• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW not holding 1st gear

KIM240

Am I being dumb, or should my AW auto box hold 1st gear with shifter in position 1?

My 245 project its now well underway, but when trying to provoke oversteer at low speed in 1st, the tranny shifts into 2nd?

I've never noticed this before, but then this is the first time i've started to abuse my 245.

When 'rolling in' in 2nd, and pulling back the shifter in to 1st, it correctly downshifts in 1st.

If its supposed to hold 1st gear, whats wrong?

I'm due a fluid change (30k miles since last change), but im not sure thats the issue?

Thanks

Last edited:
83 views and no reply?

I'm looking for someone with a 200/700/900 series auto to confirm whether theirs holds 1st gear when accelerating hard, or whether it changes into 2nd (with shifter still in 1st)?

Thanks

Simon

probably because it sounds like a linkage adjustment/bushing issue. not much to discuss, there's no aw71's stateside with anything like a force-shift (Which does exist in some transmissions.. noteably stock th400's)

If its in 1, it should stay in 1st gear. if its 2, it will shift from 1st into 2nd and stay there. Check your linkage for play and adjust as needed. Here's the Greenbook to help: http://www.k-jet.org/files/greenbooks/200/Section%204%20-%20Power%20Transmission/TP30578-1_automatic_transmissions_bw55_aw55_aw70_aw71.pdf
I would do a transmission service while you're at it.

can verify

Under X conditions, 2nd will downshift into 1st

1st will stay 1st and bounce off revlimiter

My trans/engine mounts are bad and linkage changes points, I've had "first" go into 2nd before. Park also drops out which gave me quite a scare when first bought car and was like HEY MY PARK LEVER IS BROKEN? No it's not it just pops out time to time :rofl:

Thanks for the continued help, much appreciated.

Cmanns, when your engine & trans move enough to move from 1st to 2nd, does your shifter move with it? You may be onto something, my mounts are very soft.

Also when i tried it in a straight line it held 1st to the redline, which supports the idea of the engine & trans moving around in a tight 180 bend.

I do have new mounts waiting to go on. I've rebushed the rest of the car.

Thanks again.

Cmanns, when your engine & trans move enough to move from 1st to 2nd, does your shifter move with it? You may be onto something, my mounts are very soft.

Also when i tried it in a straight line it held 1st to the redline, which supports the idea of the engine & trans moving around in a tight 180 bend.

Thanks again.

that must be it

The shifter will move a tad

Say you slam brakes and shove into park, sometimes it'll still be in reverse until driveline shifts. (I think this is one situation)

I have a 940 though linkage shifting due to bushings should act similar I'd imagine.

can verify

Under X conditions, 2nd will downshift into 1st

1st will stay 1st and bounce off revlimiter

My trans/engine mounts are bad and linkage changes points, I've had "first" go into 2nd before. Park also drops out which gave me quite a scare when first bought car and was like HEY MY PARK LEVER IS BROKEN? No it's not it just pops out time to time :rofl:

That is correct! Forgot to add that part. :-P

Thanks again.

Your shifter will move around a bit due to rubber mounts, not solid mounts, but if it is really noticeable I would replace them. Mine looks like a pancake right now and needs to be replaced. Had only enough time to do the diesel motor mounts last weekend. You're on the right track :cheers:

Back