• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fuel pump quit. Weighing my options

moustacio

Hi everyone,

Stock 1988 745 turbo, lh 2.2, b230ft, etc. with at most 10psi boost (usually a lot less).

My in line fuel pump died today on the way to the dentist. Don't need any help diagnosing, however, I have some questions and would like some expert advise.

So I'm wanting to go with a single in tank pump, in particular the DeatschWerks DW 200, and remove my in line pump. Several reasons, but mainly it comes down to costs. The line between the filter and in line pump needs replacing and my in tank pump is a junkyard find so who knows how long it has.

Questions:

1)Will the DW 200 be too much fuel for my car, or will the fpr take care of that?
2)Any thoughts on whether a Bosch or Geniune last any longer than the DW 200?
3)Wiring: I plan to extend the in line pump to the sender and use the stock equipment to run the in tank pump. Any issues here?

I probably have more questions but I welcome and appreciate any input.

Sorry, another question:

4)Will the Bosch normally aspirated fuel pump work? Part # 9142044

Ipd has the turbo pump, part number 9142045, listed with the 9142044 as cross reference. And fcp says will not fit turbo models for the 912044

Thanks again for any help

Hey all,

Had to obtain a pump to get me by for the mean time. Pulled a Bosch 0 580 464 039 in line fuel pump out of a n/a 1990 245 DL with unknown miles. And the 0 580 464 039 was superseded by 0 580 464 068.

Car seems to drive fine and boosts but I kept boost low out of fear of not enough fuel.

So will this n/a fuel pump work just fine? E.g. will this fuel pump supply enough flow and pressure for my b230ft at 10psi of boost?

Thanks for any help.

And the failed pump, I believe, was a Delphi that was always noisy as heck since I got the car. This junkyard pump is silent to my ears.

May want to check that the intank pump is functioning properly. If the intank pump doesn't function the main pump will make noise.

Hi lummert and thank you,

The in tank pump is a junkyard one as well, but it is working well. Recently put a piece of clear tube from the fuel sender outlet and into the gas tank filler and saw a nice, constant, and plentiful flow (thanks cleanflametrap). Also, while diagnosing my dead in line pump I jumped the in tank and could hear it singing quietly along.

The "new" junkyard in line pump is inaudible to me.

Thanks again

My 88 765 has a fuse for the in-tank pump. Momentarily pulling the in-tank pump fuse should result in the main pump becoming noisy. Good test.

Does anyone know of a Bosch fuel pump specifications chart? Couldn't find an inclusive list in my searching.

Fcp has a 6 cylinder 760 pump on clearance and I would like to be certain that it will do the job. I'm still considering the dw200 but I'm thinking the Bosch will outlast the DW after reading more on the subject.

Thank you

I have been running my original n/a pump on my turbo converted car for many years. Hasnt run out of fuel yet. If you are paranoid pull the return line and time how long it takes to pump a half gallon of fuel. That should tell you if you are flowing enough for your injectors. Although you would need to up the fuel pressure for a completely adequate test it should give you ballpark.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yeah, I've had the car for 8 years so I don't think the itch is that strong. Especially on a worn out engine with skinny rods.

Maybe I should start a new thread but...
What's the consensus on the longevity of the DeatschWerks fuel pumps?
I'm still wanting to go this route, but I want something that will last.

+1 my dw200 is silent and has been running strong for a year and a half now....I love it! It also supports enough fuel to run 25psi!

Thanks for the responses, it puts me more at ease on going with the dw200.

And I suppose if I go with the single pump, and it eventually fails, that I will have the stock pumps as a backup.

Thanks again to everyone for the responses

Hope y'all don't mind another question. I've been reading a lot on the single pump conversion but am not sure on something...

Is it necessary to replace the fuel sender to fuel cage (i.e. where the filter and in line pump are) fuel line with a high pressure line? Or is the stock line already high pressure?

Thanks for any continued help. Seems like I find conflicting information

I use both DW250 pumps and WOW... new car feel. That and I re-plumbed the oe layout. in-tank to filter, then main pump now...

Hi yarchlrl,

Thanks for posting more information on the DW pumps.

If you don't mind can you post a link of the fuel hose that you used, or what kind and where you obtained it? Also interested in how you wired it if it's not too much trouble to explain.

Thank you

Back