• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 3" stainless over the axle exhaust

I have managed to squeeze a overaxle 2.5" exhaust between the gas tank, overload spring, safety triangle and butt cheek before. Ain't easy or quick. When it rusted out I just bought a stock starla kit... :oops:

I've done a few 3" exhausts and one 3.5". All over the axle. There is decently space for a 3". 3.5" needs careful positioning, a couple taps to the left front corner of spare wheel well and stiff mounts. And if the car is somewhat low like mine, a couple taps to the pipe over the end of trailing arm so that they won't meet in bigger bumps.

This is 3.5" with the old small muffler.
69.jpg

Had to look up what said triangle is. No wonder I didn't recognize it because there are no such things in Euro-cars.

they are there to shear the bolts off the gas tank so ot dropps awy in a rear end collision. the flat.part hits the the rear axel if hit har enugh in the rear

I heard it was to transfer force from a rear end to the suspension.

I didn't have any issue leaving it in with my 3" over axle.

The tabs on the 240 rear ate calipers get impacted by the triangles in a large rear impact. The rear of the car above has rear girling calipers which never had the tabs on them or triangles to hit them. The triangles are heavy, too.

Add the support between engine block and header. You will miss it otherwise ;-)
no contact in the rear with a really hot exhaust? I can't believe.
I can't believe the share of the bolts too. The triangles will reinforce the rear while involved in a rearendend. A fuel cell that got lost isn't saver as a a deformed fuel cell.
I hate them, heavy and only in "function" with ATE calippers.
Have only seen once at a car imported from the states. A volvo from a diplomate.
good luck, Kay

Interesting timing for a thread revival, doing an over the axle setup on my rally car now, 3''. I've always gone side exit or under axle aside from a SAM 3'' kit I had long ago.

Rally car is a little trickier because of a tank guard that will be in some of the real estate

The tabs on the 240 rear ate calipers get impacted by the triangles in a large rear impact. The rear of the car above has rear girling calipers which never had the tabs on them or triangles to hit them.

They come unto play in a hard frontal impact as well by transferring energy through the drive shaft.

The triangles are heavy, too.

About a pound each if you consider that heavy in a ~ 2800# car.

Back