• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tire recomendation

c

What brand tires do you guys use? I want 215/50/16s for my hydras but will probably end up getting 205/55/16s since they are easier to find and a lot cheaper. Where is the best (read cheapest) place to get good tires?

I'm using Bridgestone Potenza S03 tires for my summer wheels. The winter set is Michelin Pilot Alpin something. Both tires are some of the best tires I've used. Great in all conditions.

Dave 82 242ti

225/50/16 Dunlop FM901

I'm sorry, but the S03 is just way too expensive for me.

its seriously grippy, but u can get almost the same traction for 1/2price w/Dunlop.

I dunno how come FM901 havn't sold like crazy like it did in Japan.

I bought my Potenza S-03 tires from the Tirerack. They were only $105
each. That is very affordable for a top of the line tire. Of course it helped
that I was buying 205/55-15. I've also used Dunlop tires. I had Sport
D40 M2 tires. They were a great sticky tire. Then I replaced them with
Sport SP8000 tires. They seemed really good at first but after a year of
driving I really didn't like them. That's why I bought the Bridgestones.
The SP8000 was sold to me as something as good as the D40 M2 but
they weren't anywhere near as good. The 8000 was much harder compound and are horrible in the rain. I try to buy street performance
summer tires with a treadwear rating of 220 or less. I went back to
Bridgestones because of in the past I used their Potenza RE71. Now
that was a great affordable performance tire. Maybe the Potenza RE950
is more like what you need? Also Dunlop makes the Sport SP A2 which
is what replaced the old D60 A2. I've used all three and like them.

Dave 82 242ti

I had 14" Pirelli 4000's on my GT rims (on my GT) and they seemed to work pretty nicely even in the rain. I am looking also for new tires for my Hydras that I still have to go down the street and buy (haha)... Yokohamas are usually pretty decent except for the rice heritage.

MadChigga,

Do you have any rubbing problems w/ 225's?

I'm running Yokohama AVS ES-100 right now on my wagon, 205/55/16. I bought them from Tirerack and they were under $90 each. They showed up in a matter of days and I have been really satisfied with them. They stick like glue and are really quiet on the road. I haven't pushed them super hard in the rain yet, but from the little bit that I have they wouldn't give at all. Great tire for the money, plus I got a free radio control car with the purchase (which might have helped persuade me).

I have been curious about the new Eagle F1, anyone try those?

Erik

Yokohama AVS Intermediates... if you can still find them around, they're the best tires I've ever had.

yo_avsi.jpg

They stick like glue, are cheap as hell, and look great. Don't expect too much mileage, with a 160 treadwear rating you can almost hear the rubber getting ripped off the tires.

I got mine for $46/piece at the Tire Rack.

TheMadChigga said:
225/50/16 Dunlop FM901

I'm sorry, but the S03 is just way too expensive for me.

its seriously grippy, but u can get almost the same traction for 1/2price w/Dunlop.

I dunno how come FM901 havn't sold like crazy like it did in Japan.

Have you tested the S-03 vs. your FM901? I seriously doubt the 901s perform on the level of the S-03s. If you have the money to spend, spend it wisely on one of the most important parts connected to your vehicle. I have Pirelli P7000 (summer) for the summer and Yoko Guardex 600 for winter. I'd get the Pirellis again in a heartbeat if they were available; they are quiet as hell with excellent grip in the dry AND wet. That is where the S-03 are supposed to be the most impressive. Wet traction is MUCHO IMPORTANTE as I myself have totaled a 92 960 in the wet with shitty tires. I just think tires are a part you shouldn't be too frugal while purchasing.

Seems as there are more options for 225 and 205 width tires. I'd prefer to go wider than narrower. I was planning on using some 6mm spacers to move my EC out a tad, I'll need to do some more computations to exact my needs. If I went with 225 (16) what ratio should I get to avoid rubbing etc. Would 55 negate any handling improvements from the wider tires?

When I bought my car it came with a set of Pirelli P7000 Super Sports... those were nice... as mentionned above. I got a screaming deal on a set of Michelin Pilot XGT H4's... they aren't great, but a decent 'high performance all-season' tire. No complaints as far as wet handling, in fact they're excellent for that, just not terribly inspiring on hot dry pavement.

$0.02

I use Michelin MXV+4 and love them. Yes they are Expensive at $140 but the up side is they Last, very quiet at highway speeds, and the ride is better than anything else I have ever owned. I have owned the Dunlop A2, Pirelli P6, BF Good(for nothing)rich Comp T/A's, Goodyear NCT's, And a set for Firestone GT's. Not one of them could hold a candle to the MXV's. I like the fact that I can get 30K + miles out of a set instead of 15K to 20K with the others.

Anyone tried the Bridgstone RE940's? I was considering getting a set next week, Costco has Z rated 225/50/16s for $126 mounted - they're 154 at tirerack.

'Course they won't put them on my car...thye're catalog doesn't show a 16 as an option for the 740 in 89, in fact they don't show my wheels (gemini) as an option for any year, and they won't mount them if they don't have it in their book...so I'll have to just bring them the wheels.

I currently have 205/55/16s and at full lock I get a little rub on the control arm...I'm wondering if it's wise to go any wider on the fronts. Any reason not to do 225/50 in the reear and stay with 205/55 in the front? The height would be basically the same...wouldn't the handling be better with the narrower tires in front?

Evan

I ran the Perreli P7000 SS for a few years, liked them just fine. Just moved into the S03s which are awesome. Currently running a set of 225/45/16s.

I have a set of SO3s 225/50/16 with about 100 miles on them - so practically brand new if someone is interested. I will make you a deal.

Mike Towery was going to buy them but bought a CD of Grp A screen savers instead - so they are still available.

Contact me offline if there is interest: 240GT@email.com

JB
KTP
Board Deviant

Bready said:
Mike Towery was going to buy them but bought a CD of Grp A screen savers instead - so they are still available.

And I regret it every second!

Hey JB, guess what!! I'm buying a set of Yoko's for autocross! That's right, I'm buying tires, and they AREN'T yours! HA HA HA!!! :twisted:

[quote:ab8e2c8eef]Mike Towery was going to buy them but bought a CD of Grp A screen savers instead - so they are still available.[/quote:ab8e2c8eef]

Made me think that the tires were going to be like 70 bucks! lOl

FM901 has tradewear rating of 200 for V rated, and 160 for Z rated.

it was awarded for "Tire of the Year" in Option and Option2 magazine, for those of u dunno Option and Option2 magazine, its literally the bible of modifyin cars in Japan. like Sports Compact Car here.

They tested the tire in performance, value, grip, wet, dry, drift-ability, my set of 4 came in $650 tax incld, mounted and balanced, which was cheaper than Kumho's 712 that I had for a brief of time.

if they are good enough on 600hp GTRs, they are good enuff for me.

Back