• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

262 Bertone cracked door weld

2 old for this

1978 Bertone window frame has cracked again where the frame goes into the door at the rear. When it broke the first time I ground out all the weld for a good clean repair. Any better ideas? I need to practice what I preach-door handles are for opening and CLOSING doors.

With your limited description perhaps you are saying that pushing on the top of the Bertone modified door window frame is not a good idea. Never a problem with Swedish built doors but a potential problem with the Bertone modification.

First I had heard of that.

Otherwise, I jump to the conclusion that 'door handles are for opening and closing doors' has caused a problem.

Forever . . . the problem with Volvo door handles have been the box bolted to the outside of the door jam. Lack of proper operation at point has broken many, if not all of the pot metal (zink) exterior handles. The 'box' is bolted with a couple of very tightly snugged bolts with Philips or Allen heads. It comes off and goes back on without any issues. Take one off and you will see immediately why it breaks things.

Grind it down weld again. Maybe higher heat for better penetration. Another weak spot is on the inside frame just above where you would pull to close the door.

My 78 242 drivers side door has a broken weld at the rear where the window frame meets the door, as well as several cracks on the interior metal panel. Winding up the window causes a ton of flex due to the cracks. I am going to weld everything back, but it is a real problem apparently.

I don't know what caused it except for possibly shutting the door using the top of the door frame. The problem existed when I bought the car so I can't say for sure.

Back