• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LH2.2 Tuning For Non-Volvo Installation / X1/9 Dallara + K24 Swap

have you disabled o2 feedback in the lh ecu yet? If you're going to be fairly serious about tuning it, you'll want to do that at least while you get things sorted out.

on the ezk bin.. I think the 208 is the one you want to use. You'll want map tracing as well for both ecus to see where it's floating around (but I'm sure you know that already). 11's at heavier load isn't really that bad. 10's is rough, and depending on what 'heavier load' means, 11's could come up, but it's not likely to ruin anything over a short period of time. Is the car NA or turbocharged? (I think I missed that)

edit: NA. yeah, rich, but still not that bad for getting started tuning. I probably wouldn't run it like that forever, but it's not likely to wash things down in 5 minutes either.

have you disabled o2 feedback in the lh ecu yet? If you're going to be fairly serious about tuning it, you'll want to do that at least while you get things sorted out.

on the ezk bin.. I think the 208 is the one you want to use. You'll want map tracing as well for both ecus to see where it's floating around (but I'm sure you know that already). 11's at heavier load isn't really that bad. 10's is rough, and depending on what 'heavier load' means, 11's could come up, but it's not likely to ruin anything over a short period of time. Is the car NA or turbocharged? (I think I missed that)

edit: NA. yeah, rich, but still not that bad for getting started tuning. I probably wouldn't run it like that forever, but it's not likely to wash things down in 5 minutes either.

Thanks for the input.

Haven't done any tuning yet - only just figured out how to get the driver installed for my willem programmer - I need to extract the 95x bin from my ECU - I can only find 93x bins online. I have TunerPro RT, as I used it for my M4.4 tuning.

With the 3barFP/30lb/016 MAF the base mix is way too rich - cold start I'm in low 11's - so disabling Lambda will put me right in that range I'm sure. I'm going to get the 24lb in & see what the baseline is. I'll start tuning from that window - which should be well within the adaptive range for starters.

If you go to jetronic info you should be able to just pick up the stock rom. You can 'back date' to the 937 bin or update to one of the 96x bins as well on the 95x ecu.

Found the 951 bin and xdf from jay breeze.

Wondering how to determine values to enter for rescaling injector constant for the larger injectors? Anyone have experience with that?

X19_LH24_00131a.png

Also which scalar to play with to disable Lambda? Xdf layout is not what I'm familiar with compared to M4.4 :(

Not sure how to calculate the appropriate value for 30lb vs. 20lb stock.....

Last edited:
lambda is a flag iirc. There should be more info on the injector constants as well, I think if you get that really out of whack it does odd things to the load calcs and signal as well

on some of the xdf's you can hover over the parameter and it'll have a blurb about what it is and does.

lambda is a flag iirc. There should be more info on the injector constants as well, I think if you get that really out of whack it does odd things to the load calcs and signal as well

on some of the xdf's you can hover over the parameter and it'll have a blurb about what it is and does.

I'll look further for the flag, now that I'm out of PC hell & have the MiniPro software & USB driver issued sorted out in WindBlows8.1 - ****ing 'BitLocker" crap.

Main thing I want right now is a higher rev limit. Put the 24lb injectors in today - cold start AFR's are improved, and light / part & heavy load AFR's are much improved. No sign of any knock. I'm going to see if I can run the 3? advanced curve with this injector / MAF combo before I tweak any EZK settings.

Running quite well, Adaptive seems to be settling the fueling disparity with the 24lb injectors. Clutch hydraulic problem was actually caused by a mechanical issue with the throwout fork & actuating lever

X19_0079a.jpg

X19_0079e.jpg

fingers have some wear - I'll swap out the clutch while the transaxle is out

X19_0079d.jpg

Last edited:
Running it lean initially didn't work out well. Even though I didn't drive it more than 1/2 mile under very light load when it was still running the 18lb inj. - I found it missing & determined that I had lost compression, specifically on #2.

00A0D5FB-5FA8-4AD8-92F9-931D41294AA5_zpsvyrv3wq3.jpg

Pulled the head & found the fire rings damaged

1b732f94-7969-403a-b56f-d9639626327b_zpshd2vitkf.jpg

pistons & bores look OK

7E08734E-9014-41F9-A307-8F20F1827D85_zpssgztvz06.jpg

Running it lean initially didn't work out well. Even though I didn't drive it more than 1/2 mile under very light load when it was still running the 18lb inj. - I found it missing & determined that I had lost compression, specifically on #2.

00A0D5FB-5FA8-4AD8-92F9-931D41294AA5_zpsvyrv3wq3.jpg

Pulled the head & found the fire rings damaged

1b732f94-7969-403a-b56f-d9639626327b_zpshd2vitkf.jpg

pistons & bores look OK

7E08734E-9014-41F9-A307-8F20F1827D85_zpssgztvz06.jpg

I've never seen a head gasket do that before.

I've never seen a head gasket do that before.

To have the fire rings deform like that? I'd be inclined to claim that that is the most common first symptom of detonation. If you're lucky it's possible that the detonation damage is limited to just the head gasket. If you're not lucky, it will be somewhat more expensive.

To have the fire rings deform like that? I'd be inclined to claim that that is the most common first symptom of detonation. If you're lucky it's possible that the detonation damage is limited to just the head gasket. If you're not lucky, it will be somewhat more expensive.

I'm going to draw a vacuum on each cylinder. If they all hold up equally, I'll likely just put it back together. If not, I'll drop the pistons. The bores look fine, but that doesn't rule out some ring damage of course.

I was expecting to see obvious evidence of bore/piston damage on #2, so I'm happy that is not the case. The 87mm "flat top" pistons are very hard to get, and required flycutting for the oversize valves. Rings will be easy enough to locate.

yeah. if it was a volvo motor I wouldn't even check the pistons, seen several gaskets go like that with nothing worse for the wear.

hopefully it all checks out.

Still trying to figure out why you're trying to run your motor so lean, 2.2 and 2.4 are MAF based and should only inject as much fuel that will go along with that mass of air/load signal. I wouldn't think you'd have to adjust the tables injector size too much unless your engine magically has a different stoich ratio or the air in NY has some fuel already in it. I understand low 12's give the best power theoretically but you just found out what uncontrolled detonation will do.

I don't think he's really gotten it tuned yet, I doubt he wants it to run in the 16's under load...

Still trying to figure out why you're trying to run your motor so lean, 2.2 and 2.4 are MAF based and should only inject as much fuel that will go along with that mass of air/load signal. I wouldn't think you'd have to adjust the tables injector size too much unless your engine magically has a different stoich ratio or the air in NY has some fuel already in it. I understand low 12's give the best power theoretically but you just found out what uncontrolled detonation will do.

Not trying to run it lean at all - I had 18lb injectors in there, running LH2.2, AFR's were OK - 13's under mid - high load, 14.7-15.2 idle & cruise.

For whatever reason, after switching to LH2.4, it wouldn't keep an AFR under 15 as soon as any load was placed on it with the stock MAF & the 18lb injectors . As I stated, I only drove the car a very short distance around my neighborhood under very light load (almost no throttle) as it became abundantly clear it was NOT going to adapt (I have a AEM WB02 in the car). I switched to 30lb injectors & 012 MAF to confirm that fueling was the issue, and drove a few miles that way. Ran great, AFR's perfect under light load, but way too rich under mid/heavy load (12's & richer).

Anyway, I ordered 24lb Bosch injectors & put those in with the stock 016 MAF. Decent AFR's across the board, but clearly the damage was already done. Just glad I didn't drive the car any further before detecting the issue.

Didn't even get to the point of attempting any tuning yet....

yeah. if it was a volvo motor I wouldn't even check the pistons, seen several gaskets go like that with nothing worse for the wear.

hopefully it all checks out.

Unfortunately enough detonation to break the ring lands on one of the Mahle pistons

cracks are visible here (pistons have grease from my coating the bores while it sat with the head off for a few weeks)

X19_0134.jpg

I pried out the broken pieces

X19_0148.jpg

These pistons have less than 1K miles on them since I built the motor. Should have installed LH2.4 from the start - with no control over timing adjustment, 93 r/m2 fuel & 10.7:1 compression, I guess it was inevitable something would break.

The problem now is that there are no more 87mm 34.15CH Mahle pistions out there, so I will likely have to go with forged. With my experience with Wiseco's, I'm not entirely keen on that prospect.

Last edited:
Back