home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
nel621
Board Member

Default Starting on my 79 262c

Although my 79 Bertone looked ok from 25 feet away it was in need of some attention. I decided to take the plunge and get started on this car. My intent is to keep it running, so no major parts will come off, like engine or drive train. Also I'm not looking to win Pebble Beach. I just want a really nice paint job that will last. All the rust areas I will leave to the pros. I 'm going to remove all the trim and wet sand all if not most of the car. I figure I'd do most of the grunt work. I also hope to have this done before the end of the summer. So I removed most of the exterior trim. Bumpers will come of later. I started on the passenger side today with the wet sanding. The vinyl top will come off last with glass. Note as I sanded the car turned purple! I can't decide whether wet sand to primer or just chemical remove ALL of the paint. Also for you guys with coupes, the trim molding above thew door ( shadow moulding) is held by 2 clips on this car. IIRC I thought the 80 and 81 cars did not have the riveted clips and Volvo used doubled side tape for this. Someone please confirm so that I can remove this source of potential rust.Also the long vertical black strip trim on the doors, it doesn't want to move. I drilled out the rivet and tried to tap it back off but no luck. Any tricks here? Hopefully the pics work.
http://s253.photobucket.com/user/nel...20rust%20areas
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
nel621
Board Member

Please note the rusty floor has been replaced with a new panel.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
nel621
Board Member

So does this black piece just get 'tapped" off? I need to remove it to get to the bubbles underneath.
 photo blacktrim_zpsa4ca652c.jpg
Also these are the 2 clips I need to know if they were on the later coupes, 80 and 81 The hold the shadow trim..
 photo cliptoholdtrim_zps4ccfbf33.jpg
 photo anotherclip2rivets_zpsba7c00e0.jpg
Old 07-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
nel621
Board Member

Finally got around to taking the top off. No surprises rust in the usual places. Rear side windows out, front and rear windshield will come out at a later date. Next step will be either paint remover or paint thinner to remove the glue. One good thing about a 7 day heat wave is that it made removing the chrome trim around the front and back windows came out very easy.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Good start!
Mylesofsmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
nel621
Board Member

Slow and steady. The body shop said they would remove the vinyl top but I knew they would just cut it up and peal it off. I carefully removed it in one piece. Its' condition was a strong 8.5- 9.0. I figure it will make for a good template for a new one, especially to follow the seam pattern and then maybe someone will be interested in buying it. I also wonder why Volvo made such large holes for the plugs that hold the crown emblems. They couldn't come up with a smaller plug?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Old Iron
I Roll

Nice, hadn't seen that you had a build thread. Excited to see this start!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
TestPoint
Board Member

Good start! I missed the early editions but have signed on now.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
nel621
Board Member

This build may take a while as I'm trying to do as much prep as possible. I knew this car had a few issues but the more I get into it the more I find. So much for a low milage car (47k). My 81 coupe with 99k is in better shape. Here are some pics I've bee taking.
http://s253.photobucket.com/user/nel...20rust%20areas
Old 07-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
TestPoint
Board Member

I'm into about the third week of paint prep on the V8 245 at the moment and did not find very much rust at all. Maybe a square inch scattered over half a dozen places around the car. Boy, is there a lot of surface area on a wagon! Biggest issue I have had is filling the holes in the roof for the rack plus the damage the rack itself did to the paint vibrating against the car.

Windshield and rear glass out today and then starting tape. That stuff doesn't age well, even the pro painter green/orange/blue stuff, so it has got to get to the paint shop quickly.

That rust free '81 Bertone here in Georgia might be quicker and it only has 28k miles.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #11
nel621
Board Member

Small steps. The weather is getting better so time to get busy.Just a little filler on the door for low spots and some 2K primer on the door and fender. The other fender is done and maybe tomorrow I can work on the driver door. Leaving the rust problems for the end. Question. I have the backs of fenders painted with POR15. Would you also use the 3M undercoating too?

Old 07-25-2016, 06:42 PM   #12
nel621
Board Member

Time for an update. Got a little work done on Sunday, had to get some help to make it go faster. Took care of some rust issues. The only rust left is a small section on each butt cheek and the long panel under the taillights that holds the rubber trim. I think I'l go to the metal shop near by and have them cut me a piece of metal 48 x 1 and have them bend it so it has a 1/8 in. lip to match the original.
So went from this

To this, ain 't pretty but ain't rusty either

Then this got done

to this

More cowl work

The other A pillar needed some attention too

Next will be the butt cheeks and finally the taillight section, maybe next week?

This section I will try for one long panel
Old 06-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #13
nel621
Board Member

As promised here is an update on the 79 Coupe. I can't believe it's been 5 years. Time waits for no one. I've enlisted the help of a friend to help me get this thing over the finish line. I wasn't going to take the front cowl and headlight supports out because I want to just get this car done. Then I thought I would not be happy if I left the parts in place and didn't address them correctly. So the upper and lower radiator supports came out. Paint remover took care of the old paint. I had a quart of POR 15 laying around so the back parts got the POR treatment while the tops got a two coats of etching primer. The headlight supports were sanded down front and back and primed. They did not get POR because the backs of the supports are seen from the engine side, so they will get the same color paint as the rest of the car.
I needed to rest the fenders on something so I took some scrap wood and made a couple of fender stands. Works for me. The rear right 1/4 panel needed a small patch panel. This I made from a scrap fender I have laying around. Made a nice patch panel but my welding skills suck. The front section welded just fine but I burned through in back half. I will cut it out and start over.
Today my friend showed up with his paint gun and we got more stuff done. We finished the body repair around the front window. The doors came off, again, and the metal was cleaned and prepped for primer. Any surface rust or hints of rust were treated. The weather was threatening rain most of the afternoon but we got lucky and only a some sprinkles. The roof, 1/4 panels, hood, door jams and one fender were primed. Starting to look like car again. A few more weekends and maybe it will all be done. Fingers crossed. Now for the visual.
Well no pics. Photosuckit is not cooperating. Going try something else.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #14
nel621
Board Member

Old 06-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #15
nel621
Board Member

Old 06-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #16
nel621
Board Member

Old 06-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #17
nel621
Board Member

I have more pics on my phone but I'm having a hard time loading them onto my computer. Not too savvy. More pics tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #18
nel621
Board Member

Old 06-10-2018, 09:37 PM   #19
nel621
Board Member

Got some paint on the 1/4 panel. New patch will follow soon.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:49 AM   #20
NONHOG
equal opportunity car guy

Looking good! Love progress pictures!
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:58 AM   #21
nel621
Board Member

Thanks. I just like ANY progress.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #22
nel621
Board Member

Moving very fast. We may be painting this Sunday, . Any suggestions on paint brand? Not looking for the most expensive but something in the really good category. I know better paints have more solids, hence better coverage with less material. So no watered down paints. Also need a clear coat. The car will be painted the original 1979 color, silver, need to check the paint code. The 4 small sections I removed will be painted before the weekend.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #23
TestPoint
Board Member

We only have one auto paint store within 50 miles and it is PPG so I guess that is what I put on the cars. Painter buys clear by the big bucket so I do not have any info on that but still happy after several years.

Here are the paint codes for the silver '82 which I suspect is the same for your '79.

My painter put a LOT of clear coat on because he knew that I was going to cut with 1500/3000 and polish.

For future reference, here is the '81 gold paint label:

I ended up using almost a gallon of the metallic silver and metallic gold and probably more than a gallon each of the clear coat. My painter charged me less than $400 each for the materials which he supplied at his cost. I don't know if that is a good deal or not but the bottom line price was $700 for the silver wagon and $950 for the two tone Bertone. That is drive out, PITI, shop materials, tag fees and anything else you can think of. Cash of course. By the end of the Bertone I had gotten very tired of all the prep work and the difference is certainly the result.

I was embarrassed by the wagon price and slipped the guy who sprayed the car a $50 with his promise that he would not tell anyone what a cheap deal I got.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #24
nel621
Board Member

Thanks for the info. I'll be at the paint shop in am. There are actually 2 paint supplies places near by. One is Kemperle Auto Body supplies and the other I think is a Sherwin Williams location. Kemperle is where most of the painters shop. I didn't realize they have location down the east coast, I think all the way to Fl. Looks like I'll be needing a gallon of paint and at the very least a gallon of clear and maybe a little more. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #25
nel621
Board Member

Pics tomorrow. First, everything was going good until it wasn't. Got some color on the fenders, hood, door jams on door and jams on car. Then something got on the hood and left a few spots, maybe from the tree. Thought we had that under control. Took a bit of sanding and priming before we got to go away. Also maybe a small bug or two that we were able to get out with a small piece of tape. Wet sanded and shot more paint. The Volvo Mystic Silver is not very forgiving. A small section on the cowl, about the size of a quarter, that was repaired, sanded, blocked, primed, sanded, leveled, etc., still looks like something is not right. No high or low spots but something is up in the reflection. Not sure what to do without taking it down to metal again. Not going to happen. Then as the clear went on the breeze kicked up. Got a little dust here and there but the painter thinks it will all come out with wet sanding. Then we notice, after the clear, that we missed 2 very small dings on the fender just above where the trim goes. Not happy. May try a paintless dent tool to push it out. If not it stays. Not sure what happened. I was sanding, blocking and using a guide coat. He too went over again. Maybe the heat got to us, I think it reached 95 degrees . But making progress. Not sure you can get 100% perfection working outside.