• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1971 142S "I'll keep this one"

You should definitely keep it given that you'll have disposable income, come summer (per your earlier post). It's a nice car and you obviously have the skills to bring it back to reliable DD status.

In light of the latest bump and price drop on the for sale thread I urge you to rename this thread "Project Hamlet."
:)

Well, if nobody buys it at that price, its staying.
I love this car, I really do. Few things are as fun as ripping this car up the hill at WOT with the side pipe scaring people and giving me a ****-eating grin.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.......

I'm not kidding. At $2k, I'm selling it for $200 more than I bought it for.
****, I think the t5 setup alone all in cost me around a grand. :omg:

This whole being in college and borderline broke sucks. Story of TB I suppose.

Seems like you've been quick to jump from project to project, but I don't know you personally - maybe that's just how it appears on the internet. My advice would be to stick with this car if you truly do like it, keep working on improving it bit by bit, post up artsy shots of it majestically conquering mountain passes, basking in fall colors, etc... and then if someone happens to fall in love & has to have it, then let it go for a reasonable price whenever that happens.

If you don't get any joy out of it and won't be satisfied unless you get a 145 (or whatever else) - then do a bunch of work now to list the 142 aggressively, sell to the highest bidder, cut your losses and get on with life. It's rare to *not* lose money on an old car despite how many success stories you may have heard or seen on TV. If you lose $1k on the whole deal, well...that's the price of the experience you had with that car, and maybe worth it, if you look at things from that perspective.

Oh, and what I mean by doing "a bunch of work now to list it" - fix anything that's quick and easy to address. Tidy up loose ends that are obvious from photos. Detail the car as much as reasonably possible given your budget and/or resources. Get some proper photos of it showing all key areas clearly, and some beauty shots. Maybe you know a budding photographer that would have fun taking shots of it in exchange for lunch or a 12-pack of their favorite beverage? Once you have the glamour shots, list it elsewhere - not TB - and describe it with confidence but honesty. Make some short driving videos too. That's the approach that has worked for me selling cars in lots of instances.

My advice would be to stick with this car if you truly do like it, keep working on improving it bit by bit, post up artsy shots of it majestically conquering mountain passes, basking in fall colors, etc...

As someone with a lot of artsy pictures of a green 142, I can recommend this tactic. It keeps the interest up.

I can.
The market for anything old is dead. We're heading towards recession and even the cheap stuff isn't sellable.

Hang in there until the Summer (or is it permanent?) gig in the auto industry. Once you're not a broke student any longer and not surrounded by other broke students a lot of things will look differently. And you'll have resources to make this vehicle what you want it to be and to enjoy it.

End of geezer spiel.

So where is the car at this moment? (Just city /state, not trying to boost it or anything)

Sounds like maybe Michigan, or maybe West Virginia, or even Maryland.

It?s a cool ride, but sometimes you have to be ready for the next cool ride too. Do what ya gotta do man.

Alright ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, this project isn't dead anymore! YAYYYYYY The car is currently at a storage facility in Morgantown. I'm interning in Ann Arbor MI this summer at FCA (or Peugeot now?).

Long story short, my DD got rear-ended, I have back pain, and his insurance company is giving me a pretty good payout (still in negotiation, but the first offer was enough to make this happen).

What's wrong:
- Left frame rail rust (eventually getting fixed)
- butt cheek rust (eventually getting fixed)
- Brake booster leaking vacuum
- Rear calipers seized- getting rebuilds from HiPerf or someone else
- Needs newer/better pads all around
- The radiator needs to be recored
- Bigger electric fan (14" and 1400cfm versus 10" and 700cfm) with shroud as well as an actual thermostat and electric switch
- The fuel tank needs to be welded or replaced. This car never had the recall done on it so it leaks at the fitting.
- Replaced fuel lines need to be permanently affixed somewhere.
- Rear shocks need to be installed

Other plans:
- Custom/modified B20E intake manifold, exhaust header, and Speeduino EFI (because DCOE's are expensive).
- Rear sway bar
- Buying back my Virgos from JJones
- Matching tires
- Front speakers
- New alternator bracket

Last edited:
Good to see this come back to life.

See if a radiator shop will work with you on the radiator and the gas tank. It's a similar process in both cases, (clean, braze, paint). Otherwise, a new aluminum radiator on Ebay isn't too expensive.

I went to where the car is stored Sunday afternoon, hooked up the battery, checked the oil, and fired her up for the first time in about 5 months. It ran well, and I'm excited to start driving it again.

A little blue smoke at startup, but that cleaned up pretty quick. I think I sprayed some oil in the intake before I parked it, or its just a nearly 50 year old engine that sat.

Obligatory ditch the E-Fan, M-Fan best fan, restore to stock comment :)
Glad to hear it is back and getting attention.
Hope your back is feeling mo betta soon!

Obligatory ditch the E-Fan, M-Fan best fan, restore to stock comment :)
Glad to hear it is back and getting attention.
Hope your back is feeling mo betta soon!

I was thinking about going back to mechanical, but I really don't want to.
Plus, I need the TIG/fab practice for a shroud and all in it'll be another $75 extra and will cool far more than I'll ever need with a new core.

I went to where the car is stored Sunday afternoon, hooked up the battery, checked the oil, and fired her up for the first time in about 5 months. It ran well, and I'm excited to start driving it again.

A little blue smoke at startup, but that cleaned up pretty quick. I think I sprayed some oil in the intake before I parked it, or its just a nearly 50 year old engine that sat.

Hell my whiteblocks do this daily, nothing to worry about.

Back