• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

preformance mods for 89 240dl auto wagon?

mods

The exhaust and cam are really not that much. You could buy a more affordable cam like an A or V cam that would help the performance and not cost what a new cam costs.

auctually for a 2.3 and having 2 inch exhaust stock i think thats plenty for the motor. i already cut the resonator off and weded a straigt pipe back into a pacesetter high flow muffler from my prelude, sounds pretty nice and u can feel a little bit more power, im thinking on takign the cat off adn punching the ceramic out that should give me some more power also.

this is kind of off topic but i read that i can cut the springs on my wagon and it will be ok? i know when i cut them on my prelude before i got coilovers the ride was very bouncy adn the springs did not sit right. im just wondering if it is ok on my wagon. i only want to go down mabey 1.5-2 inch.

what model 240 have the sway bars on the struts? my car needs new struts i can hear them klunking i foudn some cheap KYB GR2's that i think im goign to buy.

also where on the engine does it give the engine code? its a 2.3 i kno that.

If you want more power, get a better factory Volvo cam like an A, B, or K cam. You can pick them up for $30 if you look hard enough.

As far as cutting springs: don't cut stock ones. It'll mess up the ride. Get diesel 240 springs, and cut those.

I have some 240 turbo sways at home that I'll sell to you for $75 plus S&H. Too bad their in CA and not in Hazleton, or I'd drive em down to u. They'll definetly help your handeling.

Jack

Isaac said:
If you want more power, get a better factory Volvo cam like an A, B, or K cam. You can pick them up for $30 if you look hard enough.

As far as cutting springs: don't cut stock ones. It'll mess up the ride. Get diesel 240 springs, and cut those.
what engine and model 240 were those cams offered in? and which is the best one. i can get to a junkyard aroudn here and pick up one for fairly cheap if anyof them came stock in the 240's.

The only one of those cams you can find easily in an American junkyard is a B cam. They came in some years of the B21F engine found in early (1976-1981) 240s. I personally haven't found a B21F that didn't have a B cam in it. You can find one really quick by taking the valve cover off, then looking on the back side of the end of the cam for a stamp that says 'B' on it. You'll need a mirror to do this. It'll either say 'B', or 'M' if you're unlucky and found one with the weaker cam.

The A, B, and K cams give more top end with a sacrifice in low end. A is mildest, with the least sacrifice down low but with a decent bump up top. B is in between. K has a very strong powerband from 3,500-6,000 (in a rev limited car) and is weaker than the other two down low. You won't have to slip the clutch off the line like a racecar or anything to get it going, but you'll be downshifting more often to get it into the powerband.

I've used the B, M, T, and K cams in my car's B23F+T, and personally like the B cam best. I've run it NA and turbo, and it worked well in both situations. It took my car to 14.9@92mph in the quarter mile with 13psi boost. That's why I've got it in there right now.

my cars stock, im looking more into low end power jsut doesnt have the acceleration i want. which is the best for that? so all volvo cams in the 240's are intercahngeable?

Where does the VX shaft fit into the A, B, K line up and how does it affect the powerband?

Thanks,

Gavin S.
SWEDISH RICE!

VX

The VX cam is a combination of the V cam and X cam profiles. It's got a wide flat torque curve and is somewhere between the B and the K cam.
However, it does sacrifice less low end torque while having really good mid range and top end. You can advance your cam and bring the power band down a bit.
Best regards,

I put the VX cam into a '92 245 automatic and found little performance improvement.
The auto needs more torque at the low end and you would have money better spent on the adjustable cam gear to advanc the stock cam.
A K cam plus the gear could be a nice combo because the K has a match in duration for more torque for the turbo motors at low rpm.

I'm running the b23f, in an 83 244, N/A, auto. Would the K be worth it or should i just go for the adjustable gear? or maybe the A or B. I also live in CA, so emissions are an issue.

Thanks guys,

Gavin S.
SWEDISH RICE!

If money is an issue, get the gear first and see how it behaves with a exhaust K&N air filter and some good plugs and wires. You may find that good enough and realize more performance than just the cam only, and stil pass emissions. I think the K cam would pass with a turbo, but not a n/a 240.

If you want low end torque, you're basically stuck with the stock M cam. You can experiment with the T cam in a NA car, since its profile is slightly more torque friendly, but it won't be a very noticeable improvement. I agree with Dave and Peter: get the cam gear from Dale and mess with that with the stock cam and see how you like the improvement.

:handwave:

Haven't posted here in a while but I'll put my 2 bits worth in.

If you're looking for more bottom end, you're not going to get any more with another cam. The M will produce more bottom end than any of the others. The T, as mentioned, is a slight improvement over the M but I haven't compared the 2, side by side. I'm currently running a T cam in a B23E engine with an automatic and can tell you that it pull really hard off the line but it runs out of steam at about 3500. It's not a huge deal because the tranny shifts and you're back in the torque band before 3500 anyways unless you have your foot pinned to the floor. I find it quite acceptable for aroung town.

A few have mentioned a K or A cam and adjustable gear. They'll both give you far more power past 3500 but you will lose bottom end regardless if you install it straight up or put in an adjustable gear and advance it. You have the misfortune of an automatic (correct?) transmission and there isn't a lot you can do to bring out any more bottom end.

There are other things you could do to make it seem a little more peppy. Getting a torque convertor that stalls at a higher rpm will certainly give your car more jump off the line. This is an uncommon modification due to expense but it has been done. You did mention that you wanted cheap so that's probably not an option.

Shameless plug here....I can supply you with a K or A cam as well as adjustable gears. Email me at volvo245gti@shaw.ca for more info.
Thanks Isaac for the plug on the adjustable gears.... :cheers:

Back