Old 06-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #52
Greenhornet95
Board Member

Any 1-month updates?

-Carlo
Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #53
nextproject
Board Member

yeah. picking up the finished oil pan tomorrow, the oil pump pickup is made, the wiring harness is pretty much done. the efan was mounted to the stock radiator, the radiator was moved forward, the intercooler was patched and extensions welded to piece to facilitate using it in the volvo.

also purchased and installed a fidanza lwfw.

the clutch line was made and is sitting in the car.
the fuel lines are done.

really here's what i see is left.

install oil pan and pickup.

install fabbed engine mounts on motor, then install motor/trans into the bay.

modify shifter to locate properly.

have driveshaft made

install fuel and clutch lines, bleed clutch, verify fuel line holds pressure, verify clutch works.

wire up the efan via my dakota digital fan controller, verify functionality.

fab up the remaining radiator/heater hoses.

start/finish the wiring.

get it running properly (shouldnt be hard, i have replaced so many sensors and seals that i have no doubt it will fire up on the first try and idle well)

i also installed a jdm ecu so that i can run it without the egr system, it would have contacted the brake booster if i left it in.

then i've gotta install what i can of the stock downpipe and drive it to top end fabrication in soddy to couple the turbo outlet/o2 housing to the previous 3" stainless side exit.

its been really hard to get anything done because its impossible to work on it after hours. we have been busy at the shop working on other cars and my boss has his own project, i really need to learn how to weld so that i can move stuff like this along much faster.

oh, the mounts are solid aluminum, btw. brackets are kinda ghetto, but they will suffice.

i am realistically shooting for the middle of july, having it running around boosting a meager 8psi and making roughly 250/260bhp.

i've also planned on installed the reinforced rear subframe i purchased from sbabbs as well as some rear poly bushings i'll be getting in the superpro gb.

thats it for now, i'll post pics of the mounts and oil pan once its all back from the powdercoaters.

just been real hard to find any time to do anything to it. hell for a month it sat in the back lot with the 7m resting in the bay with no oil pan on it. lol. im pretty excited.

because once this car is up and running i can go bring my corrado back from dunlap and hopefully get that thing finally running under turbo power and making use of its one-off awic.
nextproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #54
nextproject
Board Member

ways this could go once its in and running 8psi are these.

install a lexus v8 maf housing with 550cc injectors and a 57 trim ct26 (head gasket will more than likely go)

install/tune maftpro with 550cc injectors and a 57 trim ct26 (head gasket will more than likely go)

up the boost to 10psi with some cleaned/flowed stock 440cc injectors (head gasket will more than likely go)

you see where im going with this?

im planning on rebuilding the engine over the winter if it lasts that long with just minor bottom end freshening along with a metal hg and arp hardware throughout.

then i can rebuild/upgrade the stock turbo to 57 trim specs, toss in 550's, tune via maftpro and make a nice safe 400whp without pushing it hard.

then its time to sell it. lol. might get it painted, might get those 16 inch wheels in the group buy section, although they dont seem to be garnering much interest.

time will tell. pics to come shortly.

also have a set of 90+ taillights with their respective trimmings coming and a 740 rear spoiler sitting on my toolbox at work, i would install it, but its green, i would paint it and install it, but it'd stick out like a sore thumb on a not-so-fresh 740, so its going to have to wait until i can devote time to bodywork and paint it all at once.

if i get the 16's in the gb section its gonna need MOAR LOWER!

and 235/50/16 tires. which means i've gotta sell my hydras and multi-x's (which i just put tires on then parked it, lol)

Last edited by nextproject; 06-25-2010 at 11:14 PM..
Old 07-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #55
nextproject
Board Member

Okay well its time for a few pics.

Progress is kinda slow, once again this would move alot faster if i had my own garage and a welder.

Purchased a fidanza flywheel, used of course. Friction plate looked to be in good shape, installed along with a new toyota stock clutch.

That was about a month ago.

Brackets for mounting the engine were constructed (really wish i had access to more equipment than i currently do for fabbing interesting pieces that i constantly see on this board, so my custom bits are a bit underwhelming. But they get the job done)

I purchased some round aluminum stock from speedymetals.com for the mounts. Yes solid mounts. Oh well. Random misfires and banging will easily make themselves known now.

Cleaned/flushed the stock supra intercooler, nothing pretty, it was slightly damaged and i had it repaired. No boost leaks now (donor car had so many boost leaks that it hit fuel cut/boost cut the boost gauge even hit 6psi, fuel/boost cut in these cars is measured/governed by a MAF sensor, not a map sensor).

Then came the never-ending quest for an oil pan that didnt leak. I have settled for one that only gets slightly wet in a couple areas after 6 days of sitting. I'll go back over it when its running.

As well as the modified oil pump pickup.

I got real excited when i finally got the shifter modified and installed.

Also bought a set of super-sexy ultra-clean 90+ taillights with bulb holders and wiring. (Thanks sbabbs)

Today i installed this.

The modified stainless braided clutch line and we bled the system out. Ish works flawlessly.

Also started initial thoughts on the throttle cable.

And then figured out that all thats needed is minor opening up of the hole on the 7m's throttle spool and trimming the stock volvo throttle cable and installing a pinch-type clamp. Easy peasy.

Also installed part of the fuel line, i've gotta modify the other end on the engine and thats hooked up.

So quick recap:

Shifter modded/installed. Works, although its not reinforced to the extent that i'd be completely comfortable slamming gears until its reinforced, although that would mean buying some bar stock and threading the end because i didnt really leave myself enough room on the stock 7m's shifter to add reinforcement braces. It seems more than sturdy enough for normal shifting though.

Fuel line made and 1/2 way installed. Further modification necessary.

LWFW installed.

Clutch solution made/modded/installed. System bled

Driveshaft made/balanced, ready to install. I also had them remove another 3/4" from the section they modified to fit the supra trans. I did this as well as slotted the center driveshaft mount under the car so that i can adjust the driveshaft length to offset and kinda "noise/vibrations" people usually get on takeoff due to lowered stance and the driveshaft being in a slight bind due to full compression of the sliding joint. Shouldnt be a problem now. It was before, i was getting some vibration if i took off hard before the the car was parked.

Wiring has been figured out, although i havent done much of it yet other than wire in the innovate wideband.

Ebay 3" turbo outlet purchased/installed.

I've already done a mockup of the modified radiator/oil cooler setup (using the 7m's oil cooler, strangely its PRESSURE activated, gotta change that later on) and i've gotta fab up some radiator hoses. Using the volvo's radiator and expansion chamber.

Also got these in the mail today.

I bought a second set of used injectors for the 7m and had them cleaned/flow tested and they came back looking good as new, turnaround was 2 weeks from shipout to gettin em back in my grubby little paws.

I also got a 740 spoiler, cant find the pics. It was the one that was on ebay for several months, for 65 shipped i thought i'd take the chance. depending on how its constructed i may modify it to my taste, dont like how it kinda slopes forward at the back of the spoiler.

I'd rather it be flat and squared off. Kinda like all the other angles on a 740.

so there we are.

Im hoping i can get it running in the next 2 weeks, then i can cobble together a sweet homemade side exit (right after the front wheel!) and drive it out to the guy that made the original exhaust and have him modify the 3" ss side exit to fit the current setup.

only going to run wastegate pressure until i've got my corrado running and driving, then i'll up the boost to 9-10psi.

then i'll replace the headgasket and install arp hardware and take it to proline in atlanta area to have the head and block resurfaced/lapped to perfection in anticipation of an mhg and

MOAR BEWST!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #56
nextproject
Board Member

Oh and just to clarify, due to my choice in completely hacking up a perfectly good 7M oil pan and pickup tube, there were NO other modifications to the chassis of the 740 necessary to accomodate the 7M. Everything else was making brackets and modifying the transmission bracket, which is a compilation of 7M/MK3 supra turbo parts and 740 parts. No drilling underneath the car was necessary, THE THREADED HOLES WERE ALREADY THERE! I just moved the stock 740 transmission mount bracket to the rearmost mount holes and hacked/welded the supra's transmission mount bracket piece into a whole i cut into the 740 trans mount bracket.

Found a pic i snapped of a random connector i was having trouble IDing, it shows the Spal fan and stock radiator and the relative clearance to the 7M's water pump pulley. This is after i've moved the radiator forward a couple inches due to moving the intercooler farther forward and no longer using the NPR (would have required use of an FFIM/Forward Facing Intake Manifold and that would equal all kinds of extra loot i dont have right now.)

And a pic of the finished driveshaft end.

Also i DID get in on the Superpro GB and ordered ALL bushings other than sway bar-related bits due to future plans of purchasing IPD units which would include them. Also bought some new TRW lower ball joints because the driver side one has movement and thought for 45 bucks i can do both of them, the other one has a torn dust boot anyway.

Also almost forgot i DID get a reinforced rear "subframe" and will be powdercoating it as well as all of the suspension pieces coming off to get their bushings replaced.

So the suspension will consist of:
---Superpro bushings throughout (i know there may be some restriction in movement due to the nature of poly vs. rubber, but im gonna suck it up, its not a road-racing car, if i hate it i can always get rubber ones)
---Reinforced rear subframe
---Cut to hell stock springs (may end up getting cut to hell wagon rears and diesel fronts, if i can find em!
---Worn the hell out stock struts

Plenty of room for improvement there, ideally i'd love to place an order at Kaplhenke but the corrado comes first (it deserves to after sitting idle for 14 months now)

Last edited by nextproject; 07-08-2010 at 08:58 PM..
Old 07-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #57
nextproject
Board Member

well she fired up today for the first time, on ether, of course. Damn TRE pump that i installed back in january when i was considering rebuilding the b230 apparently doesnt like just sitting around. So im going to pull the pump out and hopefully a little tapping will get it working again. if not i'll get another one.

so that means the wiring thus far is good enough. still have no exhaust (going to cobble something together to get me to the guy in soddy daisy, tn that did the first one). still no cooling system (gotta come up with hoses as well as make the e-fan functional via the dakota digital controller) and recalibrate the wideband. im thinking that i should have the fuel issue fixed by the end of the week and once my couplers arrive in the mail the intercooler piping should be done by the end of the month.

so maybe sometime in the beginning of august i can post up a vid of it running around the parking lot.

like its some great big deal to have some toyota engine in my volvo. lol. oh well. i still think i've come out cheaper than if i had rebuilt the B230. (seeing as how the engine and trans were free).

Also swapped out my 90+ tails and have temporarily installed the rear spoiler on the trunklid (i.e. i laid it on the trunk).

Filled up the R154 today with some Redline MT-90 i picked up from summit, always impressed with how quickly they are able to ship stuff out even with just regular ground shipping, i must be somewhat near a warehouse.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #58
Greenhornet95
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextproject View Post
like its some great big deal to have some toyota engine in my volvo. lol. oh well. i still think i've come out cheaper than if i had rebuilt the B230. (seeing as how the engine and trans were free).
Filled up the R154 today with some Redline MT-90 i picked up from summit, always impressed with how quickly they are able to ship stuff out even with just regular ground shipping, i must be somewhat near a warehouse.
Considering since most tbrickers never follow threw their "projects", you are very far along. Also, Summit has a warehouse here in GA, so your only about one business day away from them. If they were in TN, they would charge you tax like they do us :(

-Carlo
Greenhornet95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #59
nextproject
Board Member

ah well i am comparing my build to the amazing builds i see here in the projects/resto section. i'd love to employ alot more custom aluminum parts in my build but thats just not possible. i figured they had a warehouse in GA somewhere.

Ipd sways arrived today also. Going to wait on those until i get my SP bushings in so i can fully disassemble the entire suspension and P'coat all of the arms/pieces before installing the bushings/sways and reinforced rear subframe.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #60
nextproject
Board Member

okay i've got the intercooler in its "general location" and the intercooler piping done, just gotta secure the 'cooler.

thought this was a cool feature.

also installed a rear decor panel to match the 90+ taillights i got, got those wired up today and verified that all of my lighting still works. going to redo alot of the front light wiring, but it works as it did before. might try and hide some of it if its not too hard to do.

without rear spoiler

with rear spoiler.

I've got the lower coolant hose completed, nothing special, the upper wont really be all that special to begin with either, just whatever works for the time being.

My failed TRE pump is on its way back to them and i should have a new one in the next week or so, by that time im sure i'll be all set to drive it around. Once im satisfied i'll post up a short little vid.

considering taking the tails and decor panel to a bodyshop to get a light tint put on with some clear.

i've got enough funds saved up right now to drop it off for a decent looking paint job when shes running reliably, i've gotta get it outta my sight for a few days so i can get the corrado back here.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #61
spruill244
Mahalos

looks cleaner w/o the spoiler
95' 850R-Sold
83' 244T-Sold
96' 850R- Sold
spruill244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #62
nextproject
Board Member

yeah idk which look im finally going to settle on.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #63
urbanwheeler
Board Member

You should tuck the front bumper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfay View Post
Enjoy your slammed asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaDC View Post
critical mass is just a bunch of dickwaving hipster bike-douches on roadies being hipster bike-douches.
urbanwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #64
nextproject
Board Member

i wish i knew what was involved in that. modification of the bumper supports/shocks? and then modification of the sides where they meet the wheelwells?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #65
nextproject
Board Member

Well i have no pics (or vids yet, for that matter). But SHE RUNS! SHE BOOSTS!

Yay. All stock 7psi of it! But its worlds more fun that the mundane ultra fem turquoise pontiac sunfire i've been stuck with while i get the volvo and then corrado up and running.

Starts up and idles great, although once cold it has to be cranked for a second, key off'd, then on the second go-round she fires right up. Don't know if im even going to troubleshoot that.

The TRE intank pump is performing great and once i hooked up the LM-1s narrowband output to the ecu's oxy input i got a nice 14.5:1 afr at idle when warmed up. I just swapped out the stock injectors for a set i had cleaned and flow tested a month ago.

Also got the charging system wired up, nice and steady 14v at idle, although i do miss the externally adjustable regulator feature i had in use on the b230, oh well.

I've also got NO hop/shudder/chatter on initial takeoff that i originally had before the swap, which i attributed to the lowering of the car and putting the driveshaft in somewhat of a bind, earlier in the thread i mentioned that while the driveshaft was being built that i factored in 3/4" less so that i could slot the center carrier some and move it around to where it was happy.

Temporary exhaust is installed for the trip to soddy daisy either this weekend or next so that i can have my original 3" SS v-banded turbo back modified for installation to the ct26 turbo.

Nothing fancy here, but it is nice to have it running. Once everthing is finalized and i get it back from top end fabrication with the exhaust i'll post numerous pics and a vid or two.

Current projects are all wiring related as i ordered a tach adapter from dakota digital and i've gotta wire that up as well as the cooling fan control unit from DD as well and attempt to make it all nice and tidy.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #66
Greenhornet95
Board Member

Frak!

I knew you could do it man.

-Carlo
Greenhornet95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #67
nextproject
Board Member

Been pretty busy at work so i havent had ANY time to continue the wiring for the efan (ive got it ghetto rigged to where i can trigger the relay by touching the ground wire for the signal circuit to the seat frame, dont tell anyone) but i gotta say one thing.

You cant even tell the car has solid engine mounts. I mean there are no bad vibrations at all. When i had one solid mount and the rest poly's in my corrado g60, it'd vibrate your teeth loose, and i only ran it like that for 5 mins before i pulled one of the poly's back out. This thing has 2 aluminum engine mounts and the stock R154 rubber mount out back and there is no vibration at all.

Making the appointment to get the exhaust put back on, going to just have it v-banded to the turbo's outlet elbow. Then when i get a free sunday i'll finish ALL of the wiring and post pics and a vid.

Then maybe i'll get around to installing the superpro bushings and IPD sways.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #68
7MGTEVOLVO
Board Member

Hello Turbobricks,

I ended up purchasing this car and figured I would use the existing thread to keep you guys updated.

I'll be installing standalone fuel management and getting the car dyno tuned at 10-11psi within the month. After that, I'll eventually install a metal head gasket, T61 turbo, 550cc injectors and make a true death machine.

I'm also looking into a 2nd gen MR2 electric power steering pump (if I can confirm this rack still works). I'm not too keen on the 85 amps it pulls, so I'll have to devise something which will kill power to it once a certain speed is reached.

I'm seriously looking into the Kaplhenke strut mounts, coil overs, and endlinks. I'll be doing a lot of searching around on this forum to determine what people think of their subframe and panhard bar. It looks like there is a wealth of information here.

I'll keep you updated.
7MGTEVOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #69
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

I sure hope you didn't pay anywhere near the amount that guy was asking for the car.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #70
7MGTEVOLVO
Board Member

The previous owner (not the gentleman who built the car and started this thread) was very willing to negotiate. His initial asking price was ludicrous.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #71
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

yes it was. so where is the car now?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #72
7MGTEVOLVO
Board Member

Atlanta area
Old 03-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #73
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

cool. now that it's your car, you should start your own project thread (and start off by ditching that horrible mk3 intercooler)
Old 10-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #74
7MGTEVOLVO
Board Member

I'll probably be listing this car for sale soon. It has low compression on two cylinders, and will probably need a rebuild or longblock.

If you are interested in purchasing it, feel free to shoot me an IM.

I am brokenhearted. This car was so much fun.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #75
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

isn't that the norm for the 7m and older toyota engines? just slap a gasket on there with some studs!