• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Altering stock panhard rod to make it adjustable. Questions.

suterman

Looking at the stock 240 panhard rod next to the IPD one it looks simple enough to convert it to be adjustable using a large bolt and a couple of nuts.

(The IPD rod on the website looks quite poor in comparison to a stock one)

How much shorter is a panhard rod when fitted along with -40mm springs and billy HD?

Would it be more sensible just to shorten it permanently to suit the setup if I know how much to take out.

Is there any difference in a saloon and estate panhard rod?

The car in question is a 1990 245 with -40mm springs and billy HD

I believe the wagon and sedans use the same bar.

What would also be of interest would be the amount that is needed to shorten the bar by if one wants to use the lowering springs and doesn't want to go to the trouble of making it adjustable

I had thoughts of making my own for the 745T, I figure buy a spare from a wreckers, make a jig from a long bit of wood, then buy the right bolts, cut it and set up the lengths right using the jig, and finally find someone to weld the bits on.

There are a few people I know who would probally weld it for me for free, so toss in some poly bushes, rattle spray it black when I'm done, and it should suit my cheap ass nature well...

(The IPD rod on the website looks quite poor in comparison to a stock one)

Having installed one on my brother's wagon, I can tell you that's its waaaay stronger than it could conceivably need to be. Cheap too. There's really not enough meat in the stock bar to throw in a bolt connection and keep it strong.

Or just buy some heim joints and a rod for like $40 total, then make some spacers.

Otherwise known as tractor linkage spares.:rofl:

It would cost me less than $5 if I used a bolt and nuts to adapt one, has anyone got the measurements of and IPD bar set for -40mm on a 240?

Having installed one on my brother's wagon, I can tell you that's its waaaay stronger than it could conceivably need to be. Cheap too. There's really not enough meat in the stock bar to throw in a bolt connection and keep it strong.

:-(

but its $100 not including shipping to the UK.

any chance you can give me the difference in length of the stock one and the IPD adjusted for -40mm? I just need a ballpark figure (say within 1/2")

I suppose if I make it adjustable so it shortens by up to 3" that will be enough then.....

There's really not enough meat in the stock bar to throw in a bolt connection and keep it strong.

Im afraid i can't quite agree with you on that statement, sir. I have modified the stock 200-series panhard bar and made it adjustable. I did not cut it at the ends like in the IPD version.

I cut it in the middle and made a bolt type of piece that has both left and right hand threads in it. I then welded a big nut there for easy adjustment.

The bolt-thingy is 24mm (or maybe it was 22mm) in diameter, and has worked well and been there since 2003.

nuoli1.jpg

nuoli2.jpg

And naturally you need the locking nuts there as well with correspongind threads.

EDIT: Oh yah, naturally i welded some left and right hand threaded nuts on the pieces of panhard bar as well, so that there is something in which the piece-thing-bolt-system can thread in to.

Last edited:
Im afraid i can't quite agree with you on that statement, sir. I have modified the stock 200-series panhard bar and made it adjustable. I did not cut it at the ends like in the IPD version.

I cut it in the middle and made a bolt type of piece that has both left and right hand threads in it. I then welded a big nut there for easy adjustment.

The bolt-thingy is 24mm (or maybe it was 22mm) in diameter, and has worked well and been there since 2003.

nuoli1.jpg

nuoli2.jpg

And naturally you need the locking nuts there as well with correspongind threads.

GET IN!

Right, wheres my hacksaw!

nuoli1.jpg

nuoli2.jpg

EDIT: Oh yah, naturally i welded some left and right hand threaded nuts on the pieces of panhard bar as well, so that there is something in which the piece-thing-bolt-system can thread in to.

Wagner, I think yours is by far the best design. The present IPD stuff would do well to change to such a setup as making changes to the lengths with their design is problematic at best. Unbolt the adjustable end, change lenght, re-attach? It turns out the whole "re-attach" part can be a real pain in the arse at times. :grrr:

Wagner, I think yours is by far the best design. The present IPD stuff would do well to change to such a setup as making changes to the lengths with their design is problematic at best. Unbolt the adjustable end, change lenght, re-attach? It turns out the whole "re-attach" part can be a real pain in the arse at times. :grrr:

Thanks, hardly my design though. But it does make adjusting it very easy and eliminates any quess work on determinating the correct lenght for the bar.

I guess it is a matter of manufacturing costs in the case of the IPD one, making just one end adjustable is a more simple design and thus cheaper to make.

Last edited:
I imagine biggest cost in making you own, like pictured, is buying that special two way bolt, I may drop into a local bolt supply shop myself and see what they have.

I like the IPD design. I have one that is the style like Wagner's on my Camaro, and it makes it feel flimsy. I think the best would be a RH and LH rod end on each side.

I like the IPD design. I have one that is the style like Wagner's on my Camaro, and it makes it feel flimsy. I think the best would be a RH and LH rod end on each side.

Good point about possible flimsy feeling. I'd imaging the size of the components used would make a difference there.

I was a fan of rod ends on both sides for some time, but it certainly would be nice to not have to fight with the car so much to make adjustments. I love the IPD torque and panhard rods/bars, but major PITA!

If you are satisfied with the car's current ride height, and don't plan on changing it much, I would just shorten/lengthen the bar the appropriate amount and weld it back together.

Unless you change your ride high drastically on a regular basis, you don't reall *need* and adjustable bar.

I would modify it to center the wheels at the lowest ride height you plan on running and call it good.

If you are satisfied with the car's current ride height, and don't plan on changing it much, I would just shorten/lengthen the bar the appropriate amount and weld it back together.

Unless you change your ride high drastically on a regular basis, you don't reall *need* and adjustable bar.

I would modify it to center the wheels at the lowest ride height you plan on running and call it good.

I just saw your avatar... Are you on Sixthsphere?
/Threadjack.

The IPD bar is the best compromise, IMO, as far as adjustment and sturdiness. I've got it in my 242 and had it on my 244. Adjusting it can be a pain. Realistically though, how often is a panhard rod something you have to change the length of? I remember setting it the one time 3 years ago and I haven't changed the length since. If you end up making one like the IPD bar, I think it would be the easiest/strongest/cheapest way to do it.

Back