• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Which BMW's and what years had the best getrag manual trans. for swaps into my 245

Close ratio 'dog-leg' box is the 265/5, overdrive box is the 265/6.

In the UK both boxes are most commonly found in the e28 5 series and e24 6 series, but I'm not sure if US cars had the option of the 'dog-leg'?

In cars built after September '85 the 'overdrive' 265/6 was replaced by the integral bellhousing 260.

If in the US, look for the 81-85 5,6,7 series cars. The getrag you want has a removable bell housing and 3 distinct pieces to the body of the transmission. If you do not see the 4 nuts that attach at the bell housing, it probably will not work. Dog leg and special getrags are very rare in the US. If you have to have one of the special getrags, you most likely need to contact a BMW dismantler.

large.jpg

Cheers

PJ

I have a dog leg in my car... my non Volvo. It is awesome... I laugh every time I let someone else drive it and they try to put it into reverse at a stop light :)

James

fast242 has given you all the information you need:
The getrag you want has a removable bell housing and 3 distinct pieces to the body of the transmission. If you do not see the 4 nuts that attach at the bell housing, it probably will not work.
The 265 uses the same main case as the 4 speed 262 and thus is marked '262' just to confuse matters.

As far as a dog leg getrag in the US, look for a 633CSI two door bimmer. I think the 79 has the dog leg but could be other years to for the 633. The getrag I'm running I got out of a 86 733 bimmer. All the 5 series bimmers with getrags I've seen do not have the removable bellhousing.

I found an e28 M5 in the yard and It had a trans you could have used, I think I might actually grab it. For starters I have a 530i and I had my face against that transmission for a couple hours and it does not have a removable bell housing, So scratch that idea.

There's a 7 series for sale here for cheap ($600) that has the manual. The car drives right now so if anyone is interested in the trans PM me. I am interested in parting it out.

I found an e28 M5 in the yard and It had a trans you could have used, I think I might actually grab it. For starters I have a 530i and I had my face against that transmission for a couple hours and it does not have a removable bell housing, So scratch that idea.

holy ****, was the motor there? that's an s38 if it's a real m5. DO WANT.

BMW made a 3 litre V8 for use in 5 series cars?

yes, i sadly had to blow one up for that dumb cash/clunkers program.

oh and while i'm here, by dogleg you all mean the one with 1st down low and 5-speed with 5th being 1:1? what's the other, 4-speed no o/d? did any of them have o/d gear with removable bellhousing?

My 6 series has the trans in question. it is a 633csi but it was a grey market german car. Just a data point.

How much is the trans worth, i plan on swapping the motor/trans in the future.

^^^ the dogleg 5-spd? with 5th being 1:1 and 1st gear is down below reverse? that box can go for $1000-$1500. pretty sure that was europe only, you probably have the 4-spd getrag 262 no?

here's a good info ID source for these transmissions..
http://www.metricmechanic.com/catalog/getrag-identification-chart.php

Its a 5 speed and im pretty sure its a dog leg but im not 100% sure, engine was rebuilt because "it was old" by the previous owner and then he could not get it to start(im guessing just a wiring issue). He also said that it has some special close ratio trans.

Its a 79 euro 633csi so i think it has the one everyone wants. Everything in the interior is German, kinda cool!

BMW made a 3 litre V8 for use in 5 series cars?
yep, the last few years of the e34 530i , it can be distinguished from the earlier il6 cars by the use of wider kidney grilles.
There was also a e34 540i-V8 which was a lot less frantic but alsmost as fast as the M5 S38 il6.

holy ****, was the motor there? that's an s38 if it's a real m5. DO WANT.

Yes... But someone stole the intake! ITBs... The S38 was still there, my guess would be that the motor was maybe blown??. If It was the summer I would have grabbed it. This was the same day I found a complete stainless steel performance exhaust for my 530 and the yard only changed me 40$ haha and it was already disconnected. It was really sad to see this car there. But basically all of the things that make it an M5 have been taken. I would love a 240 with an S38 in it. Alpha-N MS it!

/off topic.

Back