home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #26
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsBreakerG4 View Post
Sick dude. Reminds me of my car (though i have suspension but no engine mods, yet ).

You should get a snow scoop, I bet it'd look baller on your car.

Keep up the good work!
Was wondering when you'd chime in

/Thread Jack.

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'11 XC90 V8 - Torque Monster
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #27
nextproject
Board Member

yeah i've considered getting the whole se kit, but now that i think about it the skirts would probably scrape alot, annoyingly so. I'll probably get the rear skirt and the snow scoop if one pops up for the right price. thanks for the compliments.
nextproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #28
nextproject
Board Member

okay i've changed my mind on the high spoiler, maybe if a lip pops up REAL cheap i'll jump on it, but no more image-related stuff for now.

3" v-band flanged test pipe and additional o2 bung were fabbed/installed a couple days ago, browntops were paid for last night, awaiting delivery, also awaiting delivery on a new tight-radius (basically 90 degree) silicone coupler for the TB, and a set of Aurora 8.5mm plug wires (the ones on there now arent burned up, but they DO say "volvo" and "bougicord" on them, so im thinking that it may be wise to just toss them in the "spares" pile. Also installed my 3rd brake light (finally) and washed the car! Considering trimming the rear fenders and cutting another 1/4 coil off the rear so the tops of the rear tires just barely sit in the fenders, thus reducing SOME of the rake it has.

Wideband will be ordered after the next paycheck, unfortunately i also must be spending 550 on a paintjob for my corrado's hood, which i found out yesterday the bodyshop hadnt even started on after 4 months of having it. YIKES. Last time i use them!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #29
nextproject
Board Member

Default New pics.

These pics are from before the latest goings on under the hood (not good, but i'll explain in a minute).

Okay so the turbo is coming off again for some work. So 2 things popped into my head. 90+ manifold. And atp ultimate wastegate housing. They (the folks at atp) said that i wouldnt have to change my wastegate setup. Im pondering if its worth the trouble of fabbing an oil return. Probably.

Got the money together for the wideband i want to get, going to wait a few more days, get another paycheck in the bank and order my LM1. Also have the browntops sitting on my toolbox at work. They look really nice and shiny, even though they arent new. Also ordered a TRE 255 fuel pump and im going to eliminate the undercar pump altogether and install this in the tank, the "direct battery relayed" wiring for the pump(s) is already there.

So thats where im at now. Once all these parts are installed, along with everything already on there, im going to hope for 200whp, and i'll embarass myself at a local dyno just to see, i havent been to a dyno since i owned my civic si 5 years ago.

I'll take more pics of the parts when they come in the mail. Tho keep in mind the manifold and wastegate housing mods are still pending approval from my bank as im trying to pay off a credit card at the same time. eventually.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #30
ZwerverRoodbaard
Board Member

OMG that's the perfect 744 Turbo :O

1992 Volvo 960 - B204FT, M46, tropical green 412-22, all black leather interior
1997 Volvo 940 Holiday - B230FK, 16T, Koni, BlaBla chips, LPG-G3 - daily
Flickr account
ZwerverRoodbaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #31
nextproject
Board Member

i've decided to either have the local "cheap" paint shop do a semi-gloss black repaint with bodywork (i just saw an 88 supra they painted. i have to say as long as its not metallic paint it looks pretty good, it was a standard red paint. single stage i would assume). or i have been reading about the 50 dollar DIY paint jobs. such as the roller method with the roll on system or borrowing a paint gun and hopefully some lucky person's garage! but either way, satin black with the se rear lip.

thanks for the praise.

i have purchased my 90+ manifold, i gotta find someone to port it/grind it. Might do it myself, i've been meaning to get a dremel of sorts, i have air tools, so maybe just the proper bit would work.

I am still waiting on the time to pull the stuff off the car at the shop. We were kinda busy today. Kid dropped the supra off to install aem uego setup and aem boost controller. thats the car that was painted. anyway though theres lots of stuff in the works. at least to me its alot. seeing as how i thought i was going to get to enjoy the car a little before she had to get parked in the shop for a few more weeks to a month.

I guess thats how it goes though, hell my corrado has been in a barn/shop/warehouse for the last 9 months. I see her every other week i guess.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #32
nextproject
Board Member

Well pics will come soon for this once the parts start arriving. And i'll lay them all out and show you all. But I found out what my incessant smoking issue was, cylinder number 1 had super excessive taper at the top near the ring ridge, resulting in 40% leakdown on that cylinder when at ~TDC. I sourced a 99k-mile '94 B230FT from LKQ for a grand, shipped from Iowa or somewhere in that vicinity.

Also going on are the cleaned/freshened (again) T3 55 trim from tryingbe, a matched 90+ mani, browntops, LC1 wbo2, a couple of autometer cobalt gauges (boost/ECT), ipd's pillar pod, converting to TRE 255 in-tank and bypassing the main pump, ATPs ultimate internal wastegate, modifying the downpipe for the 3" v-band at the turbo.

Some parts are already installed such as the pump, i'll take a pic of the "assembly" ive come up with to connect the line to the check valve i took off the main pump. Its just a piece of 1/2" steel pipe welded to a nut with 10x1.0 threads, but it'll get the job done without a bunch of fittings strung together.

I confirmed the wideband powering up the other day, all the wiring is done for that. The old engine is out, theres a small pile of brackets and the oil pan going to the powdercoater monday, engine arrives sometime this week. Manifold needs to be portmatched.

ECT gauge was ordered today, that should be here this week and i can do the final install and wiring for the pillar assembly.

Also ordered a crap load of gaskets from FCP, going to get the oil pan and water pump gaskets from the dealer tomorrow.

Once the engine gets here i'll tear it down and reseal it all, install my IPD turbo cam and readjust the valves. I'd like to drop it all in as an assembly, instead of piece by piece. Havent decided on a color for the oil pan, might just make it the same blue as the valve cover and charge pipes.

Should be good for 200whp i'd say after i figure out a safe boost limit for the turbo via the lc1.

Like i said i'll take pics of the parts piles once its all laying out in front of me.

I also considered pulling the head and adding an mls gasket with arp studs and a "freshening" of the head, but i'd rather save those funds for when i can swap to 2.4 or ms and add a 531 head to the mix. Thats just not possible right now as the replacement of the engine was completely unexpected.

Several things will be coming up for sale soon. Although the engine itself i pulled out will have to be used as a core.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #33
nextproject
Board Member

well the bores and pistons were shot so instead of taking a gamble on just getting another squirter bottom end i've resolved to have the stock block sleeved and i am ordering some mahle standard bore pistons/rings.

got the fuel system done today, she holds pressure and my browntops arent leaking, so thats good, i am now running the TRE 255 intank with 1/2" f.i. hose to the filter.

also got the LC1 hooked up, calibrated to ambient air, and working (as far as i can tell without sticking it in a running exhaust), as well as installed/wired my autometer cobalt boost/vac and coolant temp gauge (i opted for the full sweep electric gauge) and the IPD triple pillar.

a bunch of gaskets arrived today and the machine shop is going to start cleaning the block in prep for the sleeving. ordering the mahle's later on tonight.

machine shop said they'd charge 250-300 to port/polish the head, so i've got to mull that over. i dont know if its even necessary for my low power goals of ~225whp. Im basically shooting for as much power as i can get before having to upgrade past the browntops and the M46 transmission and the stock LH2.2 management.

weighing the options currently.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #34
nextproject
Board Member

theres the down and dirty part we made to take the place of the main pump under the car, given that its no longer necessary with a 255 in the tank. both pumps are for sale in the classifieds.

finally got myself a wideband! now i just need a running engine to stuff in there!

theres my worn out b230ft that had 40% leakdown on at least ONE cylinder. dont mind the 356 in the background, it supposed to be picked up any day now.

couple autometer gauges going into the car, the coolant temp gauge in the cluster only works intermittently, and i decided it was better than a volt gauge.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #35
nextproject
Board Member

well i ordered my headbolts, went with victor reinz as they are only 54/set and the dealer wanted 16 bucks a pop.

apparently according to FCP their mahle pistons are on nationwide backorder, and they will be for the forseeable future, so dealer pistons it is. 98/each with rings and wrist pins.

customer also wrecked his supra over the weekend so i may end up with a 7mgte in my posession soon with its accompanying 5 speed transmission and all necessary wiring and computers. i know its not a 1/2jz but who knows, maybe i'll enjoy my b230 for a bit more and swap over to that. 300whp reliably with plenty of headroom for more?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #36
Greenhornet95
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextproject View Post
well i ordered my headbolts, went with victor reinz as they are only 54/set and the dealer wanted 16 bucks a pop.

apparently according to FCP their mahle pistons are on nationwide backorder, and they will be for the forseeable future, so dealer pistons it is. 98/each with rings and wrist pins.

customer also wrecked his supra over the weekend so i may end up with a 7mgte in my posession soon with its accompanying 5 speed transmission and all necessary wiring and computers. i know its not a 1/2jz but who knows, maybe i'll enjoy my b230 for a bit more and swap over to that. 300whp reliably with plenty of headroom for more?
7m's with minimal work are still good for some power. Of course, not "supra" 900RWHP style power but damn, they make 220chp at like 4psi

It really sux about the motor man. Kinda makes me werey about buying from the place I got it from...and all they sell is Volvo/Saab/Land Rover. My dad just bought a motor from them for a Land Rover, I might have to tell him to watch out on that. They were a bit eager to sell me that motor...even delivered it for free.

-Carlo
Old 03-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #37
nextproject
Board Member

yeah like i said, im not going to swap it in.

at least not in the immediate future. i am going to continue to rebuild my squirter with OEM pistons and bearings. the 7m may or may not happen, the kid (he's pretty young) is getting another shell with a blown headgasket 7mgte engine in it and we are pulling all the 1jz stuff out of the wrecked car and dropping it in the shell. maybe. he has yet to even purchase said "shell".

7m's are notorious for popping gaskets/stretching bolts at anything above stock from what i've read. so the would have had to come off anyway.

if the kid does do this, i'll be getting the entire swap for FREE. thats everything. engine. transmission. wiring. sensors. ecu. turbo. all of it. if that happens i think i'll have to sell the corrado and go balls deep into a 350whp 7m volvo build. and sell the freshly rebuilt b230ft.

i love working here. i just got done working on a showroom fresh z32 in that green/yellow color. cant beat gettin 25 bucks an hour to mess with stuff like this and still have plenty of time to work on my own stuff.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #38
nextproject
Board Member

well small update, turns out that FCP's stash of mahle's is depleted and on backorder. Volvo is calling me back on how long THEIR backorder is for pistons.

I called RSI and they are going to call me back on how long it would be before i could get a set of their waveguided pistons. I guess i got plenty of time to drop the head off for some light porting/polishing. Going to drop the head off today. I'd really like to install RSI's pistons but with my power goals for this engine is complete overkill. Sometimes overkill can be a good thing though, right?

scratch that, volvo just called and they are shipping the stockers from volvo in sweden. should be here next week sometime. then i can finally move forward.

on another note i pulled the engine wiring harness out and de-loomed it so i could inspect all the connectors and wiring. other than some corrosion on the terminals which i cleaned off (mainly at the injector resistor box connection) it all looks really good, and it should as there was a volvo part number tag at the connector on the passenger side, so its been replaced at some point, which explains why its so clean. I have been wanting to inspect it since reading about volvo's crappy wiring harness.

Last edited by nextproject; 03-24-2010 at 01:14 PM..
Old 03-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #39
nextproject
Board Member

i've also decided to add the grooves to the cylinder head as described in the "groove theory" thread. free modification that seems to yield nothing but positive results. i have concluded that this will help the fact that i'm not using ET pistons and not altering my squish any.

Once i get the car back together i've gotta hook up a multimeter to my AMM wires and see how close i am to maxing out my AMM, a zener diode may be necessary, there has been a problem since i got the car regarding a complete "cutting out" when WOT'ing through 2nd gear and shifting into third the car will reach halfway through the gear then cut out if WOT'ing. Im interested to see what voltage the AMM is reading while this is happening. Cant wait to get the car back together! Pistons should be here this week and then the machine shop can finally start the work. They should already be cleaning up and doing some light port work on the head, they are also match-porting the intake and 90+ exhaust manifold (i was going to do it myself but the bits are quite pricey from snapon, i plan on porting the turbine housing myself and the oil passages per stealthfti's website, though).

Once the funds are in my account i'll be ordering ATP's ultimate wastegate, seems they have dropped from 200 to 168 apiece, i've also gotta order a SECOND one for my corrado's t3 super 60 since i cant seem to find the proper exhaust flange for the wastegate housing.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #40
nextproject
Board Member

well our customer dropped off his 1jz supra and the 7m supra with supposedly 92k original miles is going to be here next week. i guess once we evaluate the overall condition of the 7m i'll make my decision as to whether or not i am going to swap it in.

on another note i've decided if im not going to swap the 7m i'll be converting to LH2.4 and getting some TLAO ecu/ezk chips. im going to break 200whp one way or the other in this thing. of course using the 7m engine, i'll be shooting for more like 275whp or so.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #41
nextproject
Board Member

I made an error on my part and the machine shop has already sleeved the engine block for my car, i told them to wait until next week when the supra got here that i may or may not be pulling a running 7mgte out of, they called me today and told me that the block has already been sleeved. My brand new B230FT pistons also arrived from sweden with rings and wrist pins/locks.

This isnt for sale, i have no idea what forum this belongs in, i dont think we are allowed to post "feelers" in the classifieds (are we? if so then by all means please move it there as a feeler).

Basically it's a fresh engine with standard bores and new volvo pistons/rings/pins, etc etc.

Anyone have a clue how much it i should ask for this? I can always send the pistons back to sweden and pay the restocking fee (pistons were 350, basically i dont think anyone on here would want them, but for everyones information YOU CANNOT GET THESE PISTONS WITHOUT WAITING. FCP's mahles are on backorder no matter what size you specifiy, volvo had to order these from sweden so there are none in stock anywhere)
Old 03-31-2010, 11:34 PM   #42
spruill244
Mahalos

use the b230ft
95' 850R-Sold
83' 244T-Sold
96' 850R- Sold
spruill244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #43
nextproject
Board Member

unfortunately the corrado is ready to pick up, so i've got to sell all things volvo related. using the b230ft is the most expensive option of all to me. i will probably install the 7m, getting it running well and sell the 740 and sell all of my volvo parts separately. its time to get back to work on my corrado.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #44
nextproject
Board Member

Well i've sold/found buyers for the bulk of my parts i wont need, i ordered a new clutch for the 7m last night and have decided to use the supra's stock intercooler for the time being as it will require less fab work with the piping as well. Once the parts come in i'll post some pics of the engine/transmission and will begin installation of the engine into the car. The entire volvo is filled with parts right now from the 7m, as well as a set of hydras i'll put a set of tires on and use as "winter wheels" lol. Not that winters in TN mean much of anything.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #45
nextproject
Board Member

some odds and ends to tie up before or during the installation of the engine into the volvo. im expecting, based on information received, that some cutting of the front crossmember and a shifter adapter will be required, not perceiving a large issue there, it'll be modified by the original builder of the exhaust to bolt up to that 3" turbo outlet.

once i either
a)save up enough cash and time or
b)blow the head gasket.

i'll take the engine back apart and do a mild rebuild with just some stock bearings and maybe a rering. but will plan on a metal headgasket and a coil conversion so i can hide that under some fancy aluminum plate. maybe a custom intake and going back to an isuzu npr IC. just want to get it running reliably at 8psi for now.

i replaced all the seals and had some parts pcoated and repaired/modified a couple of possible problem/worry areas. running, of course, the tre 255 intank pump with bypassed/deleted undercar pump.

if it doesnt sell quickly i'll just plan on doing all of that anyway, so that i can run at least 13psi.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #46
nextproject
Board Member

Well she's in there, albeit temporarily, mainly for mockup purposes of the engine mount brackets and transmission bracket and so i can see how much i've gotta trim out of the shifter opening in the transmission tunnel.

This is my first engine swap on my own car, and my first ever trans-manufacturer engine swap. Although im cutting corners by ditching the PS and AC, i can add it later on if i want to, but for simplicity's sake im keeping it "bare bones" for the time being.

Didnt have my camera at work so my boss emailed me pics off his cell phone. Shifter hole will need to be cut a few inches, and then the shifter itself will be cut and a rearward-extending adapter will be welded on to facilitate not slamming into the stereo every time i shift into 1st, 3rd or 5th gears.

Wiring is being figured out, doesnt seem like it'll be too hard, no cruise control, fuel system will function as it did before i pulled the b230 out, which was directly from the battery via a 30a relay and 12ga wires, using a TRE pump in the tank. I'll whip up a main efi relay to power several of the engine functions indicated in a wiring diagram, then wire up the alternator and starter, strange that the 7mgte computer actually the starter solenoid's signal wire coming out of it, i wont be using that. Gotta get an adapter for the fuel feed line and clutch line and hope that the 740's clutch master has enough force to work the 7mgte's clutch without exploding.

Im not running a mechanical fan, i've gone with a 2500cfm 16" fan and its controlled by this little guy

my dakota digital programmable fan controller. the stock tstat is 190ish, so im going to set the fan for 205 degrees trigger temperature, the 740's radiator is moved forward into the slot previously occupied by the npr intercooler, i'll be using the stock 7m's fmic for the time being until i venture past 10psi.

got a box full of 2" aluminum elbows and couplers for the intercooler piping and im going to get a fancy chinese catch can and a new turbo inlet hose as the one that came with the car was nasty and cracked.

currently working on the 7m's oil pan, as it had to be modified HEAVILY in order to clear the 740's crossmember without modifying that as well. the 7m has its sump in the middle of the engine and there arent any 7m oil pans that employ a rear sump, so that has to be made, luckily its steel, i've already made the cuts and carboard mockups so the oil pan should be done next week, and the mounts should be done by then as well.

btw the trans is mounted with the stock trans mount bracket, stock supra rubber trans mount, and cutting out the trans mount portion of the supra's trans mount bracket and cutting out the corresponding section of the 744's bracket and welding in the supra's. the engine mounts so far are made up of the stock 744's rubber (to be replaced with rsi's poly replacements at a later date) and 1/4" thick steel bolted to the 7m's mount brackets and triangulated to the engine block itself.

the 744's radiator is as tall as the 7m's, yet the length isnt as great, so hopefully the 744 radiator will cool the 7m. if not i can swap rad's, no biggie, the inlet and outlet are in the same location.

one of the heater hoses off the 7m fits onto the 744's heater core pipe, the other hose will require a plastic elbow or two to attach the two. there is SO MUCH ROOM AROUND THE ENGINE! the only close spot is at the brake booster, which, depending on engine movement once its all triangulated, may necessitate use of some sort of custom-fabbed "torque limiter/damper" to keep the mounts from tearing up and the rt site valve cover hitting the booster. this is going to be fun once its all done!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #47
Greenhornet95
Board Member

HOLY SH!T

-CARLO
Greenhornet95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #48
EB240
Board Member

Sweet!
EB240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #49
J2_
Board Member

Can you make a second set of motor mounts ?
J2_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #50
nextproject
Board Member

lol its the oil pan itself that is the most work really. im personally not making any of it, my boss is doing the welding, i'm just taking the measurements, gathering materials, cutting it all to the proper shapes and drilling the holes. i'll take some pics of whats left of the oil pan sometime this week.

the only GOOD thing about using one of these engines is that parts are cheap (a la turbobricks) and the engines are rather easy to come by, just go to any supra forum and you are bound to see 1 or two cars parted out weekly.

The downside is the weak headgasket and sensitive rod bearings. I'll remedy that once its all buttoned up.

My main goal here was to do as little cutting to the car itself as possible.