• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Calling all diesel experts - no start

I have posted this warning before, be careful around the fuel lines. The pressure is great enough that the fuel can be injected into you. The only cure is amputation.

It fired right up, just now in 20 degrees. The last couple days it was parked facing uphill, maybe that had something to do with it.

My old 240 diesel when I first got it before I put in the rebuilt motor was always hard to start, low compression, but the real problem was the leaky injection pump seal. It would leak the fuel out if it say for a while then it was hard to start as the seals where bad in the pump and then it couldn't suck the fuel into the pump and get it primed and started. But it would always start if I push started it. I push started it for two years..

It fired right up, just now in 20 degrees. The last couple days it was parked facing uphill, maybe that had something to do with it.
What was the temp when it wouldn't start?

Parking facing uphill ==> losing prime is a known failure mode of a leaky IP mainshaft seal. But if it wouldn's start a few days ago when parked uphill, and started now, still parked uphill, it's probably not that.;-)

What was the temp when it wouldn't start?

Parking facing uphill ==> losing prime is a known failure mode of a leaky IP mainshaft seal. But if it wouldn's start a few days ago when parked uphill, and started now, still parked uphill, it's probably not that.;-)

To clarify, the last couple days it was parked facing uphill and super hard to start. Today it was parked in the driveway and fired right up. All about the same temperature.

Does that mean your driveway is flat, or angled downward? Because mine is angled quite upward and that is what I am imagining. Sorry my ESP not working like it used to and I'm not getting a clear read on your car's angle on your driveway. If you have actual difficulties (challenges?) describing the situation on your computer, let me apologize beforehand.:oops:

Does that mean your driveway is flat, or angled downward? Because mine is angled quite upward and that is what I am imagining. Sorry my ESP not working like it used to and I'm not getting a clear read on your car's angle on your driveway. If you have actual difficulties (challenges?) describing the situation on your computer, let me apologize beforehand.:oops:

Ahh, sorry. By parked uphill I meant in the street. Driveway is flat.

Sounds like the injector pump is losing it's prime if it is really hard to start. You can pull the 17mm banjo fitting on the top of the pump and fill it to the top with CLEAN diesel fuel, diesel additives, or ATF. If it starts easily, the pump will need to be resealed. Also ohm all of your glow plugs. It should be able to start grumpily on 4 good ones, 6 are obviously ideal. Less than 4 is difficult to impossible, especially in the winter.

Injectors 2 and 3 seem to be leaking around the base.. I smelled diesel earlier and one of the injectors was actually spurting fuel but it seems to have stopped, now it's just seeping.

Now what?

Glow plugs working? Have you tested them? At least test the front four by ohming them out. Is the timing belt moving front and rear? 12v to the injector pump top solenoid with the key on? DO NOT, I REPEAT- DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID TO TRY TO START IT! YOU WILL DAMAGE THE PISTON RINGS OR WORSE!

Yes, GPs are fine. That issue turned out to be related to gravity and whatnot. It's been starting just fine since I stopped parking pointed uphill.

I know not to use starting fluid, I'm slightly less dumb than that.

Sorry, I was using my phone and couldn't go through the replies- thought it was not starting again. You can try to tighten the injectors, but be careful. Over tightening will crack the head... ask how I know. You will likely need to remove ALL 6 injectors and carefully clean everything and replace the heat shields to get rid of the leaks. I am assuming the rubber bleeder lines and end cap on #1 is/are alright.

Some people don't realize the damage starting fluid causes in some diesels, especially the D24.

apQji6V.png

#1 injector tube.. What are my chances that I'll be able to find one?

Again, no start. I took off the leaky line to solder it and took it on a short drive afterwards, but it started leaking again. Next morning it wouldn't start. I figured there was air in the lines so I took it off to do a better soldering job and purged all the air out. Still no start. If I crack a line at the injector it sprays diesel so I know there's fuel. Tried starting it in the middle of the day when it was hot, no difference. Feels like it wants to kick over but it just isn't firing on enough cylinders.

I wish it was stick shift so I could just roll it in the street and see what happens.

Back