• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Don't know where to buy anything for my 2000 Volvo V40

goosepants

So I was looking into upgrading my car a bit, the problem is I have no idea where to start or where to buy anything. I've seen many people upgrade a V40, but idk if they live in the U.S because every website I look on is European or something. Any help would be appreciated :)

Uhh new exhaust, ecu tune, possibly 14t turbo, and then I was thinking a cold air intake but I keep reading that it doesn't really do much. IDK really anything that might get me some speed that wouldn't be too expensive.

I'm loving the support from everyone! :) For real tho can anyone answer my q?

Last edited:
The v40 doesn't really have an engine to work on... 1.9L i4

If you want easy power, just up the boost. If you want MORE power, then swap the turbo.

If it's a mitsu tdo4, then you can easily fit the larger variants (14b, 15g, 16t, 19t) with minor modifications. I don't think many people know about that platform, probably because it doesn't yield much, but do your homework and find out the details (injector size, boost capabilities, blah, blah)

Or sell it and buy something cheaper and easier to mod. :lol:

Super generic answer: IPD, eEuroparts, FCP Euro or something to that effect may get you going.

I will argue that the little 4 has potential... Look at the current Volvo line up where it seems everything is turbo 2.0! T5 (250HP) vs T6 (315 HP)... Its all whiteblock right..?

The 4 cylinder whiteblock is a nice engine if you don't want crazy amounts of power.

As with the 5 cylinder engines, the rods are the weak point so you have to be careful when using turbos with low boost treshold. Make sure the boost comes in gradually and increases with rpms.

Another weak point of these engines are the cylinder liners, which can crack when the engines are heavily tuned. In this regard the 1.9 (b4194) is better than the 2 litre b4204 because of the smaller bore and thus thicker walls.

300hp has been done for the 1.9 engines. Possible recipe: a 19T(ebay), a good exhaust (BSR for example, or make your own), injectors. And most importantly: A good tune which limits the boost at low rpms!

I would imagine this would be a very fun v40, fwd or not.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the help, and really I was looking for about 300 hp out of this, nothing too serious.

Maybe not talk numbers and just see what you can do. I mean when are you really going to get this thing on a dyno...

300hp is not going to be easy. You're going to need to tune it, and get some bigger gear in there like said before.

realistically on the 1.9 . . . . . 250~ at crank & reliable. After that deep pockets, engine out for balanced pistons & rods, head work for revs. What can the trans take before grenading?

A tune from some places like (quick google search) http://www.oetuning.com/volvo-s40-1-9-t. Claims to push power +35hp over stock for $495 for 205hp

Back