home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #26
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32RennSport View Post
Right on, looks like a great start to a pretty solid purchase! Keep us updated!
Will do!

Ended up wiring the fog lights and helping my wife's cousin drop the fuel tank and rear wire harness on his 1961 Ford Ranchero. Nice to work on something else besides a Volvo all the time

Rebuilt 93 B230FT block, KL Racing T3 Cam, Dual Valve Springs, 38/46 Valves, Ported, ARP Head Studs, T5WC, MSII-Extra, EDIS, Nathan Exhaust Manifold, Ebay Turbo , 90lb injectors, Full E85, 3" exhaust, Kaplhenke Coilovers Front/Rear Koni Race Single Adjustableís, RX7 Brakes, IPD 25/25 sways

1965 122s

89-240gl+t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:52 PM   #27
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Got quite a bit done today

Went to the exhaust shop to get a new muffler since it was blown out in the inside. No more rattling which is nice

The bumper chrome is pretty bad and my neighbor is into lowriders and recommended I soak the parts overnight in some oxalic acid. After rinsing I took the buffer and ran some compound and then some chrome polish. Came out decent for what it started at

Then I got ambitious and decided to take the seats and carpet out, ill be using sound deadening throughout the car including the roof when I do the head liner some time next week. The passenger side needs a new floor pan installed.

Tomorrow ill be finishing up the rest of the chrome bumpers that is soaking currently and then vacuum/shampoo the carpets.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #28
spock345
Board Member

Those floors seem reasonable intact. Although you never know until you break out the wire wheel and angle grinder and keep finding more rust.

For me welding in the floors wasn't all that bad. The tedious part was cutting out the old ones.

I am guessing your window seals were/are leaking?

I found little bits of rot around the semicircular cuts in the rear pans. So I ended up with POR 15 and a bunch of little circular patches to avoid replacing the whole pans.

Last edited by spock345; 01-20-2021 at 02:48 PM..
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:56 PM   #29
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
Those floors seem reasonable intact. Although you never know until you break out the wire wheel and angle grinder and keep finding more rust.

For me welding in the floors wasn't all that bad. The tedious part was cutting out the old ones.

I am guessing your window seals were/are leaking?

I found little bits of rot around the semicircular cuts in the rear pans. So I ended up with POR 15 and a bunch of little circular patches to avoid replacing the whole pans.
Yeah they arenít that bad looking, I poked around and didnít see any holes. Headed to Home Depot to get some wire wheels and some brushes to put down the Por-15.

Yeah all the deals are super bad, ordered every single rubber seal for the car and will be here Friday. Trying to get all the floor prepped and ready for the sound deadening.

Did you close all those little semi circle holes in the floor panels?
Old 01-20-2021, 03:36 PM   #30
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89-240gl+t View Post
Yeah they aren’t that bad looking, I poked around and didn’t see any holes. Headed to Home Depot to get some wire wheels and some brushes to put down the Por-15.

Yeah all the deals are super bad, ordered every single rubber seal for the car and will be here Friday. Trying to get all the floor prepped and ready for the sound deadening.

Did you close all those little semi circle holes in the floor panels?
They are covered by POR 15 and butyl mats at this point. So effectively yes. The replacement floor pans also lack those semi-circle cuts so I didn't sweat it. Seems like an edge that rust can form on underneath the undercoating.

I found a heat gun and metal putty knife is the best combo for getting the old sound deadening off.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:44 PM   #31
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
They are covered by POR 15 and butyl mats at this point. So effectively yes. The replacement floor pans also lack those semi-circle cuts so I didn't sweat it. Seems like an edge that rust can form on underneath the undercoating.

I found a heat gun and metal putty knife is the best combo for getting the old sound deadening off.
Alright good to know, going to wire wheel and maybe flap disc it and see what I discover

Yeah I have a heat gun and bought a metal scraper to get that old sound deadening off, itís been on there.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #32
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Your floors look pretty similar to mine when I started, once I started prepping for coating the floors it was apparent that my passenger side would need to be replaced and in the end I ended up doing a few patches on the driver side lower firewall as well. I opted for a combo of Rustoleum Professional products knowing that I was going to cover every square inch in deadening, basically balancing my costs as POR 15 was expensive the the prep and procedure was somewhat intimidating never having used it. I ended up doing three stages of Rustoleum once I had the metal prepped, rust neutralizer, primer, and then multiple coats of enamel. Cured tough as nails before laying down the butyl mat.

1966 Outlaw Volvo Amazon, 2004 VW R32 Golf
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #33
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Your floors look pretty similar to mine when I started, once I started prepping for coating the floors it was apparent that my passenger side would need to be replaced and in the end I ended up doing a few patches on the driver side lower firewall as well. I opted for a combo of Rustoleum Professional products knowing that I was going to cover every square inch in deadening, basically balancing my costs as POR 15 was expensive the the prep and procedure was somewhat intimidating never having used it. I ended up doing three stages of Rustoleum once I had the metal prepped, rust neutralizer, primer, and then multiple coats of enamel. Cured tough as nails before laying down the butyl mat.
I just did the POR 15 approach because I already had a pint can open to do parts of the trunk. I decided might as well use this before it goes bad.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:52 PM   #34
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Quote:
Yeah the previous owner tackled the driver side, wish he would have done the passenger side as well. Going to prep the floor and then use the Por-15. My wifeís cousin has some laying around that heís letting me use. He used it on his ranchero and came out pretty good. Iíll also be covering everything in the sound deadening as well, going to take a lot of prep work but will be worth it
Old 01-22-2021, 06:43 PM   #35
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Spent three hours scrapping the old sound deadening off, was not that much fun at all. I did get to put the new stuff to the back seat, hopefully it helps out quite a bit. Going to install some sound insulation as well while im in here. Its not that expensive so figured why not.

Finally got my Vp Autoparts order in today, you always seem to forget the cost once you receive some brand new parts. This weekend if the weather clears up will be a full weekend of installing the goods. Still waiting on the IPD order since a few items were backordered

Lola approves!

Old 04-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #36
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Its been a while since an update but quite a bit has been done.

The headliner was pretty shot and the sound deadening was starting to fall down. Wasn't the fun of a job, at the end of removal was covered with it. Turned out pretty good but still need to adjust/tighten the headliner some

The carpet was pretty good but was faded so I used some duplicate-color carpet spray, came out good. We'll see how it holds up.

Installed the correct steering wheel and wrapped it with some vintage RV wrap

Removed the overdrive toggle switch from the steering column and added this nice overdrive switch in the cigarette place

Now for the exciting part, these rear panels were pretty trashed. I tried my best to save them since you cannot buy repop panels and wanted to keep the original look

Rear seats and panels installed

Still have little things to do in the interior, remove the heater box and install the firewall carpet and button a couple other things up. Quite the transformation
Old 04-02-2021, 02:06 PM   #37
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Was contemplating about if I wanted to go air ride or not, but after some research it was a little more then I wanted to tackle. Ended up going with Classic Swede 100mm springs, Gaz adjustable shocks/struts and adjustable Panhard bar. The height is exactly what I was going after

Some Comparisons of the fronts

This is stock height and figured I measure to show how much it was lowered

And After

Old 04-02-2021, 11:50 PM   #38
James M
Bored member

Quote:

This car is hot, your spot on with ride height.
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:24 AM   #39
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
This car is hot, your spot on with ride height.
Thanks man! And thanks for motivating me to update this thread!
Old 04-03-2021, 01:39 AM   #40
James M
Bored member

Quote:
Thanks man! And thanks for motivating me to update this thread!
Absolutely, the way that thing sits is motivating me to get an amazon.

When you get the tires you mentioned in the first post consider some whitewalls, they look great on Jack's car if you've seen his thread
Old 04-03-2021, 02:38 AM   #41
Jack
junkman

I love them but
$200 for a set of 4 black
Or ~$200 each for actual white walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul buck View Post
I love you even more Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Donít bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I expect nothing less from an incel like you, Jack.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:04 AM   #42
James M
Bored member

Vitor galaxy V1 is like $64 each in 195/60r15
Old 04-03-2021, 03:20 AM   #43
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Vitor galaxy V1 is like $64 each in 195/60r15
Thatís called white stripe
Old 04-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #44
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Quote:
Absolutely, the way that thing sits is motivating me to get an amazon.

When you get the tires you mentioned in the first post consider some whitewalls, they look great on Jack's car if you've seen his thread
Haven't decided what wheels I want to install yet, I bought some bbs's but I don't think I can make them work with how small the hub bore is on them. My original plan was to keep these wheels and get them powder coated and run some white walls. Going to try and make the bbs's work first

Old 04-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #45
Jack
junkman

Well if you want your car to handle you should go with wider wheels
Stock pizza cutters even in 4.5 make the car a handful (something I enjoy)
Add that to non performing whitewalls ...
Old 04-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #46
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Man this looks like a pretty nice car! I vote for whitewalls or something a little more classic.
AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #47
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Well if you want your car to handle you should go with wider wheels
Stock pizza cutters even in 4.5 make the car a handful (something I enjoy)
Add that to non performing whitewalls ...
Yeah I agree, I have the 5.5 wide steels right now, would love to maybe widen these wheels to fit a 205 tire on for a little better handling. Definitely donít mind the ride right now but would love to fill out the wheel well a little more
Old 04-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #48
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNance View Post
Man this looks like a pretty nice car! I vote for whitewalls or something a little more classic.
Probably go this route, fitting some bmw wheels seems like a little too much work then I’m wanting, was trying to have the 242 and amazon with matching wheels. Something a little more wide would be ideal
Old 04-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #49
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Yeah I agree, I have the 5.5 wide steels right now, would love to maybe widen these wheels to fit a 205 tire on for a little better handling. Definitely donít mind the ride right now but would love to fill out the wheel well a little more
5.5 on in these pictures ?
They look to be 4 or maybe 4.5
Old 04-04-2021, 12:30 PM   #50
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
5.5 on in these pictures ?
They look to be 4 or maybe 4.5
Dam miss type, yeah these are the 4.5 Steelies.