• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230 no start problems

89v240g

Ok, so my 89 240 sedan will not start. Last week the fuel pump went out then the relay would not click after check relay to make sure it wasn't that I read somewhere on here that the ecu ground might be bad so as a temporary fix I put the ground on a toggle switch. It ran fine but now the car won't start and is flooding itself. Pulled the plugs covered in gas with the fuel cut off the engine will stumble to start but obviously won't cause there's no fuel but the minute you turn fuel on it floods. I have replaced the coolant temp sensor and have a new air mass meter on the way. What else could it be that is making it do this? Thanks guys Ben

Have you done any tests such as the ones in my sig?

Asking why your car doesn't start with no diag info is useless.

I it runs with the injectors unplugged and using starter fluid. Not the pumps i can hear them and also took fuel feed line off of rail and getting fuel, fuel pressure regulator? Stuck injector maybe? Please help

I it runs with the injectors unplugged and using starter fluid. Not the pumps i can hear them and also took fuel feed line off of rail and getting fuel, fuel pressure regulator? Stuck injector maybe? Please help

Hearing them doesn't indicate it's getting to the correct pressure.

But always check for spark first. Follow ZVOLV's guide then get back with more info.

Sounds like it really could be flooding. The fact that it runs on ether means it's likely a fueling issue.

You can pull the rail and reground the ground wires and then power the fuel pumps or crank, with the injectors unplugged for safety AND ignition disabled, and see if they leak.

Disable ignition, pull fuel rail, unplug all injectors but one, reground ground wires, spray injector into bottle and see if anything comes out.

These are low tech, no tools methods.

Common problem on 1989 240 is crank sensor.

How long should the injectors stay open? My car has a remanufactured ecu last 3 digits are 951. Also just replaced crank sensor a few minutes ago and still no start.

Dude, you gotta get some tools on there.

Do you have injector pulse? For the cost and effort of a crank sensor you could go spend $10 at the parts store for a noid light kit. Or for free, screwdriver handle to your dome and tip to injector. Buddy cranks.

If you have injector pulse, and sprak, that leaves fuel pressure.

Have a buddy crank while you test for 12v at the fuel pump. Yellow wire. Unplug it and check for 12v between it and ground.

Dude I have tools, I have no injector pulse it's a continuous stream of fuel. Fuel pressure is at 42lbs, I have power at pump already checked that

Ben,

Continuous stream of fuel!? That means your injector drivers are likely shorted. Unless there is a short to ground in the wiring before the ecu. Do you Have the correct injectors? If one puts low resistance injectors in front of a computer that is expecting high z injectors it will short out the drivers from excessive current. I have done it.

A test that comes to mind to check for a short in the wiring would be to unplug the ECU, key on, and still see if the injectors still go. You asked how long injectors should "go" and that answer is NOT AT ALL unless the engine is being cranked.

I'm curious what fittings you used and where you tapped in for fuel pressure test.

Last edited:
It was not stated prior that the injectors were full ON. Noid or test light Tools would have revealed this without pulling the rail.

It was not stated prior that the injectors were full ON. Noid or test light Tools would have revealed this without pulling the rail.

I don't think "continuous stream of fuel" is saying the injectors are on. I think he means the fuel supply, as in delivery stream measured by running the return line into a jug. Maybe I'm wrong.

Why doesn't anyone suggest the mode 3 diags. They test the ECU outputs. No tools needed. Not even a screwdriver.

Back