home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
M.H. Yount
Board Member
 
M.H. Yount's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Default 5-panel tail light to 6-panel tail light

A pretty easy project -- but perhaps something I learned will help someone else. Step one is removing the old units. Usually pretty easy -- although 30 year old gaskets/goop is always pretty. Be sure to take careful measurements. It almost always ends badly if you don't measure carefully - there are a number of interference points on the 6-panels compared to the 5-panel. Use lots of tape - if you slip it may save damage on good paint/rubber/bumper. I used a small cut-off wheel on a Dremel tool. Made short work of the sheet metal. Towels in the trunk to minimize debris in the carpet - and a shop vac handy with the brush attachment to clean up debris as you go. It's like surgery - things go better with cleanliness.





Here they are after the cut, filed edges, paint touched up.






Last - get ready to bolt them in. These replacement units came from IPD -- and I found that trimming the gaskets was helpful in terms of fitment. I trimmed around the bottom of two openings where the housing/bulbs stick through, and I also trimmed 1/8"-1/4" all the way around the outside of both gaskets. I then used a bit of Armor All to lube things up so they would slide and not bind when being compressed. All of this after carefully cleaning the openings before re-assembly.

Before with the tired - 30 year old 5-panels --



After --



One of the light bulbs in the new tails was broken upon arrival. I simply replaced it with one of the bulbs in the set I removed. Worked -- but, of course, set off the 'something's wrong with your lights idiot' idiot light. So I pulled the matching bulb out of the other original housing and put it in the same spot in the other new housing. Problem solved - as usual - replace bulbs in pairs to keep the light-safety gods at bay. I also opened up the factory plugs (on the end of the harness) and pulled each wire/clip out and squeezed the ends together so it would make fresh/tight contact when I plugged them in. A sharp dental pick makes this a piece of cake.

Light was good for a couple of new pics....



__________________
'82 242 6.2L; '17 Mazda3; '16 CrossTrek

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 01-01-2012 at 11:24 PM..
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.