• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Center fuel pump

cmanns

Where should I buy (brand/etc, is dealer way overpriced?)

What tools needed for job?

My pump makes GRRRRRR noises and the records of the car do show intank replaced few years ago, and it doesn't exhibit the same issue as my 740 where around 1/4th tank the center pump would get loud (not as loud as my 940 even) but the pump on my 740 would even smell burning and sound struggling.

This one just YELLS, and changes pitch each fireup. :rofl:

I recommend a lift and a 3/8" $600 electric impact gun from SnapOn! Do I own either of those!? Nope but it sure would make the job easy.

Or just hole the banjo bolt comes off easily becausw if you tear a hose you are boned. Or overkill tool for removal is OK like a half inch impact!

And fresh mounts.

Bosch pump.

And labscope the pump current before and after for science reasons.

I recommend a lift and a 3/8" $600 electric impact gun from SnapOn! Do I own either of those!? Nope but it sure would make the job easy.

Or just hole the banjo bolt comes off easily becausw if you tear a hose you are boned. Or overkill tool for removal is OK like a half inch impact!

And fresh mounts.

Bosch pump.

And labscope the pump current before and after for science reasons.

You lost me at hole the banjo

So is this not a job I can just pickup pump and tackle tomorrow? I need to do water pump gaskets tomorrow shes peeing water after hard drives to work so I took day off.

I'd love to labscope it. It's different every few key turns though I have no lab scope, lift, electric impact. :oops:

I remember these pumps being loud`ish (my 740 had dead in-tank so was probably a tad louder always) but this one I can pickup on phone mic. It's louder then my 940 w/rear muffler chopped.

Ok so def Bosch pump. What are the mounts for? Vibration right? I read in my cars repair logs from 2002 or so that it was never fitted with something that caused excessive vibrations from fuel pump not sure if they ever fixed that. :rofl:

ZVOLV is there to complicate your life. For science reasons.

You need 17 and 19mm combination wrench or socket to loosen the banjos, then 13mm socket to remove the pump/filter cage from under the car. Lift/ramp makes it easier, but crawling/jackastands work fine too.

Replace the filter as well while you're in there, even if it's not too old.

Bosch is ok. I've had good fortune with Airtex ones as well, but some seem to curse them...

Edit: Yeah, new rubber mounts are a good idea, as well as new copper washers.

I meant to say try an impact to free the banjo or just HOPE it comes off easily. You don't want to break a hose. Same with the transfer hose.

soak em with PB blaster, or acetone/ATF mix. Have some rubber caps to put over the fuel line so you don't spill gas all over the place. Makes the job less annoying.

If you do happen to break the pump output to filter deal that Zvolv is talking about, I have one I just took off a car. It's in good shape because I removed it with an impact gun :)

Disconnect fuel hose from pump inlet and plug, disconnect fuel line from filter that leads to fuel rail. Remove entire pump and filter assembly cradle from under car. This will make working on things easier.

I just had my 240 in the air. There is a hard line coming out of the filter and a hard line transfer tube between the pump and the filter. Don't hang weight on it and don't put any strain on them. If they break you will hate life and have an inoperable car for a bit.

Soak them in penetrant and do the xfer one on the bench.

Last edited:
Back