• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mitsubishi Evolution 8 Enkei wheels on a 1992 245?

Enkeis or Virgos?

• Total voters

toms_elleck

We're looking for some 17s for my wife's wagon. It's a 92 with a (CARB legal) B230TI swap, rolling on Virgos right now:

I found a set of Evo wheels super cheap on Craigslist, and stuck them under the car for pictures. They're not bolted on, just sitting there while the car is on blocks. We're trying to decide if we want to spend money on adapters and tires, or keep shopping for wheels. Here's the Enkeis:

If we decide to bolt them up, I will fix the curb rash and repaint them. I'll either keep them silver, or paint them the same graphite color as our Virgos. Please let me know what you think. Do the Enkeis fit the look of the Volvo?

Thanks for the replies so far! It really helps my indecisiveness.

I'm not a fan. I just don't like many 6-spoke wheels. I vote keep looking.

Nice car btw!

I think you forgot to vote, because 'keep looking' is at 0%. Haha

I hear you on the 6 spokes, I don't normally like them either. Even numbers of spokes makes for a very heavy and strong look, best suited for trucks or industrial equipment. Odd numbers of spokes imply motion, because there are no lines going straight across the wheel through the center point, and work much better for sports cars. You won't find 6 spokes on a Ferrari or Porsche as often as you find 5 spokes!

That being said, I've always admired Evo wheels, so I jumped at the chance to pick these up for $100 just to satisfy my curiosity. I think that because this is on a wagon, the 6 spoke 'truck wheels' could pull off a sporty utility look. I'm thinking that with smaller tires and the right stance, the truck look will be reduced a bit, and the sports car look will be dominant. But it'll take $600 in tires and adapters to find out for sure, that's why I started this poll!

I think they look surprisingly good.
thats a great color code too btw, want some body color power heated mirrors? ;-)
off of a 245 classic

Thanks for the replies so far! It really helps my indecisiveness.

I think you forgot to vote, because 'keep looking' is at 0%. Haha

I hear you on the 6 spokes, I don't normally like them either. Even numbers of spokes makes for a very heavy and strong look, best suited for trucks or industrial equipment. Odd numbers of spokes imply motion, because there are no lines going straight across the wheel through the center point, and work much better for sports cars. You won't find 6 spokes on a Ferrari or Porsche as often as you find 5 spokes!

That being said, I've always admired Evo wheels, so I jumped at the chance to pick these up for $100 just to satisfy my curiosity. I think that because this is on a wagon, the 6 spoke 'truck wheels' could pull off a sporty utility look. I'm thinking that with smaller tires and the right stance, the truck look will be reduced a bit, and the sports car look will be dominant. But it'll take $600 in tires and adapters to find out for sure, that's why I started this poll!

I didn't literally vote. :lol: I would use them all day if they were bolt-on, I think I just don't like them enough to invest in adapters.

Thanks everyone! Since the adapters go to 5x114.3, I think I'll give me a shot. If the wheels suck, I can find some other 5x114.3 wheels (such as those new repop BBS RSs that are all over Craigslist) and swap my tires over. Or just sell the adapters on here and find some Style 5s to redrill. The adapters seem to be an easy sell.

I think they look surprisingly good.
thats a great color code too btw, want some body color power heated mirrors? ;-)
off of a 245 classic

Uh, maybe! I'll look up what they look like and send you a PM.

Nice wagon. I think I saw that one somewhere.

I bought it from this dude that did a bunch of great work to it for a very reasonable price. It's needed very minimal maintenance and my wife has driven it to San Francisco monthly, Portland twice, LA 4 times, and is about to go to Austin, TX and back. My wife leaves our daughter with me, and calls it "dashboard therapy". She loves that car. We couldn't be happier with the car, Andy. Thanks again. I just hope to treat it with the same respect that you did, and maybe add some reasonable modifications of my own along the way ( short struts, 17" wheels, and maybe another bitchin' homemade roof rack, this time in black) other than that, it's got everything I could possibly want in a 245. Except maybe for beige paint. Hahaha!

wheels = meh
split window panel = super awesome!

Thanks! What you can't see is that it's actually a high hinge double door, with a late Westy camper interior, all-terrain tires, and a bay beam (for a 2" lift). Great for exploring Jeep trails and finding secluded river side camp spots. and you should see the looks on the faces of a Jeep club when a damn beige hippy bus comes down the trail that they just "conquered" and a 4 year old baby girl climbs out of the bus. Talk about taking all the wind out of your sails!! Haha That rear weight bias from the engine really helps with traction!
It'll get a Subaru swap one day, after I finish all the other projects.

That's awesome Thomas. I see it has had some miles as those BFG's are worn down to nothing! I miss this 245, was one of the last I could build up in a way I liked to do.

Presently have a nice enough 1979 red/red 244 here though that I put a rebuilt B23F in, and of course have a 245 kicking it here too . Glad y'all are enjoying that 245!

I'm kind of mixed on those wheels, but I'm just so damned old school that I think anything larger than 16" is too much on a 2 series - but I think a color change of those Evo wheels would do wonders the same.

That's awesome Thomas. I see it has had some miles as those BFG's are worn down to nothing! I miss this 245, was one of the last I could build up in a way I liked to do.

Presently have a nice enough 1979 red/red 244 here though that I put a rebuilt B23F in, and of course have a 245 kicking it here too . Glad y'all are enjoying that 245!

I'm kind of mixed on those wheels, but I'm just so damned old school that I think anything larger than 16" is too much on a 2 series - but I think a color change of those Evo wheels would do wonders the same.

Yeah, those are almost all wife miles, too, so not too much of that rubber was wasted on tire spin!

We've done motor and tranny mounts, added a catalytic converter, removed the side trim, drilled some coolguy holes in the front bumper, and repainted all the black trim. Oh, I also temporarily removed the trans and engine oil coolers due to leaks. Other than that, it's the exact same car. (Except a little dirtier in the back seat area due to my rug rat.)

You have a very impressive skill with building awesome Volvos. I'm always eager to see the next one you put together. I like the look of your red 244. Didn't you have two identical ones? I loved your raised green 245 the most of all!

If an old school guy doesn't absolutely HATE these wheels, I'll interpret that as a seal of approval! Haha. I must be new school, because I think 17s are the perfect size for a245, and 18s are just a bit too much. I do like 16" BBSs on these cars, or 15" Panasports. I haven't ordered adapters yet.... I am still reviewing these pictures and weighing my options. But I need to decide soon. Can't have my wife and daughter cruising on bald tires much longer.

I rode in this car right after Andy had finished the swap, he picked me and a friend up from the airport after I bought another one of this 245s and drove it back home. I always liked it, and that color on 245s in general, glad it went to a board member.

I came pretty close to snagging similar wheels about 6 months back. But with bald tires the guy wanted $450, which was too rich for my blood. I always thought they'd look pretty good, but obviously I never got a chance to mount them. Can't wait to see some pictures.

Whenever I see six spoke wheels, I think FWD/WWD. So, I vote keep looking for cooler wheels. IMO, Virgo's are leaps and bounds better.

Back