• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2xx Junkyard efan choices? Post up your suggestions.

Mark

sex lights
Alright, I've been putting this off for awhile and I've already overheated once this year and came close the other day again. Ima hit the junkyard tomorrow and see what I can find.

Despite the fact that I don't have a stock volvo rad (it's out of a '80s Corvette I think) I thought I'd ask for opinions on what efans you've tried and what's worked best for you.

Thanks all!

M.

if your already at a JY
there's going to be 10+ volvos.
grab one that measures out
and see how it fits?

edit-anything with a v8 will work amazing.

My sister's 245 has a 940 fan...
bay1.jpg

and so is my 89 Daytona Shelby
intercooler7.jpg

I got mine from a suzuki (no idea what model). Anyway, the mounting bolts are 1mm off the stock shroud holes. However the fan may be a bit small. yet to test it.

Got mine from the J/Y.........off a early/mid 90's GM w/ a 3.8L V6. It works great............moves a sh*tload of air and fits without a mm to spare. They're all over the place in yards.........you should have no problem finding one and it cost me $30. Good luck.
P6280020.jpg

I'm runnin a 940 e-fan.

Make sure you wire it up correctly! I melted 3 switches before I smartened up and added a relay...

I used a 16" GM fan from an 89 park avenue for 8 years or so. Its the larger version of the fan Dave Barton's page is about, and I think its the same fan 240Shildy posted. I really liked it overall, very reliable and moved a ton of air. It was nearly exactly the same size as the stock radiator and easy to mount with a couple angles on the bottom and a couple bolts on top.
I found a Volvo 940/960 fan in the junkyard a few years ago and just recently installed it instead. I'm much happier with it. It is quieter, looks more factory (those big braces on the GM fan were pretty ugly), and I think it pulls more air. I wouldn't go back now that I've tired it. I used the relay and wiring from the 940/960, though I wired low speed to my old saab lower-radiator hose switch, and the high-speed to the switch in the radiator as additional overheating protection.

I don't remember your radiator, how much different is it than the Volvo one? If a 940/960 fan fits then I'd got that route for simplicity. As I recall you have tons of room between the engine and the radiator, so you should be able to fit just about anything if you want to fabricate a shroud or graft two shrouds together. Me I'm lazy, I'd measure your radiator and hit the junkyard looking for fans with a shroud the same dimension.

recalled S80 efan...ripped the PWM controller off and now use MS to control it....just had to trim it down on the sides

Got mine from the J/Y.........off a early/mid 90's GM w/ a 3.8L V6. It works great............moves a sh*tload of air and fits without a mm to spare. They're all over the place in yards.........you should have no problem finding one and it cost me $30. Good luck

Same as mine as well. Fused and relayed.

I got mine from a Ford Taurus. Had to cut the shroud a bit to fit but it works just fine. Plus there are tons of them if mine ever dies.

That's what I have. If you get a Taurus one make sure you get the 2 speed one. The easiest way to tell is to look at the wiring and it should have 3 wires, 2 for power and 1 for ground. One of the power wires is for high speed and the other is for low speed.

My former roommate, who was into off-roading, got one of these for his trail truck and that's what prompted me to go get one. These things flow massive amounts of air and are readily available in any junkyard.

Here's a link he gave me from when he was installing his http://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140510

From the above link:
Now this fan is a puller estimated around 2000cfm(not clear). Most claim low setting is more than sufficient

you can hack anything to fit provided the fan diameter isnt greater than the radiator height (unlikely).

for sound reasons, look for something with sweeping blades.

for low and high speed reasons, look for something with 3 equal-gauge wires coming off the motors.

if there are thin and thick wires, its probably PWM controlled and useless.

grab the relay.

you can grab a in-hose temp switch from an old saab.

i have one from an 850 with all the relays and such...

i hear its great but i have no idea how to hook it up :-P

Ford P#8C607 fan. It comes in the 90 to 95 Ford Taurus and Lincoln Mark VIII with the 3.8 litre engine. used it on my 5.0 , have to use a heavy duty starter solenoid because it pulls alot of power when it first starts...

and its a multi speed fan

Back