• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Higher wattage head lights

vivalavolvo

I nabbed a couple pairs of Hella H83155222 bulbs on sale on amazon. They run 80 watts low, 100 high. I know wiring in these cars tend to be beefier then most and I think it should be OK, but wondering what you all think. And if they are ******* civic with HIDs bright l won't use them.

Thanks!

'92 745

EDIT: I'm just trying to keep up with these insane modern headlights that wash out my night vision when they hit me in the face, especially on the dark windy roads I frequent.

Last edited:
Stock wiring may be okay, but it's not ideal.

The bigger problem you're going to run into is that the stock headlight housings in your 92 are US DOT garbage. Back in the day, the DOT actually required that headlights throw a certain amount of light upwards so that they illuminate reflective signs. That means with 80w on low, you're going to annoy oncoming drivers.

Even with a 55w bulb you can get much better lighting performance by changing how you focus the light. This is done by changing out your headlight housings for those speced on European 740s.

Below is an example of the beam pattern a European-spec car. As you can see, there is a very sharp cut off meaning light is not directed above that line (and into oncoming drivers' eyes.) The angle at the right allows for light higher up off to the side of the road. This allows you to run brighter lights and not annoy oncoming drivers.

Hella_H4_Low_Beam_(640x320).jpg

Happy to give you more info on this topic if you need it. I've converted my car from the US 9004 housings (like yours) to e-code with fog housings. I'm running 80/100w plus a 130w driving light and a 100w yellow-tinted fog light. This requires an upgraded wiring harness.

8333411899_ef64763880_z.jpg

5597207223_486c3d7cf6_z.jpg

9486529179_b992ee27c3_z.jpg

5597213931_7df0216fe1_z.jpg

5597208811_9724a7c734_z.jpg

5599359882_5b130efab2_z.jpg

5599360118_123d07df79_z.jpg

OP might also take a look at danielsternlighting.com for ideas.:)
I really like ryank's answer to a nasty problem. None of this stuff comes cheap and good in the same box, as we all know..

Awesome setup. I would love a set of ecodes but I haven't had much luck finding a set. I figured there would be some extra light leakage upward, but not sure how much.

You have a lot of light up there, and it looks great.

Has DOT changed the law on 55watt lighting? You're gonna be blinding the hell out of oncoming drivers.........

Has DOT changed the law on running non-DOT lamps?

Nope and nope. Just like their vehicle importation laws, the DOT is way behind... Should have noted, while upgrading to e-code housings will give you a much nicer, and safer beam pattern, it's not "legal." (nor are higher wattage bulbs.)

Not that this helps our older cars, but DOT luckily has revised their regulations regarding beam pattern, and whudya know, adopted something very similar to what Europe has used for decades... same pattern, basically just doesn't continue up to the right after it angles.

beampattern.jpg

In 20 years of running NON DOT-approved (e-code) housings in various cars, I have not once been so much as questioned about them. Don't put stupid blue bulbs in there, make sure they are aimed properly, and no one but you will know.

Nope and nope. Just like their vehicle importation laws, the DOT is way behind... Should have noted, while upgrading to e-code housings will give you a much nicer, and safer beam pattern, it's not "legal." (nor are higher wattage bulbs.)

Not that this helps our older cars, but DOT luckily has revised their regulations regarding beam pattern, and whudya know, adopted something very similar to what Europe has used for decades... same pattern, basically just doesn't continue up to the right after it angles.

beampattern.jpg

In 20 years of running NON DOT-approved (e-code) housings in various cars, I have not once been so much as questioned about them. Don't put stupid blue bulbs in there, make sure they are aimed properly, and no one but you will know.

:nod:
Keep it simple, and there's no reason for anyone to look twice.
Alternatively, word on the street is people have retrofitted HID projectors into ECodes without getting into any trouble with the po-po. But, for the money, the uprated halogens are going to be perfect anyways.

As mentioned, get some e-codes first, throw some decent 55w bulbs in them, and grab one of these harnesses for $38.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-34263

Did that setup in mine, plus I grabbed a 9004 pigtail from ebay so it plugs into the stock harness. Best lighting setup I've run, purely awesome light output, no clue it's upgraded for oncoming traffic but the light on the ground is great.

...Happy to give you more info on this topic if you need it. I've converted my car from the US 9004 housings (like yours) to e-code with fog housings. I'm running 80/100w plus a 130w driving light and a 100w yellow-tinted fog light. This requires an upgraded wiring harness....

After-bump. I was thinking about this... How did you get the wiring from the relays into the lamp housing? Is the connector-thing on the plastic lamp housing a wire-gauge bottleneck, or did you replace it with something different?

I've decided I want 130W driving lamps, hahahaha.

After-bump. I was thinking about this... How did you get the wiring from the relays into the lamp housing? Is the connector-thing on the plastic lamp housing a wire-gauge bottleneck, or did you replace it with something different?

I've decided I want 130W driving lamps, hahahaha.

You can just replace the wires internally with thicker gauge wire and keep the connector.

Hey,

Update with the lights. I have had them in for a few days now. Side by side they don't look to much brighter, but they are a way nicer color temp, nice white, not blue or anything like that. On the road things to light up much nicer, the beam seems to be the same. No one has flashed me so far. The high beams tho, they turn the dark roads into day light.

So far so good. I run them all the time (DRL) and I don't see any issues with the extra load on the system, wires, relays and fuses don't get warm or anything.

E-Codes are on the wish list, I have a few things that take priority.

Probably won't be that much brighter as the voltage will be a bit lower at the bulbs. Check the voltage when you get a chance, I'd bet it's a good 1-1.5v lower than battery at least with that kind of load. My 55's were dropping about 1.2v. The relay kit made a HUGE difference with the same bulbs.

Also keep an eye on the plastic reflectors and lenses for melting. Those bulbs put out a lot of heat.

Back