• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

CAM Rack P.S. Pump/ Fluid Bleed

moustacio

Hey everyone.

1988 745 with CAM steering rack, over 250,000 miles on car. Rack doesn't leak any fluid.

My power steering pump had been whining, sounds similar to an electric motor, for a few months. Found that the return line was pinched so I replaced that in hopes that the pump was still good. Did a less than professional bleed and the pump started whining again after the car warmed up.

I'm thinking I didn't bleed the Type F ATF properly and now I have many small bubbles in the reservoir. Also, the steering wheel was shaking and giving resistance while turning full left and right.

Should I follow this procedure to bleed the system?
http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900... Rack Power Steering Fluid Bleeding Procedure

Or will I have to wait for the small bubbles to dissipate?

Also, is it possible that a failing/failed P.S. pump could introduce air bubbles?

Hope this makes sense and thank you for any help.

or the suction line is sucking air. I've never had to bleed a saginaw style pump the bubbles will work themselves out

The basic process to bleed the steering system is to jack up the front of the car. Put it on jackstands. Then while idling the engine. Turn the steering from lock to lock about ten times. that is all you need to do.

Hi and thank you for the replies.

Then I suppose I did the proper procedure plus doing the same with the engine off before starting the engine and going full left and right.

Freevolovos: are you saying that there is a breach in the smaller suction line? I don't lose any fluid, or is it like a brake hose where the inside of the hose is deteriorating?

As far as a possible bad pump, that will not cause air bubbles?

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate the help.

The inside of he hose can decay and swell just like a brake line. But they aren't the high pressure side so those hoses can be bought off the roll. The small hose is 3/8 and the large one is 5/8. Be sure it is rated for oil.

Thank you,

I just replaced the 5/8" line today. Went out to the car about an hour ago and the bubbles in the atf were gone. Went ahead and tried to bleed the system again and took it for a ride, no bubbles after the ride. Pump is still whining. I hate to throw parts at the car but I have records that the pump was replaced with a junkyard unit by the previous owner so hopefully I'll get that done tommorow.

Thanks again and I'll post back with the outcome.

take the belt and try spinning the pump by hand does it feel rough? are your house clamps snug enough I've had them suck a little air and make the pump whine... at least pumps are cheap

Hi and thank you,

Ended up replacing with a remanufactured pump. Old pump sounded pretty crunchy when spinning the pulley off the car. Ever since I first wrote there has been no bubbles in the atf in the reservoir. However, I am still getting a whine.

Another question that is hopefully related:

Should the steering rack have any up and down play?

I pushed up on the rack and I can move it up and down within the housing. However, there is no fluid loss from the rack. Is my rack toast? And could this be the cause of the whine in the p.s. Pump?

Thank you again and thank you for any further help.

Worn bushings. Replace rack. Reman is inexpensive.

Most 'reman' pumps get rubber parts and paint on a 250,000 mile pump. It makes pressure and doesn't pee on the floor? It passed the reman test and goes in the box for sale.

Saginaw pumps tend to be noisier then ZF.

A hard as a rock high pressure power steering hose will transmit more vibrations (thus: noise) to the car.

Reman junk is commonly bad right out of the box or fails quickly. I have had to do alternators, power steering pumps, etc up to 4 times in a row before getting one that lasted.

A co-worker recently did two reman power steering pumps in a row and they were still noisy and after doing the rack and a third pump everything was quiet and worked.

Good luck.

Thanks for the great info and help guys,

I just pulled a steering rack from the junkyard and will hopefully get it installed tommorow.

Back