• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

Gonna throw a few more pics in for good measure.

Here's what the passenger floorboard looks like at the moment. Everything is...everywhere, but it's functional. I'll take some time and clean it up/shorten up wires next time I'm home from school.

IMG_3881.JPG

Getting close to done under the hood. I still have to finalize my intercooler piping, paint the rad support, and re-install/bleed my brake system.

IMG_3877.JPG

IMG_3878.JPG

IMG_3879.JPG

There are basically three separate connections in the ECU harness. One is for the ignition, and is a large four-pin GM Weatherpack near the wiper motor. Two smaller weatherpacks, one four-pin for the injector wiring, and the other 3-pin for the DSM CAS are situated here. Makes removing the harness fairly simple if needed, and came out as clean as I could get it with what was available to me.

IMG_3891.JPG

Here you can see my harness routing. From left to right is the coil pack harness, the main harness, and the harness for the fuel injectors.

IMG_3895.JPG

Last edited:
IPD Springs and Decarbons installed this past weekend...the boat-esque front end is banished! Pic related...the IPD springs were like half the height of the stockers, and only dropped the car .5". The second pic is how a 240 with fresh stock springs looks...I don't ever want to hear anyone say springs don't wear out ever again. Maybe in a perfect, controlled environment, they don't, but in the real world, oxidation happens.

sprangs.JPG

1138.jpg

Your car looks great and I really dig the classic look of the quad round headlights. On a side note, my car, the blue '85 wagon in your second photo, is so high up because it has Bilstein HDs and no lowering springs, they tend to push the car up. It also has rear overload coils in the back, so I think it's higher than it would be when it was brand new from the factory. That being said I'm sure your right, springs do wear out and most old volvos probably ride a fair deal lower than when new.

Haha, thanks for the kind words.

It's a bit of an ongoing argument here as to whether springs wear out or not. I posted your wagon as an example of some of the 240s I've seen with new factory suspension material.

Well, everything fatigues with stress and age so being that springs have both, it would only make sense that they would wear out.

yea i agree my 940 before it was called mine the left rear sagged pretty bad . my mom was pretty big and she drove it all the time also the gas tank is on that side.

DOH!

Yeah, I have. Buuuut I left them at the shop again :-(

I've been scatterbrained, running all over the city to try and find a custom spark plug wire set with the correct ends for LS1 coils. I'll probably have to end up ordering them from somewhere. Le sigh.

And thanks for the compliments!

Call Kingsbourne . I'll bet they'll make custom GM/LS1 coil/Volvo plug wires

Looking good BTW.

I got a set from Scott Performance Wire in Mooresville. Still waiting on TrickMick to get back to me on a set made by him...

can ya post pics of the Scott Performance wires from Mooresville? Aren't they the NASCAR wires?

He makes them for several teams, yeah. $40 for the set and same-day turnaround...I can't complain.

Check the first post on this page.

Love this car. It's Bentley-esque in the first pic. Very tidy install too. As soon as I organise a workshop (next year?) I'll be on the hunt for a late 70s 244 to play with. I mean, I like my 940, but these things have soul, or some crap like that. Dunno, maybe I'm a closet hippy, but who cares...

Love this car. It's Bentley-esque in the first pic. Very tidy install too. As soon as I organise a workshop (next year?) I'll be on the hunt for a late 70s 244 to play with. I mean, I like my 940, but these things have soul, or some crap like that. Dunno, maybe I'm a closet hippy, but who cares...

Thanks very much! And yeah...you can't beat a late-'70s 240.

Props to Derrick and Mark.

The car now has a full 3" exhaust. To the junkyard tomorrow to pull the brake lines I need to fix my screwup, and then hopefully on the road on Friday or Saturday before I go back to school on Sunday.

I don't ever want to hear anyone say springs don't wear out ever again. Maybe in a perfect, controlled environment, they don't, but in the real world, oxidation happens.

Springs do lose their strength over the years. Volvo springs seem to hold up better than the American car springs(back in the 60-70s).

The springs on my 69 Chevelle were shot when I bought it. Replaced with new & made a big differnce. Why I'm not big on lowering with old cut springs.

Back