home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #76
nel621
Board Member

I may look into that ( maybe not, ha ). I think I got it plenty clean. I just wanted to make sure the new butyl had place go. The front window had been replaced before and I don't think they ever clean the trim before installing it. I was able to remove it without any effort at all. Same went for the back.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:11 PM   #77
nel621
Board Member

A little more progress today. I polished the stainless trim for the back window. The front will get done tomorrow. My grinder is set up as buffer. The arbors have extensions on them so I can polish wider, longer items. This time around the right side has a sisal wheel for more aggressive buffing and the left has a loose cotton wheel for polishing. I didn't have any stainless compound for buffing so I use jewelers rouge, it was aggressive enough to take out the light scratches. Then I used some white polishing compound on the loose wheel for final polishing. Since the buffer is on a rickety narrow stand I'm able to get close enough to maneuver the trim any way I need to. I actually had it wrapped around me, held very securely, and slowly got it all done. Can't stress enough that you hold on to the piece very securely. Also there is a sweet spot on the wheels where the trim won't get ripped out of your hands. If you are standing on the side of the buffer at look at it straight on, it will be between 3 and 5 o'clock. Anyplace else and you're asking for trouble.

The bottom one is the polished one.

Once again the bottom piece is finished.

The two on left are done and somehow I missed placed one of these

Been looking at some videos about installing vinyl tops. Not sure If I'll attempt this although it doesn't look too hard. My only concern is that I'm dealing with the original top so there is NO extra material to pull.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #78
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Lookin' good! If I'd read this 30 minutes earlier --- I had two of those that came off my trim. I bent the trim removing it - but the clips were ok, until I further bent the trim to get it into the trash can.....
Old 09-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #79
nel621
Board Member

No! Go back and search.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #80
M.H. Yount
Board Member

I did before I replied - both bent.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #81
nel621
Board Member

I only need the small section. I can work with the damage.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #82
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Sent you an email
Old 10-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #83
hiperfauto
Board Member

https://www.ersatzteile-wug.de/en/bo...2c-bright.html
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #84
2 old for this
Board Member

Find some BlueMagic headlight lens Restoer. This stuff will take your stainless to the next level. Use a new soft wheel.
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:25 PM   #85
nel621
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Thanks but can't reach the site.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:26 PM   #86
nel621
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 old for this View Post
Find some BlueMagic headlight lens Restoer. This stuff will take your stainless to the next level. Use a new soft wheel.
thanks. next time at the parts store I'll check it out.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:32 PM   #87
nel621
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Sent you an email
Thank you Michael. replied.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #88
Old Iron
I Roll

This is a fantastic build and has been a long time in the making! Glad to see it coming to fruition. The trim looks brilliant!
Old 10-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #89
nel621
Board Member

Thanks, just need to find that other clip. Looking at the 122 window trim it looks the same. Got one?
Old 10-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #90
Old Iron
I Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
Thanks, just need to find that other clip. Looking at the 122 window trim it looks the same. Got one?
I’ll check, but I think I scrapped the trim I had.
Old Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:43 PM   #91
nel621
Board Member

The Good.
The car is finally one color. Got it home today and gave it a quick wash. Turned many heads on the ride home. The shine is brilliant. Looks good in the driveway.
The Bad
As I go over the car I find areas that could/should have been done better. There is what I can only describe as either trapped air bubbles or debris in the clear. You cannot feel it on the surface and it is only noticeable under certain light conditions. These issues are found on the flat surfaces. I attribute these issues to the environment in which the car was painted ( no paint booth , non sterile area). No pis of this as it is difficult to photograph.

Something went wrong here on the fender. Discoloration. Just that one spot.

This happened on the way home. Also got a small scratch on the lower passenger door. No pic of door.

When welding in the patch panel someone went overboard and covered two of the holes for the trim.

Left front fender has been hit by an acorn before the car came home. Hard to tell in photo.

I need to take some more pictures. The door side of the door jam should have had more paint. And finally the hood. When painting it in the driveway my tent fell down and did minor damage. The hood had to be redone. I think they didn't wait long enough before applying new paint as I think (not sure ) the repair shrunk. We are talking about an area the size of a quarter. Although the car came home today the few people who have seen it cannot see what I see. I'm my worst enemy. I'm not sure where I'll go from here. Another painter has reached out to me and his father has a paint booth. The idea is to redo the car from the belt line up. I need outside input so PLEASE post your comments. My wife says leave it alone for now and revisit some other time. I will have the vinyl top installed so that I can install the smaller windows. I need to decide very quickly. Cold weather is coming and IF everything goes well I should be opening my own business and there goes my free time.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #92
nel621
Board Member

I want to stress that I did the original sanding of this car down to the factory primer. The car got some epoxy primer to prevent any surface rust while in waiting. It was then sanded, primed and body work done, re primed and sanded again. All the sanding done by me was with a block, also using a guided coat as I went along. The panels were flat and straight. There is very little filler. Only on some door dings and of course where welding and patch panels were repaired. The finish coat was done with 1500 and 2000 wet dry. I used a block but I did not always see a block in the hands of the painter.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:15 PM   #93
M.H. Yount
Board Member

If you can't garage it, a certain amount of deterioration begins to occur from day 1. I'd leave it as is if you can't garage it.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:32 PM   #94
nel621
Board Member

I can't garage it because I can't get my other coupe to run. The car gets pushed out but needs to go sideways to try and get the silver one in there. It's tricky. The more I think about it I'm inclined to put it back together then later on just remove enough trim to get the panels I don't like redone. But just the thought of having to remove the same trim again really ticks me off.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:55 PM   #95
M.H. Yount
Board Member

What kind of shape is the other coupe in?

If the other one is rough - I'd put it outside and put the nice one inside. Or buy a set of dollies to make it easier to move the other one around. I'd do whatever I could to get some garage space for the one you're restoring.

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 10-08-2018 at 12:08 AM..
Old 10-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #96
nel621
Board Member

Very good. Gold and bronze like TestPoint. Gold part could use a respray. Been inside over 10 years.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:35 AM   #97
M.H. Yount
Board Member

I bought dollies from Northern Tool to move mine around in the garage when I was doing the LS3 swap -- they worked incredibly well.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #98
nel621
Board Member

Small steps. Found the best of the Bertone trim pieces I have and cleaned them up a bit. Taped the black plastic and once again took the trim to the polisher. The intent here was to remove as much surface scratches as possible. Turned out very good. First I practice on a damage piece to see if I could make the "hard edge", the center raised portion of the trim, shine. No luck. On some of the trim this section is a little weathered. I'm still trying things on the scrap like sanding it with wet dry paper to get a smoother finish. This seems to be working but will take some time. For now I'll clean up the trim as best possible. I found a product that I had laying around that is a dye for plastic. Not sure where or when I bought it but it did do a very good job of getting the trim shinny and black. Funny thing when I finally really looked at the bottle it said it was for gray trim, but it worked for me. So I have trim on both doors, both fenders and the trunk. Also found one spare section of windshield trim and low and behold it had the small stainless section that I misplaced.

The plastic is there to keep the leaves out of the cowl.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #99
nel621
Board Member

Also has any found "cure" for " saw tooth trim"? You know what I'm talking about. The top portion of the trim is a very thin strip of plastic. After time this trim starts to chip, leaving a saw tooth look. Anyone ever try to replace this section? Or attempt a repair to this. I have some NLA trim that could use a little help.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #100
NONHOG
equal opportunity car guy

First, Dang! its looking good!
Second, ever find that little trim piece? I will be glad to search my Amazon stash.
Third (sawtooth), I noticed a little chunk missing from Nanci's car the other day. Ugh.
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote