• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'73 D Jet

GT142

Ok, can someone simply explain the proper process to set up the TPS on a 73' D jet ?
also, can I use TPS's from a 71'?

All of the B20/B30 D-Jet throttle switches are the same, although there are early and late styles. The electrical connector needs to be flipped over if using the late style switch. It will go in either way, so check that the numbers printed on the wires correspond to the numbers cast into the TPS.

To adjust the TPS, first make sure the throttle stop is properly adjusted. First loosen the TPS adjusting screws and the lock nut on the throttle stop adjusting screw. Back off the adjusting screw until the throttle plate is fully closed, then turn the stop screw in ? to 1/3 turn past contact with the arm on the throttle shaft and secure the lock nut.

Disconnect the coil so as not to burn the points and turn the key to the run position. Set the TPS in the middle of it's adjustment and snug one of the screws. Open the throttle until you hear a click, then let it close. You should hear a click when the throttle closes. If not, loosen the adjusting screw and turn the switch until you get a forward and back click with the least amount of movement of the throttle.

Once this is accomplished, the switch is adjusted but you still need to make sure it has 20 forward clicks with no glitches. Open the throttle slowly, counting each click without going backwards. If you don't get 20 clicks, or there are glitches, you need to remove the cover and carefully clean the PC board with a pencil eraser.

Thx Hiperf !
Ok, phone died the other night and I tried what has worked in the past.
With the key off I grounded one probe from the meter and stuck the other into the 9 terminal from the backside of the plug. I moved the TPS until the ohm's read zero then tightened the set screws.
Before all that I did the stop screw adjustment as directed in the manual.
Aren't 2 of the terminals the idle circuit?
The car seems to idle great now and when running it up it dosent hunt anymore.
I haven't counted the clicks yet but they are definitely clicking.
I suppose I'll have to try your method just to be sure?
Have you adjusted the throttle valve this way?

The idle circuit isn't of *tremendous* importance, but you should get it working. Using a multimeter should work, with the cover off the switch you should be able to see which two switch terminals lead to the contacts that are closing as the throttle closes.

All it does is switch the ECU from the 'normal' fuel maps over to the individually hand tuned 'idle map'. There's a little adjuster on the outside of the ECU box In the factory, they'd start the car up, get it warm, then slap a sniffer in the tailpipe and hand-adjust the idle AFR's. This individual hand-tuning (in lieu of O2 sensor feedback, which was years in the future still) got the cars clean enough to pass the US emissions tests of the day, which were done at idle only. Once you stepped on the pedal, the engine could (and probably did) got a lot dirtier, either running a little rich or lean, due to production tolerances/variances.

Go here:

http://volvo1800pictures.com/sweden/Volvo_1800_dokumentation_main_page_en.php

About 1/2 way down the page you will find a link which allows you to download a .pdf version of the genuine Volvo D jet trouble shooting manual. As I recall, this includes the procedures using a continuity tester to set up the throttle position switch.

I have departed from the land of D jet ownership; but, my recollection is that some of the early D jet versions had a throttle cut function which was deleted on later versions. The switches may or may not have changed during the production runs; but, the function in the controller changed during the production run.

Thx all for the links and feedback.
Keeping two D Jet cars running is definetly entertaining.
For now I've just set the throttle switch at zero ohm from terminal 9.
Seems to be idling fine.
I will try the click method on the next repair.
I did clean the contact strip with an eraser on the 73' seemed to help smooth things out.
Also, found the points were gapped too tight.. Resetting those helped a lot.
Pertonix needs to go into the 73.
Hey, photobucket seems to be non op for me.
What else do you use to get photos up on our forum?

Back