• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Speeduino an alternate to Megasquirt.

Teaching students you say, looking at the logs you say... Well, rusEfi shows the formulas online via it's "rusefi console" tuning tool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsKoD4tMfOU

As for logging, SD card on the board is there obviously to write the logs. Since rusEfi is compatible with with TunerStudio, you can also write logs with tunerstudio. Or you can write logs with rusEfi console - so three options to write the same .msl/.csv log file.

update: better quality video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKbtZKQFg4I

UfRnJr8.png

Last edited:
I agree that my schematics are not easiest to read. I generally design semi backwards from what most people are looking for. You may notice my schematics have lots of similarities with the layout. This is because I generally layout the chips, paying very close attention to the current loops, and how current flows on the PCB. I start paying attention to this with the schematic layout.

As well in a 4 layer board design you generally have GND and power as your internal planes, then you punch via's through to these planes at every GND and every +V point. So I do the same in the schematic. Then I layout the wires with minimal antennas, crossed over wires and minimal current loops.

I agree this works well for me, but is not as clear to most of the world. I hope I make it easier than starting a project from scratch, but at the same time I agree it could be better. I was happier with the general arrangement in the below link, but am still not happy with it.

https://sourceforge.net/p/daecu/cod...K-MPC5634_ETPU_IO-board-sch_RA.pdf?format=raw

I really want something that includes the system, not just the PCB parts of the schematic. However I do not know of any good system schematic tools.

One of my biff's with tags, is that I don't have a list which tells me where all the other tags are located. I have to do a crtl-F to find them. I have those zone markers on the border, I would really like to get a list of tags which are noted with page and zone. But I have never seen that in any software.

I wish I knew a way to make the schematics more easy to understand. On a good note, a second schematic could be made such that we have an design schematic and a diagnostic schematic. Both could give you the netlist and links to the locations on the PCB. AKA if you click a pin on the schematic, it high-lights the pin in the PCB window.

I'd like to find better solutions. Are there any suggestions on how it could be made better? Keep in mind that a board with 4 layers can become a big pile of spaghetti when drawn on a 2D medium. Spaghetti schematics are not easy to follow either.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the Volvo speeduino thread. kb1gtt - let me setup an account at rusefi and we can continue the schematic vs. layout vs. open source talent level discussion there.

I'll look for you over there. I agree, this thread has gotten off topic. I don't know much about speeduino. I did a review some time ago and relayed my comments and suggestions to them about how I thought they could make it more robust. As well I pointed them to my list of suggested hardware design requirements, like ambient temperature, load dumps, survivable voltage surging, PCB layout, etc. Because I don't have much more to offer in terms of Speeduino, I'll stop commenting in this thread. Here's hoping it goes well for you.

Hi...I think these projects seem to loose momentum after they get a few running and realise the flaws require a complete rewrite and or more expensive hardware to fix said flaws.Far too many buy a MicroSquirt and them try to make it do the things a MS2 can do and have a less than stellar experience.

assembly circuit

Last edited:
Far too many buy a MicroSquirt and them try to make it do the things a MS2 can do and have a less than stellar experience.

Except that Microsquirt (V3) literally is MS2. You're basically talking about the lack of aptitude of the end user, not the hardware itself. The majority of MS users are pretty much clueless, which leads to a lot of people not admitting their own shortcomings when they get in over their head and pass it off as a hardware issue. That seems to be what you're describing here.

interested in speeduino...

what a aditional sensors i will need to assemble and run it on my 940 B230 turbo?

A bit late to the party here! And I see it's gotten out of hand and noise control has been called. That's often how such things go. Que sera sera :-)

Is Free EMS the Russians? Haven't heard from them in a while...

EDit - Nope not the russian = rusEfi

Free EMS seems to be active, but stalled awaiting development of more permanent hardware layout?
No new boards have been made in 1.5 years. (jaguar 0.7?) (waiting on hardware changes?)
Difficult to tell what is going on, the forum seems like a diary/scratch pad for Fred.
No, definitely not Russian, a quality design ;-) Originally Kiwi in the UK, but gradually a global international project. 12 countries, 42 engines. Drive by wire. Paddle shift. etc etc. Depending on skill, hardware, and code variant.

Jaguar 0.7-alpha is solid, however it's a pain to assemble and install and use, and can be fragile depending on how you put it together.

Prior Jaguar releases had various extra flaws, but 0.7-alpha is pretty solid. The only update from that to a potential new version would be revised MAP/AAP sensor footprints due to obsolescence of the package in use on the 0.7-alpha. However Andy only sells blank boards now, so you need reasonable skills to put one together including the SMD parts. I need to step up in this space. Andy has another product "basic ECU v2" that can run an engine, but AFAIK he's not run one with it yet, so consider it still awaiting testing.

There was a decent Russian project on the forum by the name of SECU-3 however they eventually went their own way hosting wise. I originally gave them a forum section because they were using a single thread on some other site and it was unmanageable for Alexey (who is a good honest dude with skill and morals).

FreeEMS has 40 documented installs, the latest was posted Sept 16.

I'd buy one and give it a twirl but with the last board release 1.5 years ago, I'm in wait and see mode.

I'm actually looking forward to trying one as that will force me to learn a new skillset compiling code.
Apologies for what appears Stagnant. You can blame my Volvos for sucking up all of my time ;-) Semi serious excuse. Also been through a few jobs and family issues and a land purchase and so forth. Kids on the horizon now, too. I have a few regrets with the project and they can be summed up by:

• Tried to put community first and encourage a team effort
  • Didn't do all aspects of project myself in the first place

Though a couple of people in here would probably bitterly argue that I did the opposite of that. You can't help the blind to see :-)

The net effect was I poured many many thousands of hours into helping others to do things I could have done quicker and better myself, and less got done. Oh well, live and learn.

rusEfi is where it's at now.
I don't think so! :-D

So crying about breaking IP law generally just means that you're a hack who can't or won't code up your own junk.
Quoted for truth.

easy or not, with *any* kinda management system there's usually a steep up front learning curve.
Quoted for truth, also. This reeks of experience and hands-on knowledge ;-)

The open source evangelists, who think anything closed source is evil and should be purged from the earth.
Not everything, just anything involving trust. As someone else said, operating systems, browsers, and, when you have 5k in your engine build, ECUs (after careful review of code, bench testing, and someone else with a similar setup trying it first).

MegaSquirt (of any variety) is what it is. A product with a well known set of flaws with well known work arounds that some people have memorised and mastered. 11 years ago when I first ran an engine with MS2 on the very first sequential code I had a flawless experience - not because the product was - rather because I knew all the gotchas before I began. I also built my MS2 from local components for about 200nzd and sold it a 4 or 5 years later for double that. Can't complain. Not looking back, either. I've personally seen FreeEMS running engines in 6 out of the 12 countries it's run them in. Nothing like watching your work come to life and meeting the people that make it happen. Especially when it's a truly original work!

Speaking of which, the topic of this thread is about Speeduino. One of the things I'd criticise about Speeduino is that it uses the M$ style algorithms, and they're flawed. ReqFuel? Oh come on!

And while critiquing work, if you ever looked at the MS2/3 code, you'd be forgiven for crying. It's not open source, but the source is readable, and that's valuable in terms of QC and many-eyes review. It failed all of my tests. My own code fails *some* of my tests, but passes many others. The failure modes of MS firmware are scary in the context of that 5k engine. When you have been coding since before your voice dropped and your balls grew hair, have a formal tertiary education in the topic, and have worked across several continents in various types of software development from one end of the spectrum to the other, you're well qualified to make judgment calls like that. When my forged 16 valve redblock turbo wakes my 740 GLE up, rest assured, only one code base will be running it: FreeEMS. 'nough said.

Except that Microsquirt (V3) literally is MS2.

Off topic but I must respond.

A MicroSquirt is literally NOT an MS2, it uses MS2 technology.
A MicroSquirt doesn't use the same firmware as a MS2, it uses a subset of the MS2 code ported over to a smaller processor.
A MicroSquirt does not have the available IO ports that a MS2 has.

I agree with the rest.
MicroSquirts are purchased because they are a cheap preassembled unit.
Folks who can't assemble their own ECU (MS2 v3.0) should not be enabled by a preassembled super basic system that is not expandable.
Just because you can run an LS motor on one, doesn't mean you should.
The MicroSquirt should have been marketed as a MS1.5 or even a 1.9 because it is literally not an MS2, yet it is marketed along side an MS2 this confuses folks. Thus they think it will do everything a MS2 does.

MegaSquirt (of any variety) is what it is. A product with a well known set of flaws with well known work arounds that some people have memorised and mastered. 11 years ago when I first ran an engine with MS2 on the very first sequential code I had a flawless experience - not because the product was - rather because I knew all the gotchas before I began. I also built my MS2 from local components for about 200nzd and sold it a 4 or 5 years later for double that. Can't complain.

And while critiquing work, if you ever looked at the MS2/3 code, you'd be forgiven for crying.

I have tried to not complain about MS short comings.
I am not a coder so I can't speak to that end of the deal. I'm a hardware guy.
The engineers who designed the MS boards have made some huge blunders.

They have tried to embrace everything with one product.
They have expended huge amounts of resources to support stuff that probably should not be supported. In doing that they have not improved the product but cluttered it up.
Continuing to advocate/support legacy systems is doing new users a dis-service.
Incorporating/embracing third party systems that add complexity when simple native hardware solutions exist especially when functionality is compromised is not a win.

Their biggest blunder was the MS3, making it plug into a MS2 main board was a huge fail.
Attempting to retain legacy compatibility hurt it bad, a clean slate was certainly called for.
They should have built a backplane for the basics that every system uses including an interconnect for 2 to 4 modules (ign, inj, and add ons), with separate harnesses for injection, ignition, sensors, & addons.

I think that MS2 firmware should have been made modular instead of rolling it all into one and wasting a lot of memory space on the processor. They have painted themselves into a corner and can no longer add to the MS2 without removing something to make space.

Thanks Fred, I am encouraged to try your stuff.

I think that MS2 firmware should have been made modular instead of rolling it all into one and wasting a lot of memory space on the processor. They have painted themselves into a corner and can no longer add to the MS2 without removing something to make space.
MS2 development ended a while ago, so I don't really think that's an issue.

I'd like to try FreeEMS, but ultimately I'm not a coder/hardcore DIYer, so not being able to purchase a complete product kinda kills it for me :(. I've run just about every other system out there over the years, and am intrigued by the open-source offerings. EFI is an addiction for me, lol.

Same goes for Speeduino and RusEFI.

MS2 is still under development some MS3 features are even being folded into the MS2 code

I know this is replying an old thread, but

Consider the latest official MS2 3.4.2 release is dated Jul 10, 2015
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=59349&sid=80eb14c9d5e7eb5f9a4270bc21ffbc16

And the 3.4.3 beta 3 on May 3, 2017...
http://www.msextra.com/downloads/dev/ms2extra/3-4-3/beta-3/

And if you would read the all the beta release notes
http://www.msextra.com/downloads/dev/ms2extra/

I expect no more MS2 developments and only bug fixes.

Last edited:

A MicroSquirt doesn't use the same firmware as a MS2, it uses a subset of the MS2 code ported over to a smaller processor.

I agree with the rest.
MicroSquirts are purchased because they are a cheap preassembled unit.
Folks who can't assemble their own ECU (MS2 v3.0) should not be enabled by a preassembled super basic system that is not expandable.
Just because you can run an LS motor on one, doesn't mean you should.
The MicroSquirt should have been marketed as a MS1.5 or even a 1.9 because it is literally not an MS2, yet it is marketed along side an MS2 this confuses folks. Thus they think it will do everything a MS2 does.

I have 2 turbo ls car one with microsquirt and one with ms3x. I think from a beginner standpoint (like myself) the microsquirt is very fun to mess with and learn with, also its easy to use.

The MegaSquirt-II CPU daughterboard, the older MicroSquirt module, and the newer MicroSquirt v3 all use the same identical processor -- MC9S12C64CFAE. You can read the part number for the first 2 from the pictures on diyat, and you'll need to trust me that I confirmed the same part number on my MicroSquirt v3:
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/microsquirt-module-v2-2/
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/cpu-megasquirt-ii-daughterboard/

[I know that the published MicroSquirt schematics show a smaller MC9S12C32 part. I'll assume this was wishful thinking by the designers, but it might have been done to annoy anyone trying to build their own based on the schematics.]

Both MegaSquirt-II and MicroSquirt use almost exactly the same software - there are slight differences due to supporting different input/output capabilities. There are compile time flags for the different versions in the Makefile. As far as I can tell, there will be no further development or bug fixes for either version.

As far as IO ports, they're different and one version may be better than the other for your particular setup. A brief comparison is at: http://www.useasydocs.com/index.html
- MicroSquirt does need an external MAP sensor, so that's a minus.
- I wouldn't recommend running low-Z injectors with either version, so that's a wash.
- The MS-II stepper idle control is not usable for redblocks, so removing it doesn't make a difference.
- The MicroSquirt 2x logic level coil signals support wasted spark while MegaSquirt supports direct drive for a single coil. Which is better depends on your engine.
- Both MicroSquirt and the pre-assembled MegaSquirt 3.57pcb support PWM idle control, so another wash.
- MegaSquirt includes 1x opto-isolated crank/cam input and 1x VR input, with manual adjustment. MicroSquirt includes 2x auto-adaptive VR crank/cam inputs. There are issues with all and 60-2 wheels.
- For connectors, the MicroSquirt's AmpSeal is much better electrically than the MegaSquirt DB-37, but the DB-37 may provide a lower-profile installed solution.

Back