home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #51
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldieBrick View Post
I think that would be sweet. I've always really enjoyed seats that look like that as they have a very robust look to them, and if you get the right type of foam (I would do high density memory foam) it will be extremely comfortable as well.

I'm curious as to what the difference having a/your wipers on it? You're not going to be using them and the arm isn't long enough to wipe the bugs off your glasses...?? And I don't think cops like when people ask them why they didn't pull someone else over whom was being unsafe and/or had a viable excuse to be pulled over, etc... It kind of grinds my gears that cops don't even express themselves in a way that could educate the public and give someone an idea of their frame of mind and/or how they think. I mean your car does probably draw a lot of attention, but there are other people who do stupid sh!t all the time and don't get pulled over, but it's always the good folk who do.. Sorry for ranting, but that kind of stuff bothers me, and because I ride motorcycles, it bothers me even more.

And to be honest, you weren't even doing anything wrong; and I'm pretty sure that the officer could tell that it was a project car when he first stepped up to the window. But luckily for me (maybe lucky isn't the right word), my glass guy is installing front and rear windshields tomorrow so I can "legally" drive it. Which no where in the drivers manual does it state that you cant drive a car without windows.
Oregon state law says that as long as you have a single working wiper, wether manual (model A) or powered you car meets legal driving standard. And no where in there does it state that a windshield is necessary, so as long as a wiper is on the car you're legal. And under the classification of "Street rod" you are not required to have more than 1 unobstructed rear view mirror, so no side mirrors necessary. And under the same classification you are not *required* to have fenders… I get pulled over a lot for stupid things like my tires stick out from the body so I need mud flaps or over fender… "BS copper, Heres the ORS that I printed from the states driving statues… Eat it" I keep a copy of most Oregon "street rod" classifications in my glove box, the cops here get really bored.

And the cop that "pulled" me over for the windshield didn't technically pull me over. No lights, which is requirement for a traffic stop in Oregon. I simply saw that my car was starting to stumble, and when I pulled over he pulled up all hot and heavy. He just wanted me to know that it wasn't safe… but neither is walking, riding a bike, riding a motorcycle, or driving a car anyway.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #52
cwdodson88
Board Member

So I got my passenger seat in... They are really comfortable, and after I get some pads in the bottom and back I think they will be perfect. At some point I may cut them and bolt them to the original seat frames after I lighten the frames a bit so that I can retain the recline adjustments, and the fold forward passenger seat. But here are the installed pics

I really need to get my little grant steering wheel in. The side bolsters on these are way high, but they keep my a$$ in place so its a give and take.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #53
cwdodson88
Board Member

So I went out to the annual Neon Nights Cruise and Show in the Shade this weekend. I got a whole lot of looks and bunch of questions. All in all it was fun. I think the most fun was when a guy told me that Volvo's were air cooled… lol

Anywho, I got some pics front the cruise and the show.

Last edited by cwdodson88; 09-22-2014 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: removed pics
Old 08-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #54
cwdodson88
Board Member

I think I might want to do this to my hood.

This next one was my fav… Amazing fabrication.

So its a 2.3 ford with a DOHC swap, but I couldn't ask him what it was from. The exhaust is actually run into the frame rails that goi from under the cab to over the top of the tank. One tank had a removable end cap that was actually used as a trunk, but too many friggin people to get good pics of it… it was sweet.

Then theres me…

between a '40 ford woody, and a Rolls Royce.

Last edited by cwdodson88; 09-22-2014 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: removed pics
Old 08-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #55
cwdodson88
Board Member

Finally got my cross bars installed in the grilles...
Old 08-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #56
GoldieBrick
Board Member

The grill turned out really well Chris.

Ad the car show looks like it was a lot of fun! I'm a little sad that I wasn't able to go, but my motor decided to commit suicide and now I have to rebuild it.

How many people normally show up to the car show?
GoldieBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #57
cwdodson88
Board Member

So the Friday night cruise usually brings out about 3000 cars, from an original Model A to a bunch of new Corvettes, Mustangs, Hondas, Subys, Scions, and since were pretty close to the sticks we get some lifted pickups.... A friend of a friend has a lifted Dodge that had tires that came about half way up my windows... I almost parked under his truck to see if I’d fit. The bottom of the doors was 6-8" above the roof of my wagon.

The show on Saturday brought out 275 cars that registered for the show. about 500 more lined up the streets to the park.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #58
cwdodson88
Board Member

Alrighty, so I guess its time for an update. Carbs are empty and the dang thing runs on Megasquirt! Took it for a spin today trying to get a data log, but my kindle was not reading correctly, so no log, and until my new laptop battery shows up I'm stuck without any sort of rolling road tuning.

Anywho, I thought I should try to post up an MSQ to see if anyone can help me along while I wait for my laptops new battery.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yukxb9y7qu...spin1.msq?dl=0

Seems that it's idling rich 11.5 ish, and under quick roll into the throttle it seems to lean 16.4 then flatten out around 14… If anyone has any ideas or any tweaks would be awesome at this point.

Here's a datalog of a trip that's about 2 miles
http:// https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1...5.msl.zip?dl=0

Last edited by cwdodson88; 09-14-2014 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: added datalog
Old 09-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #59
cwdodson88
Board Member

Ran a significant amount of tuning/datalogging over the weekend. Lots of good stuff, car is running much better, next up is warm up and cold start stuff. Got bored waiting for my driver so I made up a shift light outta an old water temp gauge that bit the dust.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #60
cwdodson88
Board Member

So took a quick video of it running last night
http://youtu.be/j8O6-GkKwYQ
Old 09-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #61
GoldieBrick
Board Member

What kind of paint did you use your head? I've never seen engine paint in that color.
GoldieBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #62
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldieBrick View Post
What kind of paint did you use your head? I've never seen engine paint in that color.
its this:
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/enginemetallic/
I was going to try to match the color of the car... I think it needs to be darker. The next one (my b20 turbo that is under the workbench) will get this same stuff mixed with a little black clear and brown to match the car better.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #63
cwdodson88
Board Member

So I got some new goodies that may be of interest to this build...

New -6 rail by nathaninwa... Its perfect! Then a little birdie brought me this

It's a Garrett GT2052 with a .60 AR hotside, and .51 coldside... needs a rebuild and an adapter tur run off my t3 mani, but I might just give it a try.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #64
cwdodson88
Board Member

Well, I sold that Garrett... and blew a fuel pump, note to self and others, Walbro pumps DO NOT LIKE LOW VOLTAGE... so got a new pump and regulator, just need to whip up some AN lines and install the regulator.

So here is the pump I got:

and the regulator:
Old 01-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #65
cwdodson88
Board Member

Well, it's been a while since the last update.

New pump is working great, loud, but works well. FPR is working out well after some creative mounting. I installed some new green top injectors and my nathaninwa -6 fuel rail, that was a nice little piece to add to the engine bay. The car has been running great after some work and daily jam sessions to work. Overall I'm very pleased and surprised at how easy the MS install went.

I just received a new Wilwood clutch master and a new slave. And I picked up a new braided soft line and will be grabbing a piece of hardline tonight. So new clutch hydro will be in place hopefully after this weekend.

Next up on the list is to finish picking up the parts for the Wilwood disc swap on the front. That will include a new master, hardlines, and I might see about moving my stock front calipers and rotors to the rear.... but that will be later in the spring.

I'll post up pics this afternoon
Old 01-09-2015, 05:16 PM   #66
cwdodson88
Board Member

So here are some pictars of the new rail and fpr. I think it turned out well, but looking at the pics, I need to wash my engine bay!

And now I can see my fuel pressure with the hood open from the driver seat!

And it looks like I might be able to swap to a D-Jet intake manifold this weekend, and I will probably be selling off the HIF6 carbs and manifold once the new mani is tested and found to be in good order.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #67
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

I was about to say, carbs AND MS? How Dafuq?
1967 220 amazon station wagon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #68
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerbritcan View Post
I was about to say, carbs AND MS? How Dafuq?
well in msns mode I did run them for about 4-6 weeks under a spark only situation. Ran way better than the dizzy when I got the timing map worked out.

But now, they're gutted, so its kinda like dual throttle bodies...
Old 01-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #69
cwdodson88
Board Member

Well, I swapped out the lucas clutch master cylinder for a Wilwood unit, it bolted right in, but my clutch pedal is about 1.5" higher off the floor... I thought about shortening the pushrod, but I figure I'll try it like this and see... and I went ahead and replaced the hard line, and softline (got a nice braided line from Eric at HiPerf)

The engine bay got kinda uglied up around the clutch master cylinder from a leaky master so when I make the leap to a wilwood brake master and swap to the wilwood front brakes I'll pull the wiring and clean/respray that area.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #70
cwdodson88
Board Member

This weekend I'll be installing *hopefully* the d-jet manifold... We'll see if there are any improvements over this and see how my little manifold bolt spacer/adapter things go over...
Old 02-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #71
cwdodson88
Board Member

Well, I got that D-jet intake installed. Need to clean up some more under hood wiring. For now its kinda being sideburnered until next month when I get my wilwood calipers for the front. I've decided to sell my house and find one with a garage so I've gotta finish up some house projects.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #72
carbonmike
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
Oh, and I forgot to post up a pic of the surge tank install, so

So now I just need to run a high pressure feed line, return to the surge, and return to the tank! Should all go together by the end of next week! And by then I might just be ready to switch to wasted spark!
Nice progress, you are doing a lot of what I plan. How did you handle the return to the main tank?
carbonmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #73
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonmike View Post
Nice progress, you are doing a lot of what I plan. How did you handle the return to the main tank?
I drilled a hole in the sender for a 1/4" npt 3/8 hose barb (there is just barely enough room)... then I opened up the 3/8 hose barb fitting. Tapped the hole for 1/4npt then on the underside used a female 1/4 npt fitting with a piece of submersible hose. Its not ideal, but it works for now. I think that in the near future I will need to rework the filler neck with a vent and a return fitting (it burps when filling) and then run a line from the surge tank to the filler neck.

That little red dot on the sender is where I placed the hole.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #74
carbonmike
Board Member

I am curious what turbo you are planning on using?

Last edited by carbonmike; 04-03-2015 at 07:50 AM..
carbonmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #75
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonmike View Post
I am curious what turbo you are planning on using?
At the moment that's in the air. My exhaust manifold is flanged for a t3 frame. I was thinking that I would run a GT2871rs ball bearing for that quick spool up. But after doing some more research on the Mitsu's I found that you can machine the TD04-13c compressor housing to fit a 16t compressor wheel, and it only takes a few minutes to flatten the turbine inlet flange to fit a t3 flange. Cost wise, finding a Volvo 90+ 13c is a huge win, and then another 250.00 for rebuild kit and 16t swap, plus a 6pack at the local machine shop to have it punched out to accept the 16t compressor and it still comes in at about 1/3-1/2 the cost of the GT28 and a t3 exhaust housing... So I'll be pondering that for a while and see what I can get my hands on.

I just got my Wilwood front brakes ordered, they will be here this weekend.... Safety first I guess... Gotta be able to stop this thing before I can make it go fast