• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M46 with M47 clutch

crash_artist

I had to use the M47 clutch setup in my 90 240, but i put a M46 trans in. I used the M46 style release arm. After several months of driving it with no issue, i am out of adjustment and the release arm hits the bell housing before full disengagement. Do I need the M47 release arm and pivot? I have not set the two side by side to know if there is a difference in throwout bearing position... I suspect pressure plate failure, because it will sometimes disengage OK, sometimes not.. Any insight would be appreciated..

Ive done this swap but cant recall your question for the arm. When I did the swap I used M46 trans but used the M47 flywheel, clutch / pressure plate, release arm, throwout bearing. Cant remember about the ball. Mine has been fine last 3 years or so.

The pressure plates are different between these two btw, and you have to use the correct flywheel for whatever clutch your using. M47 = dogdish, M46 flat flywheel.
The M47 pp is pretty flat, the M46 is more raised.

Just swapped my M47 with an M46. I didn't touch the clutch, left the dogdish M47 flywheel in there, and it works fine. There's no difference in clutch fork/throwout bearing.

I think you're gonna have to take out the trans.

I put a new M46 style release arm in because it comes with the pivot. It does't look bent.. I have a warranty clutch kit ordered, just want to make sure I didn't need to put the M47 release arm in while i have it apart.. The pivot bolt is tight, and if I remember correctly I put blue loctite on it. It looks to me like the release fingers on the pressure plate are not coming up as far as they should, but without a new one to compare it to I can't confirm that. I have it on a hoist at work, and plan to check there is no crankshaft end play after I'm done doing a clutch in a POS Kia...

Going by your mention of the clutch pressure plate fingers. Did you torque the bolts when tightening the pressure plate bolts? If you over tighten them the clutch isn't going to work very well. If I recall correctly they get torqued to 18ftlb.

The different release arms were used on both m46 and m47. It's just whether it is the style that goes on the pins or just sits in the hole in the release arm.

No crankshaft end play, as I suspected. IF the release arm is bent, it is not obvious. Again, need a known good one next to it to see... As this is my daily, I will be limping it until the replacement parts arrive. I will update when the failure is confirmed.. Appreciate the help guys, this is my first venture into the manual trans on a Volvo in MANY years..

s-l1600.jpg

fullsize_30519.jpg

Last edited:
I meant an actual side by side, in person.. I have been trying to compare them via pictures, but without dimensions...... same thing with the PP fingers, haven't found a side view to see how far they are above the housing...

The older pin type has the ball shaped bolt captive on the release arm. The later type uses a spring to keep the arm on the ball. If you don't clip it in there correctly or if the spring is weak it can let you down after a short while like you have described.

Back