home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom > projects & restorations

Old 01-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #101
meeki007
Board Member

well 75% done with the seat bottom thought id show it off still have to block some seams and stretch it on. Dont know yet but i have to use some batting in there to get some of the creases out.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #102
meeki007
Board Member

well still have some work to do on the seat back but its coming along. It gets easier every time. Still allot of work for this novice.

still have to take in some seams a bit but better to make it a bit big than too small

May have some photos of a new seat by the weekend.
meeki007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #103
klr142
Turbo, what?

Nice work man, keep it up!
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #104
meeki007
Board Member

So got to work on the seat back. The leather was so bad that if you bend it it breaks. These seats were left to the sun in a sealed car for 11 years. there out of a 1969 so the leather is falling apart.

The back bolster was so stretched out that even in the full tight position it was loose.

So here it is. I used some tow strap and re hemmed the seat bolster straps to fix the problem.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #105
crazy240
Board Member

good work. a thin flexible piece of plywood works too.
crazy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #106
meeki007
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy240 View Post
good work. a thin flexible piece of plywood works too.
that's smart thinking but then how will your bolster work?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #107
meeki007
Board Member

Well got the seat bottom finished up and mounted to the bottom frame.

Back bottom

Front bottom

not to shabby for my first time making seat skins.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 AM   #108
meeki007
Board Member

well got the top section done too!

The new next to the old.

I need to clean up the plastic knobs and the seat after all the work but only got 1 more to go.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:56 AM   #109
Arjen
Board Member

Wow looking good, how is the quality of the leather/fabric? I'm curious how you will make the back-seat, I've put 740 seats in the front but the bottom of the back-seat sill needs to be taken care of.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #110
meeki007
Board Member

Well the 145 back seat is in good condition on my car. I was just going to fabric dye it black as its cloth on the back seat.

If it rips ill just take it out and make a pattern as well.

It's allot of work, I'd be happy to lay out the process for ya but expect it to take many hours to finish.

1) remove seat in question.
2) carefully inspect seat and see how its all attached.
3) pry d-rings or other attachment point loose so you can remove seat skin with minimal ripping.
4) get a marker and label all sides of the patters with a number or letter where the connect, IE A,A B,B etc.
5) get a seam ripper and remove each section of fabric.
6) lay fabric out on new material and trace line around the border of fabric add a ruff inch more to the border.
7) Cut out new fabric.
8) Label that piece the same as the old one.
9) lay old fabric cutouts onto new fabric cutouts and draw a line around the hem line (where it was sown) this way you know where the stitch needs to be when you resemble the parts.
10) sow all new pieces together on the hem line you drew. (remember its not an issue to go back and take it in but its hard to let it out so sow on the outside of the hem line.
11) trial fit. Mark excess overlap and pin it for taking in.
12) take in all extra.
13) test fit again.
14) if good attach to seat and install!
15) enjoy new hotness.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #111
meeki007
Board Member

Well got busy with the 2nd seat today. Got the headrest done and 1/2 of the bottom seat. Keep trucking
Old 01-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #112
WeezilUSA
Board Member

Looks really good! Lots of dedication to make that happen, I don't think I've got the patience!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #113
meeki007
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezilUSA View Post
Looks really good! Lots of dedication to make that happen, I don't think I've got the patience!
Thanks! for the support

Ya motivated me I got the seat bottom finished and am 1/3 of the way done with the seat back. Soon no more sewing.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #114
meeki007
Board Member

So got tired of working on the seat so fig id post a howto fix your 140 Rheostat (dimmer switch)

This will be the 4th one Ive fixed now. First time for my car. Every one else has just been jumping the leads on their dimmer. This does not fly for my application because i hate bright green lighting at night and I'm putting red leds in there and don't know the brightness and want to be able to dim them.

First remove the knob. You have to be careful they break.

I put a rag around the knob and wiggle and pull up with pliers.

Remove the two Phillips screws on the back and pry up right were my screw driver is.

You should see this.

This is where you will be puttin your digital multimeter to test your dimmer to see if its the dimmer, the board, or where they connect. as you can see there is lots of corrosion on it but ya never know.

So you have connected your digital multi meter to the plugs and set it to resistance in ohms. Move the dimmer left to right stopping periodically. If the resistance moves up or down when when moved in one direction finishing at no resistance 0.00 and the other way no reading at all your Rheostat is good. Move onto checking the board or where it connects to the board. Also in the full on position it should read 0.001 or less resistance. As you can see in the photo mine reads no sig so its the Rheostat.

Pull the locking tabs up on the back of the Rheostat. It will come apart. Be careful !! there are 2 springs under the copper plate! As you can see in the photo mine needs allot of cleaning.

Here is the back side. Ive already clean the center part a bit by scraping with a small eyeglass flat blade. Note: this copper is soft stuff. Take your time cleaning with any sharp items or it will gouge it.

After scraping i used a brush to clean it up a bit more.

Then some steel wool.

Here the plate the sits ontop of the 2 springs cleaned up.

Put it back together the same way it came apart. May take some time aligning them springs on the plate. Use some dielectric grease to keep corrosion from coming back quickly.

Now its 0.00 in the full on position and it gos up as i turn it. yaaaa fixed.

yes my multimeter led screen has lost 2 bars

guess i have to work on the seats again.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #115
klr142
Turbo, what?

Good to know.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #116
Dan820
Board Member

Question on the little Diahatsu alternator. Is that unit internally regulated or did you have to use an external unit?

It looks like a nice option for B18/20 since it's smaller than Bosch or Delco alternators...
Dan820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #117
meeki007
Board Member

its internally regulated
Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #118
blu92in99
I hate you all, equally

Bitchin' work on the rheostat. Mine's been sketchy as of late, been meaning to do this to it anyway - now I have pics!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #119
jerryc
Board Member

What a nice job on those seats. Well everything really, this build has been a great read. what nice careful work.
But damn those seats are nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJenoxX View Post
There isn't one because dudes aren't grossed out by unsolicited vaginas.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #120
meeki007
Board Member

Well got the seats done. The first one i put out in the cold i brought in. Well it looks like the cold stretched it out and made it wrinkly :(

But with all the new foam and only 120 USD im happy to have done it. However in the future ill just be buying wreaking yard seats and welding them to the seat frame. Cheaper and less misery. Good learning lesson though. Hope they last 10 years !

Thinking about warping a towel around an iron and flatting out them wrinkles.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #121
meeki007
Board Member

Its ok guys you can make fun of my shriveled seat. Its pretty tough crowd around here. Touching though no one has said " HA HAA" yet. I was expecting John V to poke fun by now.

Well on a positive note i got 60% of them wrinkles out so they look better than 10 Y/O seats now. I do worry that they will just shrivel again after temp changes. But even when shriveled they are comfy as hell. Ill take shrivel over exposed foam any day!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #122
JERIC
Board Member

nice job on the seats. it shows you can do anything you want to these cars with enough will to do it your self. I would be proud of those seats if I did them and so should you. Only way they would have turned out better would to have had them done by pros and that would have hurt the wallet bad.
JERIC
JERIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:55 AM   #123
meeki007
Board Member

Well thanks to turbobricks user Saabs i now have a backup 1990 b230f with 140k miles. Not so scared about turning the boost up now !

Ive been taking care of my sick wife, jamie. She has been so suportave of my work on my car and hers that i had to devote the last 6 days to treating her strep throat case and the flue all in one. I never thought id be so happy to return to the garage. Work starts tomorrow when i get up.

Also the volvo dealership had the window track rubber for only 9 bucks a door. The 240 rubbers fit but they are just a hair to big and stick out on the sides to wrap around the frame. you only see 2mm of it but at less than 40 bucks for new ones that look right i gladly paid the price.

Now them windows will not leek or rattle when i drive.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #124
meeki007
Board Member

So I got around to ordering my led lights for the spedo cluster. I got them here ---> http://www.superbrightleds.com

It was some work researching what standard bulb types fit this cluster. I'm changing the light color to red. I hate the green and after my army days i like the red light because it does not hamper my night vision.

The first bulbs i got are for replacing the green lighting. There are 2 bulbs. Type 194 fit the socket. I ordered these ---> http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...FWLED-xHP5.htm

your replacing this bulb.

with this bulb http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...FWLED-xHP5.htm

To get the actual bulb to show red you have to remove the green lens from the board.
They pop off with a screw driver rather EZ like. Yes the little tabs that hold them in will break.

Ill take more photos when my bulbs show up.

Now I also wanted to replace the dummy lights as well.

I don't like how bright the turn signal light, and the brights on light is. the bulb that fits is type 74. So i ordered 2 these less powerful bulbs to replace them. ---> http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...cs%2F74-x.html

Then for the last 3 bulbs i wanted some power so they will shine when i have an issue. ---> http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...%2F74-xHP.html

Replacing this

With this http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...%2F74-xHP.html

Again ill take photos when they come in.

Last edited by meeki007; 02-04-2011 at 07:16 PM..
Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #125
Mr.Borrie
The Sneaky F*ing Russian

Good lord, awesome build!
Mr.Borrie is offline   Reply With Quote