• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 pcv mod

dl242gt

The world of the smiling Dogo
Some of you asked me about this recently. Here are some pictures of the pcv mod done on my 93 wagon. I did this because the drain back hose on the oil separator box is clogged and the crankcase ventilation was bad. The stock setup is still connected but this is probably the main venting going on now on my tired oil motor. Seems to work well.

Attachments

• 100_0081smaller.jpg
    100_0081smaller.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 705
  • 100_0082small.jpg
    100_0082small.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 688
  • 100_0083small.jpg
    100_0083small.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 693
I just threw this together when I was replacing the oil trap box and discovered the clogged drainback hose. This car is a road warrior taking all the crap of the bad weather.

Some of you asked me about this recently. Here are some pictures of the pcv mod done on my 93 wagon. I did this because the drain back hose on the oil separator box is clogged and the crankcase ventilation was bad. The stock setup is still connected but this is probably the main venting going on now on my tired oil motor. Seems to work well.

Where does the lower hose in the first photo run to? Does it connect to the air inlet before the throttle body?

Did you leave the clogged block box as is or did you cap it /block it off somehow?

Where did you get the 3 way fitting? or is it the stock plastic thingy?

Hard to drill the oil cap and weld? epoxy?

Just so we can document this and others can benefit!

The more +Ts people do the more they can benefit from threads like this.

Did you leave the clogged block box as is or did you cap it /block it off somehow?

Where did you get the 3 way fitting? or is it the stock plastic thingy?

Hard to drill the oil cap and weld? epoxy?

Just so we can document this and others can benefit!

The more +Ts people do the more they can benefit from threads like this.

0. I left the clogged drain hose in place. I tried to clear it with a metal wire but don't think it worked. I put a new oil trap box on there anyway.
1. the three way fitting is a local pep boys purchase. 1/2 metal 3 way hose coupler. Plus I used another straight 1/2" metal hose coupler.
2. the oil cap is for a B18B.
3. For sure!
4. This engine is n/a. A 93 B230F. Check out other threads here on catch cans and the pbase stealthfti pages for other pcv stuff.

You should be able to get a long springy brush for cleaning out aquarium hoses at a pet shop. That might clear out the drainback hose.

Just a thought.

-Ryan

You should be able to get a long springy brush for cleaning out aquarium hoses at a pet shop. That might clear out the drainback hose.

Just a thought.

-Ryan

Thank you for the good suggestion.
If that stuff wasn't baked on and hard as a rock that might work. I pushed a hanger wire through it and it didn't really help. As suggested in another post if you want to take a chance on pouring solvent through it while the oil drain plug is out that may help. But I didn't want to take a chance on any solvent getting around the inside of the engine.

Anybody tried using a shop vac with a length of simi-rigid hose to clean the drain back? At least then you'd be removing the crap rather than pushing it in the oil pan.

Use spare oil breather, fill full of kerosene, let soak for several days, flush with hot soapy water until hot water runs clear.

I have a Yoshifab catch can kit for sale if you want to get that junk out of your intake for good. You'd need the hoses, but all the fittings are in the kit.

Doesn't look like junk to me, especially if it works. Not everybody is in the market for $350 catch can kits...

Did this on my wagon. Works fine and prevents the valve cover gasket from blowing by.

Get a new filler cap gasket for that thing!

The breather boxes are pretty reasonably priced from a variety of online retailers.

LOL that oil on the valve cover is more from me spilling it when adding oil than it leaking out of the cap. It was a new gasket when I put on the cap.

I want to try this mod as well because my RMS seems to be leaking and after cleaning and inspecting the whole PCV system, I'm not too sure if there is still something wrong. I just want to make sure the leaking RMS is not caused by the PCV system.

I have a turbo, so the hose from the breather box runs to the turbo intake pipe, not to the throttle body. I do need to tap into that hose, right? It's the hose that runs over the valve cover.

Last edited:
Yes, I did this same kind of thing on my 82 turbo and it worked well there too. The large hose that goes to the turbo inlet hose is what you connect to as you mention. Be sure to use a cap like a B18 has so the flow is slow enough for proper oil separation. Originally I tried the cap from a 74-75 B20F and that let too much oil flow into the pcv system. Not enough separation.

The B18 cap is working very well.

I think there is a recent thread about pcv mods another member was trying.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=340310&highlight=lummert

Back