• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

v8 conversions?

you will probably be the first one round these parts to do it. If it ain't got a turbo, these folks ain't interested

Never been done before.....if you accidently google "Volvo V8 conversion" with optional Ford or Chevy added in all of the 100 or so links that pop up are all fake, so are all the posts you'll find here if you search "chevy or ford conversion" :)

you will probably be the first one round these parts to do it. If it ain't got a turbo, these folks ain't interested

You're ASSuming. How the heck do you know im not going to put a turbo v8 on it? Well, I probably wont, but i could if i wanted to! I was actually kind of considering a roots blower. :)

If i can find somewhere to store one, i'll actually be able to have two bricks. Im buying a nice 93 245 and really dont want to sell my beat up 86 245...but have nowhere to put it. :p one'll stay b230f and get a +t and one will get a v8.

as far as transplants go ..

Not that hard, but none are all that easy.

I put a heavily modified 5.0 in a 960 with instructions and it was tough. You will need to reman a driveshaft, rewire and plumb the engine bay, perhaps deal with firewall issues.

My miscellaneous parts/ labor expense (on top of donor car and recipient car) came to about $5500.00.

I have enjoyed the car daily for 2 years. I highly recomend using an automatic.
ii'd attach pics -- but cant figger out how...

From what I've seen, Chevy, Ford and Mopar smallblock v8s will all fit in a 240 engine bay without any modification to the sheet metal. A ford 4.6L modular v8 will fit with some trimming. Ford 302s can easily be sourced with a T5 transmission which fits 240s perfectly, on top of that, 302s are lighter than Chevy and Mopar smallblocks, though they lack the power potential. Just google "volvo 240 v8 conversion", you'll find plenty of stuff.

anyone know whos car this might have been? i would love to meet the previous owner and see what all was done to this car for the swap

Last edited:
Conversions seem to be the norm these days but seriously I would luv to see someone swap a modern day hemi in one of these boxes. It would be interesting to see one since I've never seen or heard one around. g@tti

Not that hard, but none are all that easy.

I put a heavily modified 5.0 in a 960 with instructions and it was tough. You will need to reman a driveshaft, rewire and plumb the engine bay, perhaps deal with firewall issues.

My miscellaneous parts/ labor expense (on top of donor car and recipient car) came to about $5500.00.

I have enjoyed the car daily for 2 years. I highly recomend using an automatic.
ii'd attach pics -- but cant figger out how...

hey, i was jus wondering, why do you recommend an automatic?

Conversions seem to be the norm these days but seriously I would luv to see someone swap a modern day hemi in one of these boxes. It would be interesting to see one since I've never seen or heard one around. g@tti

I just spent 5 minutes watching the signature gif. Awesome.

How come nobody wants to put a S65 M3 engine into a 240? Should be some in wrecking yards already.. 3.9 litre V8 with ITB's and 400crank horsepower. Sounds like an easy day to me if you've got the money.. And you wanna make something "different" Cuz a small block swap sure as hell aint different anymore.

How come nobody wants to put a S65 M3 engine into a 240? Should be some in wrecking yards already.. 3.9 litre V8 with ITB's and 400crank horsepower. Sounds like an easy day to me if you've got the money.. And you wanna make something "different" Cuz a small block swap sure as hell aint different anymore.

people usually do the v8 swaps to have a reliable engine, more aftermarket parts, and cheap simple raw power.

Back