home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-05-2021, 05:26 AM   #151
Scaramanga
Board Member

Great work with the seats! I have to fix my leather seats that suffers from ganster lean
Old 02-12-2021, 06:35 PM   #152
volvowagoon
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
Great work with the seats! I have to fix my leather seats that suffers from ganster lean
Thank you! It was a lot easier than I thought.

I think I experienced the worst snow we've ever seen in my area since I moved here. Both major arteries to/from my town were closed down, but I dodged the mess before I could could even sit in traffic for one minute. Taking the long way home, I found that this abandoned property was an amazing view. (or lack thereof!) I'm not a photographer by any means, but I'm still glad I stopped.

My two favorites!

Made it home!

And hit 225k this morning. It's crazy to think how much I've done to this turd in under 20k.

1986 Buick Grand National - Restoring to stock™
2002 Camaro V6 T5 +T - The trashy car that's fun to drive
2010 C30 T5 - The boring but trusty daily
1989 245 DL - The boring but not trusty daily
IG: @v6buick
volvowagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:22 AM   #153
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Gorgeous. I love these wagons in snow. Especially stock/stockish ones.
If your heater core is anything like mine, it makes cold weather driving so comfortable.

Keep it up, thanks for the awesome pics, one of my favorite threads by far
'93 Land Cruiser - "Ruby"
'01 Cherokee - "Janice"
IansPlatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #154
volvowagoon
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
Gorgeous. I love these wagons in snow. Especially stock/stockish ones.
If your heater core is anything like mine, it makes cold weather driving so comfortable.

Keep it up, thanks for the awesome pics, one of my favorite threads by far
Thanks! They're so capable in the snow with their length, rear drive, and skinny tires. Sadly, I can't say that this heater does amazing work. I might be spoiled and too used to newer cars, but I think the ball valve style valve is the problem. Mine is on or off with very little adjustment in the middle unless I turn the AC on. With my over cooling problems, I don't get warm until I'm about 15 minutes into my drive either. That's after warming the car up too. I wish I knew what was going on there. My only idea is set up some cardboard between the grill and radiator.

I don't mean to rant. I do appreciate the kind words. That one issue is just driving me nuts since the MPGs went down to about 19-21.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:52 PM   #155
volvowagoon
Board Member

I can't fix issues without creating new ones. lol This time I blame myself 100%. I was in a rush and made a newbie mistake.

The power steering has never really worked as well it's supposed to, but recently the pump started actually grinding noises and eventually gave up. Now that I'm at a solid stopping point on the Camaro with good weather I figured Id replace the pump. I apologize for not taking a lot of pictures, but I really needed to ensure that this car would be ready for work in the morning.

Before I started wrenching, I did a little inspection since I hadn't even driven the car in about a month. The fluid was very low. I wonder where it went. I flushed the system less than a year ago. Oh well. Topping off the reservoir and working the air out didn't fix it either, so in I go!

I bought the cheap GM pulley puller tool at Advance. The price reflects its quality because it doesn't work worth a crap unless you get crafty.

Forget the provided collar. It won't help you. A hose clamp tightened down close to the pulley was what gave me success.

Everything would have went fine if I didn't get antsy and use the vise to hold the pump while I installed the brackets and fitting. After removing the pulley, finding the high point, heating it up, and pounding away, I got it in a much more manageable shape. I still need a new pulley though. If anybody has a spare power steering pulley, please PM me. I'll be posting in the wanted section.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:49 AM   #156
volvowagoon
Board Member

I drove the car to work this morning. It turns like butter now. The only time it doesn't work well is when the car isn't moving. You can feel the wheel getting tighter then looser. I guess the car needs a rack too which would probably explain why the pump I removed didn't look that old. I'm nervous to do this, because I've heard a lot of ugly stories when it comes to remanufactured racks. I guess I'll just have to do my research.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:15 AM   #157
volvowagoon
Board Member

I think maintaining a daily-driven rust belt 240 in 2021 is like building a house of cards at this point. I finally got around to replacing the power steering pulley on Saturday. The results were even better than expected. I must have had some belt slip or something because the steering improved again. I only experience hard turning if I'm sitting still and jerking the wheel which is never a necessary maneuver. I'll hold off on the rack. I have more important things to worry about.

The mid-pipe has rusted out pretty badly.

What you can't see are the multiple holes which are pretty loud and throwing off the O2 sensor. I talked a lot of smack about the IPD stainless piece, and my stance remains the same even after receiving this puppy in the mail.

Just look at those bends and that abrupt merge! It may be crude and ugly, but so is the IPD thing. This one also cost under $100, so I'll call it a win. If I were worried about making it show quality or squeezing out every bit of HP, I'd for spring for one with mandrel bends. A coat of high temp paint will make this one good enough for me!

Much better.

I wouldn't have made the "house of cards" comment if I wasn't about to get a kick in the nuts though. When I went under the car to spray the manifold and catalytic converter bolts, I made a very unsightly discovery. Most 240s mark their territory with oil. Ours does this instead.

...JERK

The previous owner's floor patch did not hold up whatsoever which seems to be a revolving theme with Moose. He seems to reject new metal because my wheel arch repair from a year and a half ago isn't looking so hot either.

Frankly, this hurts. Both my fiancé and I are pretty upset about this and unsure of what to do next. What we know for sure is that I'm not cut out for keeping this car in daily service. Since the nicer weather has just began, I'm going to leave this be for a while. I'm hoping to get the Camaro done soon so that I can use it daily while Allie drives the C30. Maybe then I can fix this in the driveway? I'm not sure, but I'm very much cursing the 1/2" of undercoating that's blocking my view of what actually needs to be cut out. Let's hope the issue is fairly isolated.

For the record, I don't necessarily blame the previous owner for a hack floor repair. I do blame them for not replacing the brake octopus though. The brake fluid had been leaking for a long time and essentially dissolved the undercoating. The good news is that it will come off easily. The bad news is that it's been holding in corrosive fluid for who knows how long. I should have scraped it off a long time ago, but I didn't. Now I have a lot more work to do.

I am very discouraged, but neither Allie nor I are ready to give up on this car. We love it, and we'll get another daily driver if that's what it takes to keep road tripping Moose for the long term.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #158
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Get a better shell for summer months and a subaru for winters to dissolve back into the soil?

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #159
volvowagoon
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Get a better shell for summer months and a subaru for winters to dissolve back into the soil?
I cannot increase the size of the fleet. I'm already storing my Buick at her grandpa's place in the winter, and both dailies sit in the driveway. Whenever the 240 is bumped out of daily service, it's either getting sold, or replacing the Buick. We aren't a fan of either idea, but something has to go.

I do have a short term idea though. My grandpa is practically giving me his loaded up Oldsmobile so that I can sell it. I think a refurbished digital climate controller and good scrubbing would make it great driver. It only has 116k miles on it and no rust. Perhaps I could drive that for a while while I patch the floor in the 240? Then I can sell the Olds at the end of the summer. I didn't really want to retitle and register it, but I should still be making money on the deal.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:38 AM   #160
Scaramanga
Board Member

Sell the Olds and pay someone to weld your floor
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #161
volvowagoon
Board Member

I made a massive mess out of the Camaro while waiting for parts. Instead of being patient like a normal person, I decided to turn to the rustiest car in the fleet and start taking it apart too. I'm special, but I'm also tired of this thing being noisy and running poorly.

Lucky for me, the manifold side came apart nice and easily. The catalytic converter pipe also slid out of the muffler without a fuss.

The muffler side is acting in a traditional midwest sort of way though. The mid-pipe was only a year or two away from falling right off. I'm shocked that this wasn't incredibly noisy, but the clamp was blocking the massive crack. Maybe this was the buzzing under acceleration noise I've been hunting down forever?

Anyway, separating the catalytic converter from the down-pipe was not simple either. Those bolt heads had rusted down a few mm

Still not pretty but it will work!

Back to the new down-pipe. The Walker unit comes with an air injection plug but it's so long that it nearly touches the other side of the pipe. I just cut it down.

...and installed tight with copper antiseize. I don't really know why I did that instead of just welding it on, but I guess I can install air injection if I ever wanted to for some dumb reason.

Walker also welds in an o2 bung for the degenerates who are removing catalytic converters. I plugged this as well, but I'll want to keep it serviceable in case a future exhaust requires a new bung. Don't mind my buddy's vandalism.

The plan for whenever I decide it's late enough in the day to be grinding metal is to weld an adapter on to the muffler, install a new clamp, and bolt the rest back up! Should be simple. I guess we'll see!
Old 04-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #162
volvowagoon
Board Member

I honestly can't believe I'm done already.

It fits! Not only that, but my connection to the cat is leak free. To top it all off, I was right about everything! That buzz under acceleration is gone, and the engine goes up to operating temp again. I'm super excited about all that, but I'll admit that the job wasn't perfect. moving the back section of the exhaust around so much resulted in a leak between the two mufflers where the clamp rusted out. No big deal. The car is still much quieter than before, and the most pressing non-floor related issues are solved!
Old 04-03-2021, 06:01 PM   #163
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Great job. I'm gonna have the same battle as you on the floor of the 145. Except yours will probably come out much nicer.

Keep it up, I love this car.
IansPlatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:50 PM   #164
volvowagoon
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
Great job. I'm gonna have the same battle as you on the floor of the 145. Except yours will probably come out much nicer.

Keep it up, I love this car.
Thanks man. We'll see. I'll for sure keep at it, but it's also deteriorating faster than I can fix it.

By the way, that comment I made about not blaming the previous for a shoddy repair? I'm retracting it. It's hard to tell exactly whats going on but it appears that this patch was attached with RTV. It's no longer any wonder why the patch rusted out and nothing else.

Right now the plan is to turn the Oldsmobile around pretty quickly. I want to clean it really well, get the blower motor working, and flip it. That money is going to go directly toward a new daily for the fiance, because this car can't handle salt anymore.