• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 '93 945T Hard Starting

malloy1

Problem started a couple weeks ago and getting worst.

It use to start with just engaging the starter for a few cranks and releasing the key. Now, it takes 20 or more cranks, it stumbles, and stalls. I have to hit the gas pedal to keep it from stalling out. The ignition my have a hiccup ever once in a while when driving around (3 or 4 times on a 40 minute drive, so not exactly sure).

Changed out the fuel pump and injector relays with no change. Cleaned the battery terminals too (positive was corroded). No difference. No fault codes (1-1-1). Cleaned the throttle body a year ago.

Could it be the crank sensor? The sensor is labeled "Volvo", and the car has 240K miles ->Maybe the original one?

I have a new crank sensor, but this is my wife's car, and I'm leaving town for a few days.

Can it be something else?

Paul

Last edited:
I pulled off the AMM plug, and the car started right up. I changed the AMM and cleaned the K&N filter. Seems to start right up. Hopefully this was the problem.

Check rail pressure

Got a wiener! FPR is leaking fuel on the vacuum side. I replaced in with one from my 240 (non-turbo), seems to work fine, idle is high.

I need to replace it with the correct one. If you have one, please let me know.

Paul

It's a Bosch 0280160294.

Yep. Same number on both FPRs, one from the turbo, one from my 240. Makes sense they would be the same, since NA injectors are so much smaller there's no need for less pressure.

Or maybe I'm nuts and the one in the turbo car wasn't right?

Last edited:
I found one for...

I realize vehicle is a local daily beater, but unless its a newer FPR, I would not mess with another potential headache.

I have not been stranded on roadside for years/years, but it cost more to maintain.

I have bought some used items, like ignition module on 2.8 GM, but it comes off much newer vehicles with lower miles.

Back