• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ZF rack&pinion leaking into the tie rod end boots

Volvo265

Got another question that is different from but still related to my other post about tie rod ends and ZF R&P's. My 80 has been rebuilt in the past (about 1999 or 2000) and that rebuild included a reman ZF rack and pinion. I realize that 1999 was almost 20 years ago and that makes it seem like the life of this rack was perfectly acceptable. However, the car has only 60,000 miles on it since the car was rebuilt and its been leaking for a few years now (very minor leak, nothin that was urgently in need of repair). I am planning to put new seals in this unit and use a rack from the junk yard until I get the old unit sent off, rebuilt, and sent back. But, before I do anything I want to ask you guys' opinion on something.

This car has a 1997 Chevy S10 4.3L Vortec engine in it, and is using the chevy alternator, power steering pump, etc. I frequently see kits sold to reduce the pressure of a GM pump (tho they sell it for use with the old pinto/mustang 2 rack and pinion units which apparently need less pressure). Seeing stuff like that, and having what seems like an uncommon and premature failure on my reman rack and the fact that I have a pump that was designed for a truck/suv steering box, I am wondering if the GM pumps pressure is significantly higher than the original volvo pump, and if that could be the reason for the failure of this rack? I do not know what the operating pressure spec is for either of the pumps, or of the rack.

Should I install a pressure reducing kit in my pump, or do you guys think that it was just time for the seals in that rack to start leaking?

Isn't the S10 pump the same canned ham style used on the B21? You should be able to just swap over the Volvo pressure valve onto the S10 pump unless the hose fitting is different.

Isn't the S10 pump the same canned ham style used on the B21? You should be able to just swap over the Volvo pressure valve onto the S10 pump unless the hose fitting is different.

My car had a B28. It's a 265. Dont know what pump it had as all the volvo stuff is long gone (engine swap was done in the late 90s when the original engine cracked one of the heads)

the metal line on the back of the pump remove it and there will be a bigger nut that threads into the pump back it out and a spring and poppet valve will be behind it, if i was you i would put a Volvo valve/spring in yours it will fit what hi-per s trying to say there both saginaw built pumps Volvo Dodge Chevy gmc i know all used them the only real difference is the valve spring in back

summit racing has a kit just for using a reciculating ball steering pump, what the truck was.. to a rack and pinion even

Back