• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Hardwiring tail lights trouble

Bcmonks

Hello,

My tail lights on my 1982 Volvo 244 GLT weren't working and caused me to fail an inspection, and while I was browsing Dave Barton's site, I saw a mod about hard wiring tail lights.

Last night I took on the task of hard wiring. Armed with this guide, I attempted to get my lights fixed. After plugging everything in (and then blowing a fuse because of not using electrical tape), I got the lights to semi work. The left side blinker doesn't work, and instead the bottom left light is blinking when i use the blinker. Also, the right sides running lights don't work, but the blinker does. I didn't get to checking the reverse and brake lights though, because my wife was busy doing something else, and I'm not sure how to check them without a second pair of eyes.

Am I using the correct diagram? It's possible that I just crossed some wires somewhere, but I just wanted to make sure that I was looking at the correct documentation. If anyone knows anything else that I could have done wrong, I would greatly appreciate any input.

Also, does everyone else have a piggyback on their wires right before they go into the 8 gang connector? Essentially a small plastic barrel looking thing, with a wire coming out of it. I seem to have one on almost every wire, and I'm not sure if this is stock.

It's been a while, but that barrel doesn't sound stock?

It sounds like you've got something still not grounding properly. I know when I did this... it was STILL fiddly because of the damn blankets. I solved it by buying a wagon lol.

To test brakes when wife is busy, I use snowbrush bumped into front of seat cushion. Don't know if snowbrushes are a thing in STL but... c'est la vie.

I think you crossed something. As mentioned above, get a small piece of wood or whatever to wedge onto the brake pedal to test for your brake light circuit. No need for the pry bar for the other lights. You are using a test light, yes?

Does your have a trailer hitch? The piggyback sounds like someone tapped into those wires for a trailer connector. You could follow them and see where they go, they could be shorting to ground or causing other problems and the quality of previous owner's electrical work is always dubious. It's the first thing I get rid of when I buy a car.

As far as the hardwiring of tails, first thing is to check and clean the grounds for the lights. If there is any corrosion at all, cut off the old ring terminal and crimp on a new one. Use a wire brush and de-oxit where it connects to the chassis.

I would recommend against following a wire diagram, and test each wire individually with a meter or test light to verify its function. It sounds like some of your connections may be wrong. The wire colors can change year to year. Testing each wire will also let you know if there is a problem before it gets to the rear lights, which is also possible. You can do this solo by positioning your meter or light somewhere where you can see it from the driver's seat when pressing the brake. (I've only done this in wagons, so maybe it was easier for me.)

Here are the wiring diagrams for 1982 to help you troubleshoot http://volvowiringdiagrams.com/volvo/240 Wiring Diagrams/TP30414-1 1982 240 260 Wiring Diagrams.pdf

First of all, I have found Volvo (factory) Wiring Schematics and color coding to be very accurate and follow the factory schematics from year to year.

On my car(s), I have wired the circuits as indicated on the wiring schematics and color code for each connection.

The wiring colors in the work that I did is not per the schematic, rather, it is the wire colors that I had in hand in my shop, although I did keep the (my) same colors from side to side on the tail lights.

I went from factory color to my color schematic at the point in the trunk harness where the main connector for the tail lights is located.
I simply cut out the connector and wired directly from the various factory (Volvo) wiring to my own taillight wiring bundle.....twist, solder and cover with shrink wrap.

I've changed the wiring on several of my Volvo 240's over the years, and I try to improve the process every time.

This time I entirely eliminated the soft flexible metal circuit board and soldered the circuit wires directly to the tabs on the bulb holders.
This also eliminated the troublesome plug connector on the flexible circuit board.

You will notice that I drilled a small hole in each bulb holder next to a existing opening.
I used these openings to add a small nylon zip tie to secure the wires to the bulb holder.
This takes the stress off of the wiring solder joints at each holder.

Make sure that make each wire you solder in is long enough to let you easily remove and install the bulb holders back into the taillight housing.
No use to fight the holder and wire when leaving extra wire is easy enough.

This totally eliminates any problems with the prongs on the bulb holders making proper contact with the flexible circuit board.

It's been 14 months since I reworked the taillights this particular car, and I haven't lost or had a failure in a light bulb yet.
Neither have I had a loose connection on a bulb.

Here is how I wired the tail lights on my 92 Volvo 240 sedan.
It is definitely worth doing.

Pictures are coming!

Here they are!

http://imgur.com/a/bxb5z

Last edited:
Back