• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Public Survey: M46/M47 conditions?

240deluxe

I wanted to make this thread to get the public's experience on the mileage of your M46/M47, type of gear oil you use, any negatives (or positives) of your transmission, and last but not least, do you enjoy driving it? I ask this because I've driven countless Getrag/ZF transmissions, mainly in BMW's (E30 and E36) and never had any problems with them. On the other hand, I've driven a couple M46 and M47 and was not impressed with them, and currently have issues with mine.

I have a 1989 240 DL (M47) with 170,000 miles on chassis, engine, and transmission. I used ATF Type F fluid (as recommended per user manuals) but I am thinking about Redline MTL soon.

My M47 is very clunky and not swift when it comes to gear shifts, every M46/M47 I've driven is like this. Not sure if this is due to worn synchros (bought the car at 159,000 - still had this issue), improper gear oil or neglected gear oil maintenance, or just the nature of the transmission. In a BMW, Miata, even Porsche 944, selector rod will go into any gear nicely and positively. On M46/M47 its always clunky.

Downshifting in my M47 is even clunkier and will even grind sometimes. For this reason, I utilize double clutching when downshifting (and sometimes upshifting). Basically, clutch in, neutral, rev match to next gear's rotational speed, clutch in, next gear). This will give you smooth and precise engagement of any gear as long as your rev match is within 50RPM of gear speed.

I also found that double clutch downshifting, despite being a longer process "on paper", is actually quicker in the real world than normal rev-matching. Normal rev-matching is clutch in, rev match, then lower gear. However, my selector rod has a "brick wall" blocking it to get into the lower gear for half a second to one second, probably because of synchro resistance. With rev-matching, the selector rod will enter any gear swiftly. So, due to this, double clutching is actually faster than rev-matching.

Double clutching on upshifting, however, is slower than double clutching on downshifting. The 240/740 generally have heavy flywheels, so when you press the clutch in, the revs will drop pretty slowly, too slowly to execute a quick upshift double clutch. You press the clutch in, neutral, then clutch in and engage next gear when you reach the next gear's speed. Waiting for the RPM to drop to the next gear's speed can take a second or two, while simply shifting conventionally will take a second max, but will still be clunky. Exotic cars have the opposite problem, the flywheel is so light that as soon as you press the clutch in, the revs drop so low that they are already lower than the next gear's rotational speed.

I hope to get feedback from you guys, I want to know if I'm the only one that doesn't enjoy the clunky and non-"sporty" characteristics of the M46/M47 transmissions.

Opinion? You dont need to downshift when driving on the street, I just coast to a stop in neutral unless its an emergency stop slow down.
I dont have problems with the two. Good for daily driving but these cars weren't performance cars to begin with.

98t5?
Go away instead of needless pontification.
So you like better transmission better. Goo for you.
Are you asking because you expect many to disagree?

I want to know if I'm the only one that doesn't enjoy the clunky and non-"sporty" characteristics of the M46/M47 transmissions.
No, you are not the only one, now go away.

Don't understand all of the negative response, Turbobricks sure has changed over the years. Just wanted to see people's experience with the M46/M47 and how they like it. If you don't like the thread or don't have anything to contribute, you aren't forced to post in it, lol.

Opinion? You dont need to downshift when driving on the street, I just coast to a stop in neutral unless its an emergency stop slow down.

I always like to be in a gear in case I need to accelerate again for whatever reason (light ahead of me turns yellow and I need to speed up, etc.).

387,472 mi. M46. Amsoil ATF. Never has been a performance transmission, most likely never will be. And I do downshift going in to a corner to a lower gear sometimes, contrary to the driving habits of some others here.

387,472 mi. M46. Amsoil ATF. Never has been a performance transmission, most likely never will be. And I do downshift going in to a corner to a lower gear sometimes, contrary to the driving habits of some others here.

I've found that the M46 has been more bulletproof than M47. Read a lot of threads of people needing to replace M47's due to worn bearings and what not, the most common issue I've seen with M46 is issues with the O/D system.

Don't forget about the M47 overfill trick when it comes to prolonging the life of the 5-speeed. Jack the car up from the fill side of the tranny, block it, and put, IIRC about another 8 oz. in there. Apparently helps quite a bit.

My M47 has been overfilled with "Coastal" brand type F since I installed it, have autocrossed it and beat on it daily, still holding up to about 12psi of boost. When I had turned up to 15psi, it was starting to whine a little but went away after I reduced the boost.

I'm not sure that my m47 is unreliable, but it's very clunky too. Nonetheless it's by far more enjoyable than driving an automatic. I haven't driven my sedan with the +t on the m47 yet, but it should hold as long as I don't abuse it.

M46, shifting too fast will crunch 3rd gear and sometimes 4th, doesn't want to go into 1st unless under like 5mph.

Mileage unknown

Its not a performance trans but it beats the auto any day.

the ratios and shifter throw are awful in the m46, but mine had 260K and survived super fast gear banging, and power shifts, I used bulk aft I used in the shop, and sae 40 in the Laycock, changing that stuff and cleaning the screen changed it from a non worker to a super smooth unit. The car was a 745t and probably had around 200whp.

Back