• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Alternator bracket bushing replacement

Not bad. Worst part was taking everything off the car.

Then putting it together after swapping a stinkin' bush in 1 minute>

Lots of psycho-pharmaceuticals and so good music makes it go better

Here's something as good today as it was back then
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H-kA3UtBj4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Disconnect battery so you don't short it out.
Jack up car and remove skidplate. This is optional, but I prefer to do this from the bottom.
Pull out alternator pivot bolt on the bottom.
Lift up alternator and hang it with a bungee or something.
Use channel-locks to remove old bushings and press in new ones. Be mindful of the orientation of the flanges.
Reassemble.

Less than 30min.

Disconnect battery so you don't short it out.
Jack up car and remove skidplate. This is optional, but I prefer to do this from the bottom.
Pull out alternator pivot bolt on the bottom.
Lift up alternator and hang it with a bungee or something.
Use channel-locks to remove old bushings and press in new ones. Be mindful of the orientation of the flanges.
Reassemble.

Less than 30min.

+30 minutes to clean all the grease and dirt from the bracket and the area around it.

What model car?

I access the alternator on my '82 244 Turbo from below, but the one on my 740 Turbo and my wife's 940 Turbo is accessed from above.

Need only jack up the 244.

There are 3 bushings. When replacing the one on the adjuster, you can remove the part holding the bushing completely. This makes it easy to put in a vise and push out, then push in the new one. This is the bushing that takes the biggest beating, so keep a more watchful eye on this one.

The bushings in the main bracket can be replaced with the bracket still attached. A socket of the right size and a C-clamp can be helpful in pushing them in. Grease them up as well.

Oh yeah. When replacing the bolt on the main bracket, the one with two bushings, use some loctite on the nut!

Back