• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Restomodair Upgraded AC

I get 36 degrees from the same version with industrial esr12 and a 56 dollar Ebay parallel condenser. I have a 90 240

This is what i would do...and have done. Parallel flow condenser and propane mix refrigerant will get the job done for the least $$$. Change your receiver/dryer after your change out the condenser, pull a vacuum and it it holds, you're good to go.

The A/C in the 1990 was lacking in traffic, but I installed a temperature triggered pusher fan like that of 1991+ cars and what a difference! Go through the system and replace the expansion valve, compressor and receiver/drier. Don't forget new o-rings on connections you broke loose. Add some POE to the receiver/drier and compressor before you put it all back together. Vacuum the system down and recharge with an R12 equivalent(Duracool, Envirosafe) of your favorite and enjoy cold A/C.

Yeah, I think that’s a solid plan. I will be replacing the dryer, compressor, and adding a parallel flow condenser anyway. May as well see if that improves things. If not, I’ll move forward with the rest of the project.

Mine has stock evaporator and fan. I have a new compressor and just recently put a bigger condenser (parrallel). On a 100 degree day I get 44 degree vent temps. I also have duracool. I tried 134a and never got out of the 60s. So, as you said, new dryer, compressor, and prallel flow condenser. I had to make a couple of AC lines, Im in the middle of nowhere so I had to make my own. I used pex clamps with a pex crimper. So far no leaks.

I know there are people on the board with a lot of disposable income... and if you wanted to spend $1000 to $1600 on new AC system I don't see anything wrong with that... more power to you.

Yes. It was expensive. I saved up and bought stuff over a few months until I had it all. If I still had decent 240 filled salvage yards like I used to have years ago in calif I might have gone the 93 part route. What was discouraging to me was my inability to find a good setting on a TXV. I tried at least 4 different TXVs with multiple experimental settings on each and I never could get the results I wanted. Went through a whole 20lb bottle of Duracool. It seems all available TXVs come only with an R134a preset, so they needed adjusting for an R12a setting. The trouble is that you ask 5 different people and you get 5 different answers on what that setting should be. None worked anyway. Tried em all. At least now I have results for my money.

Last edited:
Like Dave - grew weary of a system I was unable to make deal with heat/humidity of southeast US climate....had the money, retired = had the time. Threw checkbook at it.

I need to do that to my 91 740. Would the condenser off a 960 fit?

I was looking at those parallel flow condensers and it hit me: they are just like how VW have been doing their radiators for a while. And they are very efficient.

Good luck, tear everything apart, remove all the parts that fit, hack universal parts into places that don't fit them, and cobble a half assed solution that doesn't work better than factory.

OR :
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M7aZzkqLtFM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I need to do that to my 91 740. Would the condenser off a 960 fit?

I was looking at those parallel flow condensers and it hit me: they are just like how VW have been doing their radiators for a while. And they are very efficient.

Don't make it harder than it has to be -- buy the largest contemporary condenser you can make fit (measure your space) and use it; you don't want to use the old fin/tube type. The more condenser you have (L x W), the better.

Don't make it harder than it has to be -- buy the largest contemporary condenser you can make fit (measure your space) and use it; you don't want to use the old fin/tube type. The more condenser you have (L x W), the better.

^^^and the most pusher fan you can fit. Yount and I both run dual fans up there.
Dave B

The pusher fan is really the key to most ac systems. The condensers are wide but thin it's that those pusher fans all move like 2400cfm or more.

I don’t use a pusher at all. Fully shrouded dual 11” Spals. The front end is sealed tight as a drum - every molecule ( :) ) of air moved by the fans comes across both rad and condenser. Controller runs them at 75% of max speed whenever compressor clutch is engaged. And I have the ability to disengage that a/c-fan link (turn a/c trigger off) when I’m out on the Interstate for long runs at high enough speed to move enough air without them. If your pullers are sized correctly and air flow is managed properly, I’ve found pushers aren’t necessary. Neither of our DD’s have pushers and the A/C in both will freeze you out.

Last edited:
txv

Yes. It was expensive. I saved up and bought stuff over a few months until I had it all. If I still had decent 240 filled salvage yards like I used to have years ago in calif I might have gone the 93 part route. What was discouraging to me was my inability to find a good setting on a TXV. I tried at least 4 different TXVs with multiple experimental settings on each and I never could get the results I wanted. Went through a whole 20lb bottle of Duracool. It seems all available TXVs come only with an R134a preset, so they needed adjusting for an R12a setting. The trouble is that you ask 5 different people and you get 5 different answers on what that setting should be. None worked anyway. Tried em all. At least now I have results for my money.

So did you figure out best setting for the txv? If I remember right my new txv came setup for 134a. Which I believe it was seven turns out. I think I split the difference and went with 3.5 turns out. Ive thought about taking it apart and trying 2?

So did you figure out best setting for the txv? If I remember right my new txv came setup for 134a. Which I believe it was seven turns out. I think I split the difference and went with 3.5 turns out. Ive thought about taking it apart and trying 2?

I had a bunch of new R134a TXVs that came from the manufacturer 6 turns out, 7 turns out and up to 9 or 10 turns out. I tried 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and even 1 turn out and almost every half turn also. I verified that the heater valve was fully closed. This was over a few months of testing. Wasted a LOT of Duracool. I Never found a setting that worked well on my car. Always had issues at idle with the vents slowly warming to almost ambient after 20 minutes. It was the most frustrating thing I have ever dealt with in a 240. But like I said, lots of people have had success, so I think there was something uniquely wrong in my stock AC that the TXV could not overcome. I didn't disassemble it after I pulled the old setup. I tossed it in the trash and felt really good about it after that.
Dave

I don?t use a pusher at all.

Ok then. I misunderstood. I have dual fans on the biggest condenser I could fit in there. It's something like 16 x 25 inches. Yount's 242 doesn't have an intercooler that helps block airflow. Mine does, so I can't get away without the pushers.
Dave

My condenser about 15"x21". I think the other limiting factor for those of you with the stock mechanical fan on Volvo 4 cylinders --- is the mechanical fan. Opinions vary about that -- but that's mine.

No doubt intercoolers sandwiched in make flow across more challenging and makes sealing things up so no air gets bypassed more challenging.

Ignore that wire hanging down - it got relocated.

I went with 16x24 condenser. Was a real pain but got it installed. No room for the fittings I had to drill hole for the top fitting. Installed a 16 inch pusher comes on with compressor. If was to doit again I would get a 20 inch condenser or 22 x 18 maybe. Would of made my life alot easier

I've just replaced all the janky accessory bushings, cheap o-rings, insulated the capillary tube on the T-stat switch, replaced the old natural rubber hoses and had them charged with R12 with no issues whatever :lol:.

This is TB, so that's considered insane, but no drama and it has been a decade+ solution and counting :e-shrug:

They worked reasonably well when new just the hoses leaked and the t-stat switch wouldn't cut the compressor off before ice-up so it'd be slugging it on a marginal charge/oiling, never mind the janky accessory bushing/belt tension issues common to these that made them all die prematurely. The T-stat switch cutoff issue would be especially bad in the summer, since the alcohol tube is usually near the (in the summer) extremely hot trans tunnel with no decent insulation on it.
Parallel flow condenser and just the stock pusher fans probably wouldn't hurt.

Tropical fan clutch and the stock push fan with a 77-82 switch on the passenger side of the radiator for cave-man primitive/silly simple control works fine with just stock/cheap/no fuss junkyard junk that fits. :e-shrug: If it's ~100?F out, the top of the pass end tank will quickly reach 82?C pulling air thru the condenser with inlet air off the pavement ~135?+F or more even with the tropical fan clutch fully locked up (not always if you use the B230FT water pump pulley on an N/A car, but then that means a lot more coolant cavitation at high revs/water pressure to potentially blow out heater cores at 4500-5000+RPM, so compromise there for sure/wouldn't go that route) when idling. In practice, the pusher fan is always on sitting idling on warm days, but not being wasteful/running when not absolutely needed, despite being primitive without precise computer control or other switches/gizmos other than the switch sitting in the coolant, counter intuitive as that sounds...the location of that switch at the top of the cold side rad end tank is very deliberate: It's essentially a reference point akin to the t-static spring on the front of the clutched fan measuring average air temp of the radiator: (not quite totally cold outlet temp of a heat exchanger (radiator), but measuring one bar/single direct trip across the heat exchanger) basically from initially hot).

Basically, if it's warm out, with the 77-82?C (~180?F) switch in the pass side of the top of the rad (not quite fully cool rad outlet temp basically), that works out to fairly precise pusher fan control without being wasteful in practical terms with the A/C on...over ~135?F pavement on those scorching 95+?F days, likely ~165?+F after passing thru the condenser, you'd figure coolant would have to enter the engine at MINIMUM ~170-180?F idling to maintain engine op temps of the ~180-192ish target of the stock T-stats.

Make sure there's no dirt in the radiator fins and the rest of the cooling system/air guides are good.

I've mostly solved all the A/C problems with:
-Correct sized viton o-rings (cheap and easy)
-A trip to the hose shop for some modern barrier hoses (not necessarily earth shatteringly expensive/difficult)
-.17? in small boiler tube insulation for the dial switch ( (cheap and easy)
-Tested not beat up tropical fan clutch that works (junkyard/used)/replace the silicon fluid if the hub doesn't leak if you insist for .17?/hr IH8MUD style
-Used 3-row radiator (cheap and easy/not mandatory)
-Random used wahler 77-82 temp switch that screws into passenger side of radiator (cheap and easy)
-Stock 940/850/960/whatever randomish FWD primary fan relay for push fan if you wanna be fancy (cheap and easy/not strictly mandatory/overkill for the pusher)
Freon R-12 in my case, though duracool works fairly OK, but not as stable over such a wide temp range. IDK I just buy R12 when possible. As long as you seal it all up and address a few shortcomings it hasn't really been leaking out, helps to know where to get Freon and use the machine when one has to...but we're talking a couple hundred dollars at worst really from what I've seen.
-A recently replaced used or new compressor that isn't all worn out. (bit of a problem piece at this late date not contaminated)
-Stock pusher fan...works if it hasn't been damaged, motor might need cleaned out or swapped (fairly generic Bosch or VDO branded motor common to other stuff IIRC). (cheap and easy)

Would still kick the compressor on and off idling and ice up in 95-100 degree heat, but we don't have it near as hot on the pavement as the SE/SW arizona sunlight intensity, to be fair, though pretty miserable on the eastern side of the state on road trips (not a lot of traffic in the high deathly miserable desert though), and very thin high elevation air that doesn't exchange heat very well.

You can pretty much do all this little stuff with drop in decent condition junkyard/fairly generic parts without reinventing the wheel, especially for just a mundane stock N/A daily driver that doesn't have a wildly different/hotrod powerplant/engine bay packaging re-arrangement, driving the car reliably comfortably being primary, performance secondary at best.
Didn't want to swap in the 1993 stuff, had an early sheetmetal car and it doesn't fit in a 240Turbo engine bay very well.
And it's a lot more labor time.
That said, the factory did do it and the parts exist used (1993 system swap if one has more time than $) and wants a legit totally legal R134A designed setup that's mostly reliable...

There's basically no evidence that my 1986 corolla (just to name a random car but there are lots of others laid out similarly...no need to fixate on that) was ever re-charged and the R12 still ices up pretty well.
That said, it doesn't have miles of natural rubber hoses, poor control of the compressor cutoff point to prevent it from pulling in liquid refrigerant and/or something to prevent it from running around on low charge and/or the compressor jankily mounted all cockeyed on a bunch of flimsy hooptie bushings either...
Such shortcomings can be mostly addressed fairly inexpensively on the lowly volvo, but there it is...

Last edited:
Back