home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 AM   #151
meeki007
Board Member

So I've been real diligant lately. Connected up a bunch of stuff.

The major problem with this swap is that many things had to get removed to make room for the b230ft. So Ive been playing the 'where to put this' game.

Got the Water/Alcohol Bottle installed. Already installed the water alch system. Window washer bottle and pump had to be fabbed and placed. Got the head lights and grill back in. Wired up some more car alarm stuff like the hood pin safety switch and the remote start.

The Horn had to be moved and wired up so I did that. But i never had tested the horn even when I bought the car. I got a shocking sound when i tried it. Video and sound of horn below.

I think its good enough.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 AM   #152
mblue240
Board Member

Is that the original horn or did you buy a new one?

Tbricks build

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4_ford View Post
In Oregon, 5 Volvos in a parking lot isn't a meet, it's just a daily coincidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChoy View Post
Yep, Michael is right.
mblue240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:10 AM   #153
meeki007
Board Member

well its the original horn setup. ya know 2 of them. One flat and one like conch shell all on a bracket. I guess 41 years took its toll. Its plenty loud. I had the wife press it for me when she came home. She was like " is it supposed to sound like that?" I said, "no you broke it guess you'll have to buy me a new one." I got the frown-E face from her for that one :P
meeki007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #154
blu92in99
I hate you all, equally

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeki007 View Post
I had the wife press it for me when she came home. She was like " is it supposed to sound like that?" I said, "no you broke it guess you'll have to buy me a new one." I got the frown-E face from her for that one :P

Car is coming along nicely! Still diggin that interior fabric pattern. I just pulled mine out of mothballs for the winter and started driving it now that the weather is nice...of course, on day 1 I found a few fuel leaks. So I drove it on day 2 instead.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #155
meeki007
Board Member

Well its running but the dang altinator died again ! have another one one comming in monday. Have a life time warenty on it but this is the 3rd one thats died. I talked to the guy behind the counter (at Baxters) and said "if the next one that comes in fails I want a refund." He got all huffy.

Ive been through 3 alternators from the time i started this build. I think its heat from the manifold thats killing them but than again the first one i got died in 3 weeks. I wonder if its the remaned units.

I put a laser temp gauge on it after a long hard run and the alternator is only 158 deg the head was 196 and the manifold was 220 something so i don't thinks its that. I also have an amp meter. Expensive thing it is. I temporarily put it inline from the alternator bat out to the battery and with every thing on. Radio blasting loud, heater on high, interior lights on, front back window washers going, head lights on bright and the ER flashers working, I was peaking at 38 amps on a 50 amp alternator.

I'm stumped on how I'm killing these things. I even checked contacts and random shorting to ground nothing.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #156
meeki007
Board Member

Drove it!!!! up and down the block yesterday. Look like I will be making the IPD garage sale with it.

Still have tons to do. but its getting there !
Old 04-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #157
meeki007
Board Member

Finishing up the back.
Figured Id take the time to show you some custom panel work.

I don't know what happens to them or how previous owners loose them but here is one way to solve not having them.

So here is the hole i want to cover.

Measure and trace onto paper. keep cutting paper/ card-stock till it fits. Then transfer to door card board. Remember to cut it 1 to 2mm smaller than you need because when you cover it it will grow a bit.

Then cut vinyl about an inch bigger than you need along with some batting to make it plush. Staple it and you should get this.

I had to do 3 of these for this car. Here is the back almost finished up. Have to cleen dye off the metal after the back finishes drying in a few days.

yaa its starting to look like a up-kept DD
Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #158
meeki007
Board Member

So today we will be tackling the back wing windows on our 145's this also can apply to back seat wing windows on a 142.

Well Volvo got smart and just stopped putting wing windows in 145's in 1971 and later. This, IMO, is because they let exhaust gas back into the car. Especially at speed on the highway ETC. But it could have been many other things/complaints.

So if you have a 1970 145 or earlier your seal must be looking like this.

This is a pic of the passenger side. The drivers side fell apart when i took it out.

I went to the junkyard and started hunting for seals that might work. Well when i found the 740's I noticed that the door seals are very similar.

Top 740 back seat door seal.
Bottom 145 wing window seal.

Top 740 back seat door seal.
Bottom 145 wing window seal.

At 7 bucks total from u-pull-it; I grabbed both back door seals from the 740. The bonus is that the back doors hardly get used and the seals are in a bit better shape.

I also noticed that one of the curves lines up prefect with the 145 seal. Here is the 145 seal up top and the 740 seal cut out on the bottom.

Here it is installed!

The gap for the tract had to be smooshed down so it will fit snug on the metal seam. All i did was take a hammer and tap on the seal all the way around then took my time tapping in the new one.

So how to do it.

Lay out a seal. Also nice that the 740 passenger side seal becomes a 145' passenger side seal so you don't have to switch sides in the fabrication.

The yellow lines are cuts. The white shows the measurement. All measurements were taken on the outside edge of the seal. Id cut a bit over because its ez to work a bigger seal in or cut off more than try to add some back on. So add a millimeter or 2 when cutting. Also make sure to cut at a 45 deg angle shown in the photo by the yellow lines. Also this diagram makes a drivers side seal. Just think of the image below if you saw it in a mirror, that would make a passenger side seal!

install and FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope this helps some of you out.

Last edited by meeki007; 04-25-2011 at 07:36 PM..
Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #159
meeki007
Board Member

If you have a 140 and have a fabrication problem feel free to give me a PM i might have a solution :P
Old 04-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #160
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Unreal
Nice work.

Edit,
If you crack the front 1/4 windows the flow thru Swedish AC and windshield clearing program will kick in and the fumes won't recirculate.

I miss my 70

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi a stock can support?

Last edited by Redwood Chair; 04-26-2011 at 12:28 AM..
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #161
meeki007
Board Member

Did all the ball joints and a tie-rod. Then did all the rear bushings. Here are some of the bad ones.

The back end is sooooooo much better now.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:45 AM   #162
egads
n00b

WOW

Loving your work and keen to see any other stuff you do, attention to detail is killer
egads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #163
meeki007
Board Member

wrong post

Last edited by meeki007; 12-31-2011 at 11:15 PM..
Old 01-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #164
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

wat

Herr Harlard am Erstens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laced713 View Post
but volvo does not use a head gasket on this engine they use an anaerobic sealant applied very thin. I'm pretty sure OEM parts are mostly forged internals in volvo's and cast block. The fact your trying to poke fun at me saying it doesn't have a head gasket, when it doesn't, makes me wonder why your even here.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #165
meeki007
Board Member

So here it the new Sewing machine. I'll be able to knock out some serious seats for now on.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #166
chirish1234
Board Member

Updates damnit

1989 Volvo 245-GO FAST DRIFT CAR!
1988 Volvo 245/ B230FT, 16T @ 13PSI, G80, M46+Craving boost short shifter, Battery relocation, 15x7 ARES, Ecodes, Euro front end, 25/21 sways, too much to list Sold
1971 Volvo 144/ project

CoconutLeah:~Hes not afraid to hang out the window with a camera while passing you on the right at 70mph
chirish1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #167
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

there's things going on.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #168
aharvey4

This is a great thread, I plan to do the same to my '68 145s, Where are the photos? I see nothing after your first post. I assume its an image hosting issue, if its not a huge PITA for you to fix I'm sure we would all love to see them again.
Thanks for writing this up!!!!!
aharvey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #169
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Well its running but the dang altinator died again ! have another one one comming in monday. Have a life time warenty on it but this is the 3rd one thats died. I talked to the guy behind the counter (at Baxters) and said "if the next one that comes in fails I want a refund." He got all huffy.

Ive been through 3 alternators from the time i started this build. I think its heat from the manifold thats killing them but than again the first one i got died in 3 weeks. I wonder if its the remaned units.

I put a laser temp gauge on it after a long hard run and the alternator is only 158 deg the head was 196 and the manifold was 220 something so i don't thinks its that. I also have an amp meter. Expensive thing it is. I temporarily put it inline from the alternator bat out to the battery and with every thing on. Radio blasting loud, heater on high, interior lights on, front back window washers going, head lights on bright and the ER flashers working, I was peaking at 38 amps on a 50 amp alternator.

I'm stumped on how I'm killing these things.
I even checked contacts and random shorting to ground nothing.
Wrong voltage regulator?
IE:
SEV Marchal - Motorola VS Bosch?
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #170
Arn02
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharvey4 View Post
Where are the photos? I see nothing after your first post. I assume its an image hosting issue, if its not a huge PITA for you to fix I'm sure we would all love to see them again.
Thanks for writing this up!!!!!
+1

The 245 GT
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #171
Reuvers
Board Member

such a shame.
Reading the info here gives good information, however with the lack of the foto's its just such a shame of a thread...
Reuvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #172
meeki007
Board Member

Currently working on image issue. digging them all out of storage and hosting them again.

Fig ill upload 10 a day.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #173
egads
n00b

Thanks, much appreciated.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #174
Reuvers
Board Member

Quote:
Currently working on image issue. digging them all out of storage and hosting them again.

Fig ill upload 10 a day.
good on you!
Reuvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:15 AM   #175
meeki007
Board Member

Its taking time as i have to read the thread and fig out what picture was used. I'm tired of the image host ive used in the past so I'm going to upload it to my own server I use here at my house. Wed of next week I'm on spring break from school. I'll Start the move to my own host then. Never again. Even if I loose my domain all Ill have to do is change the domain on the links and it will keep the dir structure.