• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

twin volvo ICs or a powerstroke?

the poi

Has been
the cars a 760ti; should i try to mount our extra IC behind teh existing one, or should i try to use a powerstroke IC, that someone else has doen (sorry, dont remeber who)? if i remebr, the powerstroke mod needed some frame modifications...but it was a 200 series right? or is there an entirely better IC out there i should try to get my hands on?

I just made up my mind about this the other day...

I was contemplating twin stock ICs... its too much work, for when I can just pick up a PS IC off of ebay for $260 shipped and do a little cutting. Not enough benefit IMHO for almost the same amount of work (piping, etc).

the poi said:
the cars a 760ti; should i try to mount our extra IC behind teh existing one, or should i try to use a powerstroke IC, that someone else has doen (sorry, dont remeber who)? if i remebr, the powerstroke mod needed some frame modifications...but it was a 200 series right? or is there an entirely better IC out there i should try to get my hands on?

I put the Powerstroke Intercooler into my 240. It requires frame mods. You will not have bumpershocks when you finish on one or both sides.
It takes a lot of cutting, and is a lot of work. The Powerstroke intercooler is very obviously a LOT bigger, and should reduce pressure drop. Are other I/C's better suited? Maybe. For the race car, the Powerstroke looks good for me; with all aluminum material, and beefy 3" inlet and outlet. Cool. JL.

I just think that the PS is something like "too much of a good thing"

LOL

no seriously, when you're a serious Volvo modder, something like the PS to cut into a car to achieve some serious performance... just seems a bit much. Surely there is a better way to do it with similar/better results without comprimising some of the intrinstic good things about the car? (read: bumper shocks). Yes you are limited in some demensions, but in others not so much. I think I'll hold off my plans on a PS for now... Perhaps one of the other guys could talk about other IC's that are availible... I do believe that there are just about a hundred other turbocharged vehicles out there... (Iszu... dodge, japanese... blah blah blah... from trucks to cars to 18 wheelers... if the PS works great, why cant something else work well too?

I'm just saying dont stop the R&D progress on the PS buck, but keep going! Experiment! It was surely a bold idea for Kenny (or who else) to do that, but there's obviously some limitations eh?

BTW I dont think I've seen pictures of a NPR or something else installed in a Volvo yet. I'd like to see 'em!

People should look into perhaps a small louver in their hood... a 6x6 inch set of 4 or 5 louvers would increase the cooling of the turbo and air flow dramatically... an idea of ages past... heck, why dont we look back in the early years what those hi-po hi-funded guys did? Surely they experimented in alot of things... they may not do it any longer today because they have better implementations... but they tend to be a bit expensive for us guys eh?

Regah's,

Matt

I've gone over the math regarding the thing hundreds of times. Some people have some effing thick skulls I tell you... You barely know what a turbo looks like Matt, why do people insist on theorizing about this when I have one in my car? Do you not think someone will call you on it?
If you think it's too much of a good thing, back it up with FACTS, just randomly deciding what will work on not with no background understanding is what keeps people going SLOW.

You SHOULD put off your "plans" for a powerstroke becuase you don't even have anything even close to resembling a turbo car, and you know nothing about turbo theory. I'd do a lot of reading first if I were you before I bought anything. Oh, and wait, I did.

I can tell you all that there was no noticeable lag increase over a stock ic.

As far as bumper shocks go, JB has a link to an article regarding bumper shocks which says they provided no noticeable safety advantage over a fixed bumper amongst other things that make a good case for the cutting I did being pretty safe.

Also, paying to modify a powerstroke to fit between the rails is still cheaper than any "racing" intercooler like a spearco. Case closed already.

You love you little benchracer comments... well.. I hate to break it to you bud...

And I'm still waiting for your clarification in that thread on the for sale forum. :roll:

ROFL great post ken!

I'm not saying that the PS is not good or anything... its TOO BIG of a good thing ;) The disadvantages that I "tout" of the PS is NOT the lag, temp efficeney, blah blah blah... its the SIZE of that fucker. Its not a very body friendly mod... for the majority of us, sawzall + volvo does not equate, thats all. Also I dont want everybody to stop and equate PS to be the ONLY mod to put on their turbo, thats darn silly as there's a sea of aftermarket out there and you never know whats out there till you shake every tree. Does that make sense? You obviously made this found by doing the same thing, and are very happy with it, but I just hope that other people will continue to do the same. I know I will when I get to that point and I just MIGHT conclude that the PS is the best, but in my mind that's not going to happen until I satisfactorly researched my own stuff. As for my knowledge of Turbos, well it has improved dramatically in the past few months so hush about that now. I didnt say anything about the PS not being a good IC at all. Its BIG. in DEMENSION. Ok? Its cool that you did that and all, looking forwards to some solid numbers from ya, always good to hear, same with everybody else. So far my favorite Tbricker is Robin (John Lane doesnt count ROFL), but he's out for now... thus doug's my favorite now. :)

As for that stupid thread in the FS thread... according to Towerymt, that guy knows his stuff, and he emailed me a copy of a 1985 new car features volvo page that clearly stated the rods are forged but the rest is cast... Now, I'm not totally convinced on this as he's the first to say that the 85+ rods are forged... I've seen quite a few motors blow like that pic he posted, alot more than the huge M rods... So thus I'm waiting for more proof. Besides, Its obvious that in 1985 Volvo was ramming its head up its own ass at the time.

Ta Ta.

Nice work ignoring the part where I mentioned that cutting it down is still more cost effective than something comparable from a race shop.. :roll:

And I was talking about that nonsensical post about cylinder heads.
Either way...

And thanks for the little spiel about your favorite tbricker... :uh: :uhm:
I'm sure Robin will be taking several showers after reading about it...

Guys, trust us, no, RELY on us two gettting totally off topic :)

You are wierd Kenny.

I do not argue with the fact that sawzall is cheaper than a race shop junk... I HATE the idea of people other than me, dad, cousin and my inspector friend to even TOUCH my car. UGH.

But the thing I'm TRYING to say is that People, dont stop doing R&D! Even tho the PS is damn cool and cheap, keep looking! My ideal IC would be of similar benefit but FITS w/o cutting at less than 3 or 4 hundred bucks, surely there must be SOMETHING out there... just dont give up. We rely on you hardy souls. (btw this statement IS relevant to topic!) Surely that makes sense to you ken, with your Kenny-vision ;)

Ken and y'all, thanks for giving me this silly diversion on this hard, long day. I'm out.

Regarding off-topic and weridness, you're the one who launched off into who your favorite trbick member is in the middle of a post.

"You are wierd Kenny. "

Anyone else catch the irony here? :roll:

"I do not argue with the fact that sawzall is cheaper than a race shop junk..."

I have said twice now that you can modify it to be cheaper AND not require any sawing. You need to read more. I said that twice now.
Read my man.

"But the thing I'm TRYING to say is that People, dont stop doing R&D! Even tho the PS is damn cool and cheap, keep looking! My ideal IC would be of similar benefit but FITS w/o cutting at less than 3 or 4 hundred bucks"

Again, i revert back to you having an EXTREMELY thick skull.
You can modify the powerstroke. How many times do I have to say it? It would then fit all of your criteria.

"Surely that makes sense to you ken, with your Kenny-vision"

You need to understand that some people HAVE done a ton of research Matt. I am one of them. I'm basing my opinion on a lot of research plus experience, and even offering other options that fit your criteria.
You have yet to offer any useful information. So go do some research and go find your better option. Run around blindly, see if anyone really cares.
I cannot understand why, soon as a solution comes up, a bunch of people start running aorund like idiots, overcomplicating things and trying to reinvent the wheel. Especially when it people who know nothing about the problem to begin with, which is still my opinion of you simply based on the valid info you have raised thus far, which is none.
I guess I am weird...

May I?

dunno what is going on 'tween you guys....and don't care...your problemo... :D ...not mine..

re changing the IC....for what "purpose"? ...as in why do you need more? is it because of a larger turbo that you installed?

....I looked into the PS after I heard Cappy went that route....

...Cappy, I am glad to hear there was no lag increase...that is good to know.....

....if I wanted the max IC for the $$, the PS is hard to beat....actually, it is the "best" bang for the $$....

...that has to be qualified...yep, there will be some "fitting" necessary....and Cappy has explained AND shown that....cool...

therefore, the choice to go with a PS can be an informed choice....no one who has done it has tried to hide any "drawbacks" to the procedure....win-win as I see it...

I am happy as a pig in s##t for Cappy and JL.....they did what they wanted to do...it worked for them...and they have shared their experiences...also cool....

it still boils down to what the questioner is trying to achieve....does he have a real need for a larger IC, or is he just wanting to play the bigger peepee game? either way, I cannot and do not fault the PS choice.....even though it is not what I will be doing.....I'm still happy for them, and am glad they're happy with the results....

You guys crack me up. :roll:
I fully expect the PowerStroke I/C to be just dandy, and I didn't cut it up. I cut up the car. It IS the racecar. I do to it what makes me giggle. When it doesn't make me giggle, I will do something different. Remember guys......Overkill is always more fun. It really IS. Try it. JL.

Thank you John.
And again, if it's too big, cutting the core down and having the tank welded back on is still cheaper than most options.

No issues of bigger peepee here, I had no one to compete with when I put it in. Essentially, there were no other "pee pees". It is huge, efficient, and cheap. I see no drawbacks provided one is willing to cut their car OR pay another 150 or so to have it modified.

If you want to pay more, or run something smaller because it's "easier" then great. Like John I just find that boring, and there are no real quantifiable performance advantages to a smaller ic when talking on this scale so I see no better option.

Maximum cross section equals minumum pressure drop, and maximum cooling surface area equals maximum heat exchange, and therefore heat rejection. Which is the goal-efficient boost- regardless of turbo size.

And at any rate, compraing 2 volvo ics to a powerstroke is laughable at best. Like comparing a slingshot to a 44 mag.
If you don't believe me you need to actually see a powerstroke up close.
Have fun with your slingshots..

Cappy, I know why you went with a PS.....that wasn't the point...I was wondering if the original poster was playing the bigger peepee game.....I was not worried about you playing that game....you went that route for the cooling effect....not the "cool" effect...

Although I have no experience with any intercooler modifications it seems to me that the PS would much simpler as far as plumbing goes.. not to mention the fact that it is a lot more intimidating. Wider is Better... Pontiac knows, right?

[quote:443e19e14f]I'm sure Robin will be taking several showers after reading about it...[/quote:443e19e14f]

:barf:

Heh. No, really.

Look.

[quote:443e19e14f]Maximum cross section equals minumum pressure drop, and maximum cooling surface area equals maximum heat exchange, and therefore heat rejection. Which is the goal-efficient boost- regardless of turbo size.[/quote:443e19e14f]

Then:

[quote:443e19e14f]an argument can be made for efficiency over size. [/quote:443e19e14f]

And how do you get efficiency?

SIZE!

Yes, design comes into play as well, but you can't argue that bigger isn't better on a well designed IC. For the money, I can't find anything better. Hell, for a few hundred bucks more, I still can't find anything better.

I love the arguments of underinformed newbies. :roll:
Pantless wonder or whatever you call yourself, go to www.autospeed.com
and search intercooler sprayer and check out their tests. they basically showed that spraying an IC even with special freezing compound like used in electronics is worth virtually nothing on the dyno. A water spray will never remove the kind of heat the ambient airflow is. Alchohol might help a little since it evapourates faster... but still, even 2 volvo ic's with a water sprayer are not even close

I will agree that putting a PS on a stock car would be fairly pointless, but the very fact that someone wants to upgrade their ic merits the fact that they do not plan on keeping things stock. A giant turbo running 4psi would not do much either...

heee, my threads always manage to get people yelling at each other. kenny; after getting a better look at PS IC pics, i've noticed that it is indeed a tad heftier than two volvo ICs. as for the car modifications to get it to fit, are the nes you guys are talking about applicable to the 7/9xx? i havent really looked too hard, but i didnt see any exposed bumper shocks the last time i was in there....

Back