• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Canadian 1984 244 DL B21A/B6304 project log.

It's ok, the local yards are FULL of turbo V/S 40s, and the whiteblock turbo 4-cyl (B4204T) engines all use 83mm bore/90mm stroke pistons/rods. Right now there are 6 cars in a yard 20km from my house...so there's no problem finding pistons :).

Interesting. I had thought about this, but i figure the higher compression will help spool up.

I don't think I mentioned this yet, but if you email Maxspeedingrods, they will direct sell you a set of 6 for a reasonable price, they ship directly out of their Hong Kong warehouse for custom quantities.

I've run high compression engines with boost before, and I may still on this, but I've never built an engine before so I figure maybe now it's time to learn that. It's more about the challenge than it is boost safety, since I am not worried about blowing anything up.

The one thing I did learn from this spare block is that drilling out the oil return boss with the engine in the car is a very bad idea. The boss is right on the edge of cylinder 5, and if I make sure the rod is positioned away from the wall being drilled...I risk damaging the counterweight. If I position everything in the 'center' of it's cycle, then there's a definite risk of getting aluminum shavings on the rod bearing. Considering there is a tilt to the engine, it's unlikely any shavings will fall on the rod bearing...but trying to do things the easy way could end up forcing me to do things the expensive way, lol.

Interesting. I had thought about this, but i figure the higher compression will help spool up.

I don't think I mentioned this yet, but if you email Maxspeedingrods, they will direct sell you a set of 6 for a reasonable price, they ship directly out of their Hong Kong warehouse for custom quantities.

I am not ruling this out, but my goals are quite low, so I don't think I'll need to upgrade the rods. I'd like to see 300whp, which is possible the 5cyl cars and will be far less 'stress' to make with the 6. I'll email them and see what the price would be though ;).

I am not ruling this out, but my goals are quite low, so I don't think I'll need to upgrade the rods. I'd like to see 300whp, which is possible the 5cyl cars and will be far less 'stress' to make with the 6. I'll email them and see what the price would be though ;).

I think that they quoted me $420 a while ago for a 6 rods set...

It's almost time to get the car out and start the summer mods. I really like working with the garage door open, so I haven't touched the car very often this winter. Most of the time is spent accumulating modifications to do when it's warm out. I just recently finished my Speeduino ecu, although this one is my 'test' box, mainly to plot out how I intend to make the really good one later, lol.

N4HFPEG1_o.jpg

I prefer AMPseal connectors over non-automotive stuff, so I designed a little breakout board for a 90* AMPseal header. Then I 3D printed an endplate on the new machine at work (the benefits of being one of the people the engineers trust to use their gear ;) ), and voila...a megasquirt replacement.

I have nothing against my MS2, and in fact, it works great...but I like changing things up and trying something different every now and then.

So, today I ended up in the hospital at 5am getting the defibrillator treatment (third time in 15 years, hereditary atrial fibrillation). Let me tell you, it's easy to tell when your heart isn't doing it's thing properly, because you feel like absolute ****. The 'upside' is that I got a free day off work...on a day Amazon, DHL, and FedEx are all delivering :). I got some more Speeduino PCBs (open source is AWESOME), a set of Boge Turbogas struts, and put in my order with 15A for some strut mount plates :).

I want a hoist...ain't going to happen due to lack of funds. I am not a handy person with home reno stuff, and I would definitely need concrete work at the same time. I thought about Quickjacks, but $1500 CDN before taxes is silly (and again...lack of funds). So I decided to make some on my own. So far, I'm only into this for $120 CDN worth of metal (I pick from the local metal place's scrap room). The cylinders and hydraulic control is going to be the most expensive bit, but I'm sure I'll find some used stuff somewhere.

c4030xMQ_o.jpg

I want a hoist...ain't going to happen due to lack of funds. I am not a handy person with home reno stuff, and I would definitely need concrete work at the same time. I thought about Quickjacks, but $1500 CDN before taxes is silly (and again...lack of funds). So I decided to make some on my own. So far, I'm only into this for $120 CDN worth of metal (I pick from the local metal place's scrap room). The cylinders and hydraulic control is going to be the most expensive bit, but I'm sure I'll find some used stuff somewhere.

c4030xMQ_o.jpg

Be ultra cautious with that project. You don't want to end up squashed under your car! Figure out some kind of failsafe featureto block the thing from going down in case of hydraulic failure.

Definitely. I'm not quite done yet, because I can't measure for the safety locks before I get the cylinders installed. Once I get the 'throw' set up, there will be safety locks installed that prevent it from falling if the hydros fail. I'm basically copying the Quickjack design, and they have a nice failsafe. Jackstands will also be used if I plan on being under the car for long.

Interesting stuff you have going here. I am curious about the speeduino as well. If you could make a breakout board so this could be fitted into a M4.4 ecu case and plugged right into the car, that'd be neat.

I'd love to try, but I don't have an M4.4 ecu to base the breakout on :(. If I at least had a spare ecu-side connector, I could make a patch harness to go from the speeduino to the M4.4 loom. It wouldn't be difficult, but it would be limited to batch-fire fueling. Speeduino doesn't have enough spare outputs/timers to do sequential injection on anything more than a 4 cyl.

I still plan to convert, but for the moment, I still haven't gotten the car out :(. It's been HORRIBLE weather here, and I've been pre-occupied with finishing my quickjack clone. Should be nice this weekend though!

Back