as far as the floors, butt cheeks and rear doors in my 85 245 before I sold it. To my ears it made a huge difference in the sound damping.

In my 91 245 I've gotten as far as the floor from the firewall back to under the rear seats, butt cheeks and inside the rear panels. Also under the hood. What's interesting there is that on the occasionally cool mornings here in Florida where the car is covered in condensation, the insulated hood area remains covered in condensation and you can see the pattern of the under hood bracing (not insulated) after driving for about fifteen minutes.

I really put it there more as a test and it turned out to really help the engine noise and heat insulation and has stayed put without any loss of adhesion.

So I am going to do inside the doors next and unless someone comes up with something else better here, one of these days the roof with the same stuff.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. There's quite some videos on the You Tube.

Frost King Duct Insulation
The frost king could be used under the hood? Did you have to use additional adhesive?
oldnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:03 PM   #17
DD Ranch
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnfast View Post
The frost king could be used under the hood? Did you have to use additional adhesive?
No additional adhesive. It's quite sticky as-is. I did clean under the hood before application and used a foam paint roller on it. It's been there about six months.
DD Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:05 PM   #18
fryea
Board Member

Check out what the camper van crowd is doing with Thinsulate. Lightweight, hydrophobic, r-6 insulation with sound damping qualities. Thinsulate was the material distributed by Sound Deadener Showdown for roof installations before they switched to Hydrophobic Melamine Foam (HMF). Available on Amazon for ~$2.75 sqft.

I'm planning on adding CLD tiles and Thinsulate to my 245 roof this summer. Looking forward to the results of your headliner rebuild as well.
fryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #19
jjona5
Board Member

I used the foil bubble wrap stuff in all the panels of my 240. Made a difference.
jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote