• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '92 240 Wagon

leohtbaere

Hello all. I've been slowly working on a 1992 240 Wagon for the last year or so, and have been chronicling the process on my blog Boxy But Good. I invite you all to go and see what I have done already. I'll try and update this thread as I add to the site. In the meantime, here is the background of this project.
After a lifetime of admiring people with with mechanical ability, the so-called "car guys", I finally decided that maybe, just maybe, I could join their oil-stained ranks. I'm vaguely handy. I'm an adult. I have a house and a driveway and some tools. I could do this! All that was left was to buy a car. But which one?

Choosing a Project Car
Every car-guy (or gal) I've ever met has had a "thing" when it came to what sort of cars they liked to work on. Some liked muscle. Others preferred performance. Some just liked the look of certain types of cars. I didn't have a huge predilection in any of those directions. My initial thoughts went back to my own first car - a 1981 Chrysler LeBaron sedan - that I had bought when I was merely 17. It was a bloated, inefficient pile of carbureted garbage on wheels, but I loved it and thought it would be neat to have one like it again. However I seemed to be one of the only people who felt that way towards these cars it because I couldn't find one anywhere, at least not one that hadn't already been souped up and/or customized. Ditto for my other long-time car love, the Ford Galaxie 500.

Next I looked at some of the more interesting compact cars of the 60s and 70s. Think the Ford Falcon and Dodge Dart. They looked cool in a mid-century kind of way, all swept lines and chrome. I figured that since the technology was relative old and computer-less it might be easier to work with. Mind you, I had (and still have) no idea if this is actually true but it seemed a reasonable assumption at the time. In the end it didn't really matter as those sorts of cars turned out to be relatively rare yet popular enough to make them both hard to find and expensive.

What To Do?
I was starting to realize that I needed to find a car that wasn't too old, rare, or popular, or at least a good balance of those things. Then it hit me... a Volvo 240! It punched all my important buttons. It was aesthetically distinct, well engineered, relatively easy to find, and had a big community of enthusiasts to join. Much has been written about the legend of the Volvo 200 series of cars, so I won't bother to repeat it here. I was very aware of how well known the 200s (especially the 240s) were for dependability and functionality, and for a dork like me those two attributes are sheer poetry. I knew immediately that a Volvo 240 wagon had been the answer I was looking for all along. So on to Craigslist I went. Luck was on my finally on my side for at that exact moment there was a 1992 240 wagon for sale just a few miles away. I contacted the seller and, long story short, after some negotiation over the course of a week I managed to reach a deal for under $1000! I now had a busted old car in need of some love and was officially on my way to being an amateur mechanic.

The car was in what I'd call "rough but drivable condition". Many of the interior pieces, such as the e-brake cover, the door pockets, and so on had been damaged or just outright smashed at some time during the car's 26 year lifespan. Mechanically, save for a several of the door latches not working, the windshield wipers being a bit touchy, the AC broken, the alignment pulling sharply to the right, and a few other things everything seemed to be in relatively OK shape. There was certainly much work to be done, but that was why I bought the car, right?

So, it all starts here. I'll do my best to record the process and share the ups and downs of fixing and maybe some day even improving this car with the world. Wish me luck.

Here's what she looked like when I got her.

dJxV8jSl.jpg

gQY2GdWl.jpg

Externally not much has changed, but I've been slowly taking the engine apart, replacing what is broken, and generally cleaning it up. I hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
I had no idea that such a thing was even an option. I'm guessing they're rare.

My goal is to get the car into reasonably close-to-factory shape and the engine back into a reliable state. When I got it it sort of ran, but unreliably. I think the main culprit there was a bad engine temperature sensor which was messing up the fuel/air mixture calculations. That's been replaced, so once I get the air intake back on and the fuel system I can actually test my hypothesis.

What's the interior like? You have heated/remote mirror option? :omg:

It was a bit dingy and a good amount of the trim pieces were broken. One of the first things I did was give the inside a good vacuum and cleaning. I'm also slowly replacing the trim, but even them most of it is 20+ year old plastic and brittle as all hell even when NOS.

IXO4nWBl.jpg

oUKPS5ml.jpg

9BG1ezxl.jpg

It's noticeably better now, but a few of the door cards are in bad shape due to water damage caused by leaky window door seals. I hope to eventually find some replacements.

As I recall, I had to use some mild heat on the hard rubber line to get it on. Cut the hose long to give yourself some wiggle room.

I like the speakers in the rear doors.

Thanks! Too bad the front speakers are such a mess. I'll eventually have to sort that out.

I reinstalled the fuel rail and injectors yesterday, but I'm wondering if the fuel line is ok. There is a smaller line inside a larger rubber hose. The fitting goes in the inner line, and I don't remember the outer hose actually doing anything. Is my current setup correct?

acY8thSl.png

Since last posting in this thread I've gotten a number of small but important things done. I changed the oil, the oil and fuel filters, and the brake pads. I've also got the engine running very nicely. No stalls on start. Runs and drives fairly well. All in all, things are looking up.

I'd like to change out a somewhat stripped wheel stud but I'm wondering if it's worth it. The ABS ring behind the hub will make it hard to get the lugs in and out. Sounds like a pain, and I'm pretty sure that four lugs is acceptable. I might save that for when I get around to replacing the rusted out dust guards.

Incidentally, has anyone ever replaced a wheel lug stud on a car with ABS? I have a feeling the ABS reluctor ring is going to get in the way of doing that easily. My manual says it is press fit onto the hub and that it can be removed and reattached with a hydraulic press. I don't have a hydraulic press.

Incidentally, has anyone ever replaced a wheel lug stud on a car with ABS? I have a feeling the ABS reluctor ring is going to get in the way of doing that easily. My manual says it is press fit onto the hub and that it can be removed and reattached with a hydraulic press. I don't have a hydraulic press.

I had to change studs out on my rear axles.
You can hammer them out with a big hammer and a center punch.

Not sure about ABS ring, it does seem like it'd be in the way. I'll let someone else chime in on that one.

To install the stud, you line up the splines, add a lug stud install tool (or just a properly sized nut) and use an impact and a lug to force the stud into place.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/wheel-stud-installer-22800
22800.jpg

Back