• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My first brick... 1989 240 DL Wagon

So, with some run time, from a shifting stand point is the T5 swap worth while. My M47 seems to do everything wrong.

In short the answer is yes. At first it's very unusual because the gearing was SOOOO different that my M47. Mainly the fact that 1st is usable and you downshift to 2nd a bit more.

Another thing I am getting used to is the new noises I have. It overall is just a noisy trans. I don't think it helps that I went ceramic clutch and solid driveshaft.

I am also finding that my lack of low end power is very much noticeable with the T5, almost to the point that I want to put the timing back to 0 and see if it helps. Its a dog off the line.

But is it worthwhile? The answer is yes. The gears are long and the car pulls great in the top end. If I can get the power to come down a little in the RPM's it will be even better. I would like to drive one with a more normal clutch though and see what it feels like. I am seriously contemplating changing my clutch disk!

I'll answer for him... yes!

Haha... ^^ This man knows!

It's strange I hear everyone state the T5 is noisy. Mine is just as silent as my M46... No strange vibrations or loudness coming from the Tranny or the driveshaft. I also went two peice though. I wonder if it could be mount related as well??

The lights are looking really, really good.

Thank you, I am very happy with them. Still need to relay and get some brighter bulbs.

Quick update... I bought a thing. It's a good thing. It's a heavy thing. And when I get to utilize it, it will make my 240 faster! :google:

I have been super busy though building a new patio behind my house for my sons birthday this weekend. So work on the wagon has been slow. But the patio is AWESOME!

And I snagged a sweet little project off craigslist for $100, so this bad boy will need some attention soon too!

+T I will be picking up a disassembled 93 block and building it on a stand. I have the Dee works kit, so I want to do an upright 16vT in it. I think it would be a blast!

I have the same kit, but then I looked into what all is involved with upright mounting.......:roll: It certainly looks cool, but every bit of clearance you gain on the exhaust side, you lose on the intake side. Plus you have to modify the oil pump/pickup and we're already behind the 8ball supplying oil to a turbo and a 16v head full of hydraulic lifters.

Wheels are sweet though, just need adapters that look like paint cans and you'll be golden:lol:

This post brought me here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5459590&postcount=8836

But it was the photo of your storage unit that made me comment further: Is that a Karmann Ghia in there??? <3

I have a 54 oval and the 61 my grandfather bought brand new :-) No Karmann Ghia, though...

Sweet looking wagon, and sweet closet VW obsession. Hurry up with the 16vT, keen to do the same, but RHD.

FYI, there'll be a car running my stuff at GRM 2016 in Gainseville September 30-October 1, if you're keen to see one.

The very first car running this stuff was a 740 wagon in Pompano beach, just south of you. A few days later I drove all the way to the bottom, and then up to Tampa arriving at nearly 3am running on the system for the first proper drive. Good times, good memories :-)

I have the same kit, but then I looked into what all is involved with upright mounting.......:roll: It certainly looks cool, but every bit of clearance you gain on the exhaust side, you lose on the intake side. Plus you have to modify the oil pump/pickup and we're already behind the 8ball supplying oil to a turbo and a 16v head full of hydraulic lifters.

Wheels are sweet though, just need adapters that look like paint cans and you'll be golden:lol:

After swapping barrels with the ARE's it looks like the adapters won't be too big at all :cool:

And as for the upright... if your building on a stand, I don't think uprighting it would be too bad. I would rather have less intake room and more room for TURBO!!! :wtf: I think the motor mounts would be the hardest part. As for the oiling, from what I have read, it really isn't an issue in an upright mounted engine. People who have done it don't seem to have a lack of oil to the 16v head.

Makes them a 16x9.5 ET 16ish. I can get a little more offset by switching the face to the rear of the barrel. Shout make it around an ET 25-30 which will be perfect for an adapter!

This post brought me here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5459590&postcount=8836

But it was the photo of your storage unit that made me comment further: Is that a Karmann Ghia in there??? <3

Yeah, it is a 68 that has a 6" roof chop. I actually have sold it to a guy in Tampa and he is paying for the storage unit till he can come pick it up. It is pretty sweet though!

I have a 54 oval and the 61 my grandfather bought brand new :-) No Karmann Ghia, though...

I still own a 73 Super that is being built pretty custom, a 96 VR6 Turbo GTI, a 97 VW Cabrio, and a 64 Chevelle. Trying to sell a lot of stuff to fund the Volvo and 73 Super

Sweet looking wagon, and sweet closet VW obsession. Hurry up with the 16vT, keen to do the same, but RHD.

FYI, there'll be a car running my stuff at GRM 2016 in Gainseville September 30-October 1, if you're keen to see one.

That actually looks awesome. I will check that out, it is not a bad drive from here. I want to build the 16vT bad, but that will be a slow build on a stand!

The very first car running this stuff was a 740 wagon in Pompano beach, just south of you. A few days later I drove all the way to the bottom, and then up to Tampa arriving at nearly 3am running on the system for the first proper drive. Good times, good memories :-)

So where are you now? Not in Fl. anymore? That Free EMS looks interesting. What do you use to tune it? I am afraid I would break things haha

Now, back in NZ. Lived in Barcelona/Spain for 2.5 years in the mean time. That was just the tail end of a 3 month 13500 mile road trip from san diego while stopping by on my way back from the UK.

You can break things with any EMS. Tuner is crap currently, but it gets us by, just. If you do go to the event, look for KOSH Racing and talk to Rob, I'm sure he'd be happy to have a chat about it :-) He's running it on his 2 litre Miata turbo in Atlanta, too.

Back