home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 10-15-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
243_Phantom
Joe

Default Zender wing...

Technically, this has to do with performance in the form of more rear downforce.

I recently acquired a very rare factory option for the 1979-1984 240 Sedan; a rear decklid spoiler made by Zender. It's the same as Dave Barton has in a picture on his page on his blue 242 DL. It has a little bit of oxidation, but is still very usable.

Although I very much like being unique, I also like to share.

I'm trying to find someone who can/will make new ones. I realize it's a long shot, but if somebody could make a mold from it, and then make some new ones (it's made of black rubber), that would be awesome and a performance part that hasn't been available in over 20 years would again be.

*Note to moderators* This seemed like the best place for this thread, but if it isn't, feel free to move it and sorry for the trouble.
243_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 AM   #2
Poik
Backwards Turbo

Maybe DVS in Australia? The guys that do the Group-A wings.

Also, why don't you post a picture of this spoiler?

Eric Olsson's 242 Turbo | 245 DL | 744 Turbo
Poik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
neptune
2.1L 2.3L 2.8L 2.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poik View Post
Also, why don't you post a picture of this spoiler?
Probably because I keep whoring out my picture of my test fit of mine:

And there are more than a few pictures of it on 245GT-Turbo's old black 242, plus a few other people who have them.

The Zender spoilers are a heavy foam over some sort of metal reinforcing for the bolt holes, just like the Foha rear wings on Saabs. I'm not even sure what would be required to duplicate them but it could be fun.

Edit:
And it fits 79-85 240's. The trunk lid change was for the 86 model year.

Last edited by neptune; 10-16-2007 at 01:06 AM..
neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
iThinkergoiMac
Board Member

The catch is that spoilers like that only have a performance benefit if you're doing something like 120+ mph... that's darn fast and not likely to be hit very often. Unless, of course, you're a big fan of breaking the law or you do a lot of real racing.

So me wonders about the usefulness of it...
Old 10-16-2007, 01:39 AM   #5
hokman
Board Member

I think this is too low to actually work, it might work on a higher rear deck but 240's is so low. But the look is good. One thing I don't like is the messiness at the lower corners. Are all like that?
hokman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:40 AM   #6
2fast242gt
Do you have a cobalt?

need alot more of a curve than that for any downforce. and i dont like how there made of foam if it was fiberglass and didnt drop down on the sides i would b all over one.
2fast242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:44 AM   #7
adrianpike
🔥

I think all of you would be quite surprised if you ever had the chance to play in a wind tunnel.

I'm looking to buy, PM me if you've got any of it: LS bits, 93 850 bumper, ford 8.8", T5 WC, T56, Mustang IRS

Adrian is omniscient, you will never escape his wrath. - 500dollar744ti

doug was here
adrianpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:54 AM   #8
Poik
Backwards Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianpike View Post
I think all of you would be quite surprised if you ever had the chance to play in a wind tunnel.
Adrian, obviously you aren't listening to 2fast242gt. It needs more curve. He knows what he's talking about for sure.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:51 AM   #9
Chrisco
WRC addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokman View Post
I think this is too low to actually work, it might work on a higher rear deck but 240's is so low. But the look is good. One thing I don't like is the messiness at the lower corners. Are all like that?
+1

And the steep angle of the rear window wouldn't help either. For an effective spoiler I'd have it far above the trunk or just before the rear window on the roof...Which would likely be hideous.

MODS: Bilstein HDs, Lesjöfors springs, sways, poly bushings, 2.5" exhaust, header, short throw shifter, Recaros, MS
and a V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
1981-1982 Euro style 242, with GLT trim, rules over all other 240's.
All other 240's quake in fear at the '81-'82 242GLT, they go weak at the knees & collapse due to an uncontrollable adulation that's near idolatry.
Chrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:09 AM   #10
adrianpike
🔥

here's a protip for you guys: canceling lift is desired just as much as creating downforce.
adrianpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:07 AM   #11
Chrisco
WRC addict

Here some info from the performance handbook once sold from IPD, basically explaining that the spoiler is pretty much just extra weight.

Chrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
Board Member

Quote:
here's a protip for you guys: canceling lift is desired just as much as creating downforce.

The man is correct. This spoiler will not produce gobs of downforce at the rear, as is so critical to all those high-winged FWD Civics I see, but it will likely produce a small reduction in lift. The effect of a spoiler like this is much smaller than a big wing, but it's something.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #13
don hodgdon
Alfaholic

Quote:
+1

According to my butt dyno and #2 Ticonderoga Soft Lead calculator, I realized a small increase in highway MPG after installing a deck-lid spoiler on the 740.
'85 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Sold
'98 Volvo V70XC Sold (Yea!)
'91 MB E300 Blowed Up
'96 965
don hodgdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #14
Dan
TQ>HP

From what I recall reading back in the 80's. The small deck lid spoilers like the one above do have some merit. This is the reason you see lots of cars with a high trunk lid (Like Volvo did with the 240 post 86), doesn't provide downforce, but does affect airflow off the rear of the car, makes the car more areodynamic. You'll see lots of new cars with a subtle upturn to the rear of the trunk lid to accomplish the same thing.
I have a spoiler similar to the one in the pic above, but without the downturned ends. it's got cracks in it. I'm hoping one of these days to reproduce it somehow. It was sold by Richard Grant back in the 80's and I bought it from IPD. I seem to recall picking up a few mph of topend with the spoiler installed, verifying the increased areo. Non-scientific results, but I was convinced
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #15
DurableSwedish
Hunting for a turbo

Why does ipd say the group-a spoiler "doesn't provide a significant aerodynamic advantage" if it didn't do anything, why did the racecars use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivealive View Post
Seems like the TB [performance mod] list is normally:
#1: Cut springs
#2: Junkyard +T
#3: Gut the interior
#4: ???
#5: Crush it
DurableSwedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #16
VolvoPunch
Board Member

Our Volvo's are so boxy i don't think having a wing on the trunk will even get much air flow over it to make down force. Just add some weights to the back end that should keep it planted.
VolvoPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #17
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurableSwedish View Post
Why does ipd say the group-a spoiler "doesn't provide a significant aerodynamic advantage" if it didn't do anything, why did the racecars use it?
At legal speeds, the Group-A wing does very little. On the track, the race cars can hit speeds where an effect will be realized.
11110000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #18
WheyDey
i fought the lawn

the vast majority of spoilers will do nothing but look pretty until about 70-80 mph.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #19
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheyDey View Post
the vast majority of spoilers will do nothing but look pretty until about 70-80 mph.
road and track or one of those mags did a test comparing a bunch of factory cars (mustangs, buicks and such) with and without the factory rear spoilers....about the only "real" thing the spoilers did was decrease gas mileage.

...my wife insisted I add a factory rear spoiler to our S70T5 so there it sits on the trunk, kinda grew on me and it's not half bad....

I'd hit up IPD, you might be able to convince them into making a short run of them????

or try a few of the fiberglass guy's on ebay, you might find someone willing to lay some up for you....
Old 10-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #20
Dan
TQ>HP

yes. pretty much all the spoilers you see on cars that sit up above the deck lid just add weight and drag. The small ones that attach directly to the trunk lid provide some benefit in reducing drag. I have a small rubber lip on my 740, weighs less than a lb. sticks up maybe an inch. It theroretically provides some benefit and I like the way it looks....
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #21
WheyDey
i fought the lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan242tic View Post
I like the way it looks....
dan hit it right square on the head. dont go trying to get some real performance numbers or CoE figures or anything like that. the benefits are nil and the bad parts are just as nil.

you want to kill a car? put a lightbar on the roof. with the federal vision on my vic im seeing barely 15mpg. i could drive a suburban.

buy a spoiler because it looks good.
WheyDey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:34 PM   #22
Poik
Backwards Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan242tic View Post
yes. pretty much all the spoilers you see on cars that sit up above the deck lid just add weight and drag. The small ones that attach directly to the trunk lid provide some benefit in reducing drag. I have a small rubber lip on my 740, weighs less than a lb. sticks up maybe an inch. It theroretically provides some benefit and I like the way it looks....
Really? Is the purpose of a rear spoiler to reduce drag?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #23
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

That's the same spoiler that's shown in neptune's post, mounted to the black '82 242 that I used to own.

Shown on my previous silver 242 - yes, the car that got totalled...

And, back when it was Coronado Gold Metallic, shown on my original '81 242...

-J

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46. Formerly Blue245Ti, 245GT-Turbo, and, originally 242GT-Ti.

Last edited by John242Ti; 02-26-2018 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: Fixed dead links.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:28 AM   #24
243_Phantom
Joe

aah damnit. Maybe I'll screw around with some fiberglass tomorrow and see if I can make some sort of mold. I still think the damn thread belongs in performance.
and right you are...79-85 sedans. I got 5 hours of sleep and worked 18 hours each day for the past 3 days.
The point is, I love this spoiler. My butt-skidpad (related to the butt-dyno, of course) says it made a difference. Cornering at very high speeds (keeping completely legal...:P) seemed improved a bit. Either that or my tires somehow upgraded themselves.

So nobody knows somebody that would make them?
243_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:53 AM   #25
baggins798
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheyDey View Post
True, but this one works even when you're parked! A gentle breeze is all it needs to work...
baggins798 is offline   Reply With Quote