• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gold/brown Bertone

2 old for this

There is a gold/brown Bertone on eBay that the seller says it?s 30 of 30. I never heard that they were numbered. I have a 1981 that I sold new and never noticed if it was numbered. Also any idea what was the last production date and vin?

That car has been for before. Notice it has NY plates but now the car is located in Mass?? The cars were not numbered. I have 2 just like the auction car, 81 two tone paint and a 79 silver/black. Depending on who you believe there were only 912 1981 coupes built starting with chassis number 8357- 9283. I don't know my number off hand. A fellow Tbricker, Testpoint, has a two tone one also. His car followed one of mine on the assembly line.

That ebay car has terrible paint and the front seats are not completely original. Has other issues too.

That car has been for before. Notice it has NY plates but now the car is located in Mass?? The cars were not numbered. I have 2 just like the auction car, 81 two tone paint and a 79 silver/black. Depending on who you believe there were only 912 1981 coupes built starting with chassis number 8357- 9283. I don't know my number off hand. A fellow Tbricker, Testpoint, has a two tone one also. His car followed one of mine on the assembly line.

Better look at your cars again, I've seen numbered plaques / plates on the slam panels of 262 Bertones in the JYs.

Not sure what the numbers on those plaques are for but they don't even correspond to the vin numbers. Also as to the auction car how can it be 30 of 30 when 912 were built in 1981?

'Slam Plate'? Are you referring to the upper radiator support? My number is 006539. I could make the assumption that referred to the chassis number which would put it out of the production numbers Nelson provided. Based on a number of things over the years I had come to the conclusion that my chassis was built before 1981 and was equipped and certified as a 1981 model year.

Nelson's Bertone and mine are one chassis number apart but mine has the full size spare tire butt cheeks, his has the flat Bertone design with a compact spare.

They must have been cleaning up the parts bins at the end of the production run.

Just an assumption based on the unsubstantiated '30 of 30' but that could mean that only 30 gold/bronze cars were built in 1981. I believe that was the only year that that paint combination was produced.

I am going to ask the seller what factual information he has on that statement.

AFAIK the only color combos available for the 81 model year was black with black interior, black with tan interior, and the two tone models. I don't think the ice blue color was available for 81 but I could be wrong. That would leave 304 of each color made. I need to do more research.

I was going to run out to the shop and check the vin but the wind is going over 45 mph and I can’t get the door open. Tomorrow’s going to be calm.

^ Exactly. Not sure what that number represents. Anyone know for sure???? I think all 200 series have them.

The number on the latch plate is the production line body number. Nothing to do with the VIN. I'm pretty sure it tells you that in one of the greenbooks.

Production date on ours is 01/81 last of the vin is 8839. It also has the tag on left door saying Volvo made it. Our 78 doesn?t have the tag but has more decals for tire pressure.

Back