• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M90 spigot shaft bearing

?Honestly I was not sure about this, but checked up and they do use a guide metal bushing - not a bearing - pn. 1397077. As its only a metal bushing, I do think its there just to be safe. If accidentally some clutchdisk unbalance or something happens, it won't let the input shaft to be banging around freely. In normal situations I don't think they ever contact.?

When I did my M90 swap in 2005, i bought the solid pn 1397077. Did a bunch of measurements and I concluded does nothing regarding supporting the input shaft during running.

My best guess is that this solid steel insert for the rear of the crank is only used as a centering fixture for the clutch alignment tool which is what I used it for. IMHO, it has no practical use in running, but always happy to be corrected. I need to drop my M90 shortly to replace a defective Elring RMS with a genuine one, so I?ll check clearances again ( its done about 80k km using a dog dish and a EU late Diesel 940 kit.)

My best guess is that this solid steel insert for the rear of the crank is only used as a centering fixture for the clutch alignment tool which is what I used it for. IMHO, it has no practical use in running, but always happy to be corrected.

Well, that makes sense as without a bearing there is a pretty big bore at the end of crankshaft. All we need to know is the axial distances - does the input shaft even get any close to that bushing.
I'll definitely measure it...

You can stand an m90 up on it's bellhousing side and the input shaft won't hit the floor. Unlike a m46 where the input shaft is longer and sticks out of the bellhousing end. Also if you got one or look at the retro turbo m90 pilot bearing, it sits out of the crankshaft and even the flywheel. Somewhere this stuff was measured and posted, can't remember. I have the retro turbo pilot bearing and can measure it if you want, let me know.

janwillem? have you checked that oil already? experiemce?

can anyone confirm that bearing is killing the rasseling noises?

“I need to drop my M90 shortly to replace a defective Elring RMS with a genuine one, so I’ll check clearances again ( its done about 80k km using a dog dish and a EU late Diesel 940 kit.)

Any idea which release bearing you applied? Here also dogdish with diesel clutchplate 20T for M90 and pressure plate matching the dogdish from B230FT early nineties.

Good to hear the Good result during 80kKm

The Retro Turbo pilot bearing is not plug and play for ALL M90s...some M90s need the end of the input shaft turned down to fit the pilot. It's not a lot, like 0.020" or something, but it will not fit otherwise. We did it with emery cloth and cranking the output shaft. It sucked, but it worked.

The Retro Turbo pilot bearing is not plug and play for ALL M90s...some M90s need the end of the input shaft turned down to fit the pilot. It's not a lot, like 0.020" or something, but it will not fit otherwise. We did it with emery cloth and cranking the output shaft. It sucked, but it worked.

0.002". I don't even want to think about how long .020" would have taken...

Very interesting topic.

I am running a TTV flywheel with classic swede 4 pucks unsprung disc. It is VERY noisy at idle and on overrun.
At idle, you can hear the disc rattling around. If i press the clutch pedal, rattle goes away.
On the overrun, big noise comming from the gearbox, that seems to magically go away when rpm drop under 2000.

So this double topic about the shaft support AND oil to choose for less noise is very relevant.

Any news guys?

Very interesting topic.

I am running a TTV flywheel with classic swede 4 pucks unsprung disc. It is VERY noisy at idle and on overrun.
At idle, you can hear the disc rattling around. If i press the clutch pedal, rattle goes away.
On the overrun, big noise comming from the gearbox, that seems to magically go away when rpm drop under 2000.
Noise at idle is normal with every gearbox and unsprung disc. No matter if it has a spigot shaft bearing from factory or not. I've also had rattle with every gearbox if you try driving under 2000-2200rpm(whiteblock and redblock). There might be noise on the overrun but nothing noteworthy.

Im running the stock M90 122 kw diesel clutch kit with a dogdish 2.4 in my B230FT.
It is pretty quiet at idle, no crazy rattle and using whatever oil Volvo recommended about 10 years ago. Was going to order new Volvo oil, but local dealer could not figure out the latest spec supersession for manual gearbox oil as the original Volvo M90 stuff is NLA.....just bought some Redline MTL until someone at Volvo figures it out.
As my other daily driver is a TD5 Defender 110, quiet at idle is however a relative distinction.

Patrick

Was going to order new Volvo oil, but local dealer could not figure out the latest spec supersession for manual gearbox oil as the original Volvo M90 stuff is NLA.....just bought some Redline MTL until someone at Volvo figures it out
Patrick

Why not use the trans fluid used for all later versions of the manual transaxles?

31280772 is the 4L pn, cheapest way to buy it.

Noise at idle is normal with every gearbox and unsprung disc. No matter if it has a spigot shaft bearing from factory or not. I've also had rattle with every gearbox if you try driving under 2000-2200rpm(whiteblock and redblock). There might be noise on the overrun but nothing noteworthy.

The disk is sprung so that is not the cause of the rattle

My M90L2 is quiet at idle and through the gears. I am using the Sachs 032 fiber disk with a 763 pressure plate and no pilot bearing support. As for oil, standard synthetic API GL-4 75w.

Why not use the trans fluid used for all later versions of the manual transaxles?

31280772 is the 4L pn, cheapest way to buy it.

Nice..... i see FCP sells it for $46. That is less than what I paid for 3 x Redline MTL liters.
Patrick

Back