• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Transmission issues?

spacedude89

My 1994 940 developed some bad vibrations overnight. It vibrates bad slightly above idle, and is making sketchy noises. It kinda sounds like piston slap, but it's weird that it so suddenly appeared. Transmission doesn't seem to be slipping, and the engine seems to run pretty good overall. Two days ago it ran perfect, idled normally, and didn't make any weird noises.

You can hear some of the noise at 0:06, and a rumble/roar around 0:14 in this video. It sounds like the cam but it isn't. I'm thinking maybe the torque converter or something? https://youtu.be/oclyCKabaK4

Things I recently did was steam clean a few small things like the outside of the coil, and around some other oily stuff in the engine bay, and it ran all day after that without issue. I also adjusted the kick down a little a week ago, but doubt that's related. New fuel pumps, filter, fpr, distributer cap, wires, as of this year.

I think it might be the torque converter, or maybe a bearing cap on the crank or something weird like that. Engine has never been apart afaik.

Last edited:
Since seeing guys cars stop running after cleaning engine compartment at carwash I expect that something is wet.

Back